• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Setting the weekly challenge.

Started by SimonW, September 17, 2013, 08:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is disappointed by the very low number of entries for the "Family" challenge, which stated a preference for a "people" shot but accepted alternative subjects. Was it just too difficult? I thought the idea of a challenge was to take people outside their comfort zones, but it seems this was too far outside for many of us. I find that interesting, given than the main subject of almost every one of the millions of photos taken by smartphone cameras is people.

So perhaps some comments regarding what might make a good weekly challenge, and why, would be useful....

(Also, I'm really not comfortable with entering a shot for a competition for which I myself chose the subject. Although I was previously advised that this was acceptable, it might be useful to know how others feel.)

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

michaelb104

I've got to hold my hands up here and say that I didn't enter the "Family" challenge, saying that I have not entered anything for the last few weeks as I am really busy with work at the moment.

From a personal point of view I do struggle when the weekly challenges involve taking photos of people.  Putting myself on the other end of the camera would I be happy for somebody to take my photo and show it on the internet, my answer has to be no so how can I ask somebody else to do something that I wouldn't be happy to do myself.
I think attitudes to having your picture on the internet has changed with the FaceTwit+ generation but for me my personal life is personal.  Yes I do have FB, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn accounts, do I use them, no, why do I have them, because my job is moving in the social direction so I have to know about them.

As for entering a shot for the challenge that you have picked then I am fine with that as we all do it just for the fun and if you get a vote then it is a bonus  ;)
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Hinfrance

Simon, firstly there is no problem entering a picture in a challenge you have set. I for one often set challenges, following the odd occasions when I have won, without the faintest idea of what I could do to meet it, and often failing miserably to do so.

Secondly like Mike my family avoids being seen on the internet. None of our various social networking sites have any recognisable images of us on them. And, as I explained when you set this particular challenge, the laws in France are very much against putting images on the web. In fact one of my daughter's school friends was lucky not to be expelled for posting a picture taken at school on her facebook account.

Hopefully I'll manage to get a picture of a suitable tree for this week, in between fighting with my DAW.;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

My apology for not entering this week. As Howard mentioned it is awkward in some ways in France, but I do like the sense in privacy it offers, and am quite glad not to be living in a country where anything and everything seems fair game  :uglystupid2: !

Other than that, time was not on my side but hopefully I will get a free moment to look for a lone tree.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

I do a lot of street photography at the moment, as I love the candid shots of the past, that give a glimpse of the world as was. A social document.
When I do individuals, I often show them the shot, and ask if it is okay with them.

I don't know if it is the 'facebook syndrome,' but when I am out with the camera,  people (especially young ones) often ask to be photographed. At events, there are always lots of photographers, from the press, participating groups, individuals.

I do not identify the people I photograph (apart from myself and one shot of my mother), and I do not photograph my own family as Daughter hates it and hubby and I are not that photogenic. I also find it difficult to get a natural shot. And even if I do not identify them as family, they will be recognised as 'belonging' to me. People will put two and two together, thus shattering anonymity.

About entering a shot in your 'own' competition; I have often thought, it would be so easy to set a challenge that you were sure of being able to do well. A certain object or subject that you know well for instance, but I have never done this, and I think most of us won't do it. But even if someone did, it would not really matter, as there could always be someone who does it better.
And everyone looks differently at a photograph, seeing things differently and therefore voting differently.

Do I make sense, or am I ranting?

Anyway, it's time for lunch, so I leave you to it!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

The Family project seems to have bemused and confused everyone and I was surprised that no one followed the other family suggestions that were made on the chat thread. i.e families of fruit, animals etc by species.

I actually went to the local fruit and veg shop and bought 1 white onion, 1 red onion, 1 pickling onion, 1 bulb of garlic, 1 leek, 1 bunch of spring onions in the hope that I could set up a still life of 'The Alium Family'. Strange looks from the checkout girl. ??? But I wasn't satisfied with the result  so didn't join in this week, and the missus has them ready for a stew or some such dish this week, so it wasn't a complete waste of time. :tup:

As for setting a theme for the competition, it's difficult to find something that not been already set. Most themes end up with pictures that illustrate the subject or object (doors, age, silhouettes, shadows etc.). A good theme should allow you to interpret it.

I well remember one project that I was set. Produce a photograph that fits the poem, Gray's Elegy Written In A Country Churchyard, with one proviso, no images of churches or gravestones allowed. It made you reread the poem and think a lot!

P.S. I even went as far as trying to find somewhere that sold the card game 'Happy Families', without success.

PPS. I've seen my tree picture already, all it's got to do is stop raining. :(

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on September 17, 2013, 04:24:24 PM

I well remember one project that I was set. Produce a photograph that fits the poem, Gray's Elegy Written In A Country Churchyard, with one proviso, no images of churches or gravestones allowed. It made you reread the poem and think a lot!

One of my favorite poems.  Would people today know what a Lee was? :tup:

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Oldboy on September 17, 2013, 04:49:52 PM

Lea  ;) usually green but ours is quite brown at present  :2funny:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Oldboy

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on September 17, 2013, 05:01:37 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on September 17, 2013, 04:49:52 PM

Should have checked the spelling. Thinking of Leeward.  :uglystupid2:

Lea  ;) usually green but ours is quite brown at present  :2funny:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.