• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 94
  • Total: 94
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Battery failure!!

Started by Jediboy, September 20, 2014, 09:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Yesterday I was photographing a freinds wedding when my Nikon EN-EL3e batteries deciced to give up on me. I had two, one in my D300 and one in a Nikon battery grip, and both had been fully charged the day before.
All was going well and batteries showing as being 'full' in the display when suddenly I had a battery empty symbol and the camera shut down. I couldn't have happened at a worse time!!! :'( :'( :doh:
Luckily I had another camera so carried on with that. But when I turned the D300 back on a while later the dispay showed batteries fully charged, but within seconds had shuit down again. This happened a few times more.
Later in the day, it was fine, and working normally with no issues.  ??? ???

I have no idea what this was about and am really confused by it.
Has anyone any ideas or experienced anything similar??
Thanks

Chris
May the Force be with you.

Chris

StephenBatey

I'm not a NIkon user (unless you cound a pair of binoculars) but a quick Google search revealed that there are known issues, that may or may not be the same as yours. Take a look http://blog.gerardprins.com/blog2.php/2010/05/22/enel3e-false-low-battery-warning-solutions.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Jediboy

Thanks Stephen, but the link is not working??
I did google it but couldn't find anything concrete. Some thoughts that it could be battery grip or some saying there could be a problem with batteries being left unused in the camera for a while. Nothing conclusive though, and I stil had the problem after I removed the battery grip.
Thanks though.

Chris

StephenBatey

Didn't work for me either. This time I won't bother with trying to insert a link. Try this

http://blog.gerardprins.com/blog2.php/2010/05/22/enel3e-false-low-battery-warning-solutions
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

jinky

I have read about issues with d300s / batteries before. Some suggested contacts issues and others firmware. Have you checked if your firmware is up to date as I am sure I read they did an update to deal with low battery issues s few years back. I feel for you having it happen on a wedding shoot. Good job you had back up and kept going - well done.

Graham

Similar issue with an EN-EL4a battery. Have two which I use in rotation, went to swap over, stone dead, didn't even register as being in the camera. The charger doesn't recognize it as being present either.
Contacted Nikon told them that it didn't gradually fade and that it just seemed to switch of. Their reply, "You need to buy another battery"!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jediboy

Thanks guys. I too had read about the contacts but everything seems in order there. I should update my firmware and should probably buy new batteries too - they are getting on a bit.
Funny thing is, everything is back to normal now and wprking as it should be. Very strange!?
Thanks again,
Chris

Chris

2Beers

I know a guy that has a Canon 7D with the same type of problem and he says its an error 99 ( general)

And he is having to send his camera off for repair

Oldboy

Quote from: Jediboy on September 21, 2014, 09:25:58 AM
Thanks guys. I too had read about the contacts but everything seems in order there. I should update my firmware and should probably buy new batteries too - they are getting on a bit.
Funny thing is, everything is back to normal now and wprking as it should be. Very strange!?
Thanks again,
Chris

Wonder if it was a bit of dirt/dust between contacts and it has now cleared it's self? Never had any problems with batteries in any of my Nikon cameras. Don't think Nikon's reply was very helpful considering the price they charge for their batteries.  :(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.