• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 101
  • Total: 101
  • Baidu
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

End of the road?

Started by Hinfrance, May 22, 2016, 10:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it time to stop the weekly competitions?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
2 (22.2%)
Just take a break
0 (0%)
Allow archive pictures that meet the theme
7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: May 27, 2016, 10:15:59 AM

jinky

Quote from: DigiDiva on June 02, 2016, 07:55:54 AM
I have been toying with returning, and you know I usually entered the weekly comp, but theres a few things that stop me.....1) the welcome  I might get 2) still feeling unwanted 3) the way things were when I left regarding comments being made at the time 4) the unfriendliness at that time towards me.

I'm not sure things have changed though........have they?
Well I`m happy enough to see you back even though Sunderland stayed up and the Toon  went donw  :'(.  I hope that others will be equally welcoming given the lack of action on here lately. Welcome back Chris /DD - follow it through  ;)

Not sure what i`ll do with the weekly comp as I liked the push to make me go out and shoot something specifically but recognise the majority rule so will see how it pans out. My memory / cataloguing system isn`t good enough to remind me of back catalogue images that might fit  theme so i`ll have to see what grabs me as the subjects unfold. If I get the chance to get any Yosemite images out / edited from this last week I might get an entry in but at the moment i`m buried in compensation claims / disputes from my trip

DigiDiva

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

anglefire

Quote from: DigiDiva on June 02, 2016, 07:55:54 AM
I have been toying with returning, and you know I usually entered the weekly comp, but theres a few things that stop me.....1) the welcome  I might get 2) still feeling unwanted 3) the way things were when I left regarding comments being made at the time 4) the unfriendliness at that time towards me.

I'm not sure things have changed though........have they?

I don't recall what you are talking about DD, but as I see it the problem with forums and the like, is that it is very hard to convey the right tone in a message - emoticons etc help, but even then it is very easy for the reader to misinterpret what is written and read what they "want" to read. Not that I'm suggesting that this is what happened, but just a general observation.

So, what am I saying? Well, I guess you are as welcome as you want to be - I am  :welcome: you again now and look forward to seeing your pictures  :cp: and comments.  :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

DigiDiva

anglefire

DD, I've just looked at your website and can I say that it looks good with some nice images - but one really small point that I think you need to change when you get the chance - something that just shouted at me when I first looked. In your about me section you have written "As aphotographer"
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jinky

Quote from: anglefire on June 04, 2016, 01:57:30 PM
DD, I've just looked at your website and can I say that it looks good with some nice images - but one really small point that I think you need to change when you get the chance - something that just shouted at me when I first looked. In your about me section you have written "As aphotographer"

This comment made me look again and see some nice images again but.... can I also add that it should be " others" in the 2nd paragraph and not "other`s". You see one post and you`ve had two prompts to help you sell already already. Hope you`ve had some sales.

DigiDiva

Quote from: anglefire on June 04, 2016, 01:57:30 PM

Cheers. I hadn't spotted that and haven't visited my website on a long time........it needs an update

DigiDiva

I have had sales but not from my site. These have come from word of mouth and craft fares.

jinky

Ah well - sales are sales.
I'm guessing people will be hailing the weekly comp a success with good entry numbers and good on those that want to use it in that way. I'm not really into using shots from back catalogues so for me I'll enter the odd time if I can get a shot that meets the brief in the timeframe or probably won't bother. I suppose it's a way for others to showcase their work if they so wish so all well and good and things move on. Maybe if it's about back catalogue work it doesn't need a week timeframe though?

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: jinky on June 07, 2016, 09:48:28 AM
Ah well - sales are sales.
I'm guessing people will be hailing the weekly comp a success with good entry numbers and good on those that want to use it in that way. I'm not really into using shots from back catalogues so for me I'll enter the odd time if I can get a shot that meets the brief in the timeframe or probably won't bother. I suppose it's a way for others to showcase their work if they so wish so all well and good and things move on. Maybe if it's about back catalogue work it doesn't need a week timeframe though?

Yes good to hear you are getting sales DD, selling prints via Internet on its own is difficult.

I will continue to try and seek a photograph to suit the weekly comp brief as and when I can; And perhaps only occasionally enter a back catalogue shot if it specifically nails the brief wholly to the spot.

I glanced back at a few Landscape shots in my archives but decided they were not Dramatic enough and that I ought to purposely get out and about more, looking for beauty spots that can really deliver with some punch when the time and light are right.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

DigiDiva

Is there a reason that I have missed, for there not being a weekly theme for this week? Or is there a theme and I can't find it? Im still trying to re-find my feet here

jinky

I think in the general apathy that was around there was agreement to have a weeks gap / see how the archived submissions worked and go from there. That said I've been away so missed it all

Hinfrance

You're not missing anything DD, there is a gap, and thinking it through there will be one in 10 day's time unless we set a topic for the week after next too. So I'll make a diary note to set one on 19th for that week.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.