• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 250
  • Total: 250
  • Google
  • Bingbot
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT: "Teeth" Jan 27th - Feb 2nd

Started by Kerry Holt, January 26, 2014, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Blimey, a bunch of cogs assembled into a block for use with a derailleur on a bike hasn't half distracted from the point in hand - the weekly competition.

If I win this week, next weeks theme will be Autistic Tendencies  :uglystupid2:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

DigiDiva

Hey, we live to learn. Its not just photography we learn here.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

Quote from: oggalily on February 04, 2014, 10:27:30 PM
OK, not only is it not a cassette, it's not a rear cassette either.  I stand corrected.  Now can somebody tell google?

Ogga, you'll need to tell wikipedia too, 'cos they call it a cogset as well as cassette. Just that, no rear. I started riding bicycles a long time ago and in those days things were just called what they were. A good friend of mine who is in to modern cycling lore visited me last year and we simply could not understand what bits of the bicycle we were each referring to. Yes, cassette was the one that caused me the most confusion. I didn't understand why my bikes would have cassettes as none of them had stereos. The problem is the use of insider jargon, as I was attempting to humorously illustrate. Obviously an epic fail*.

*that means I'll get my coat . .  :uglystupid2:

Quote from: DigiDiva on February 05, 2014, 07:34:42 AM
Hey, we live to learn. Its not just photography we learn here.

. . . and now you know that the nautical term for rope is sheet. You couldn't make it up. But at least a winch is a winch.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

kerbside

I understand that a rear cassette is made up of a number of sprockets, these when put together form a cassette, I have put a picture into the gallery to show this.

Hope this helps, or hinders, depending on what your thoughts are. :2funny:

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

SimonW

As a cyclist I agree that seems to be the common understanding. But to satisfy an earlier comment here that a casette is a container (eg a tape casette) perhaps the word really should (or perhaps originally did) refer to the "drum or barrel" (my words) on which all the sprockets fit, making up a unit which can be removed as a whole. So this part, although inside all the sprockets, does in fact contain them, in the sense of holding them all together.

Isn't the English language wonderful?
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

donoreo

Too bad I was not faster with my vacation photos.  I have some teeth for you ;)

DigiDiva

Was this taken near the Mayan pyramids?

donoreo

It was taken in the Xcaret ecological park.  I do not think it is original but a modern creation. 

Hinfrance

Trawling the interwebs, I discovered the etymology of some of the current push bike patois:

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

oggalily

That's excellent.

Though of course the D90 is the basic model - you could go for the SA90 upgrade for more demanding conditions  :legit:

Hinfrance

Quote from: oggalily on February 06, 2014, 12:21:07 PM
That's excellent.

Though of course the D90 is the basic model - you could go for the SA90 upgrade for more demanding conditions  :legit:

Certainly, if you expected to encounter mud  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

DigiDiva

Can anyone remember the song C30, C60 C90 GO! ??

jinky

Unfortunately yes - another McLaren created band Bow Wow Wow. Drumming like Adam and The Ants style cos he nicked some guys from there. Utter rubbish

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.