• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 103
  • Total: 103
  • Bingbot
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Camera cleaning

Started by Geoff, July 30, 2014, 02:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Hi all, I have been trying to remove some dirt spots that show up when I look though
my camera's eye piece, the dirt is not in my lenses as it is still there when I
don't have the lens on i have tried everything to clean them with no joy any advice.

Cheers Geoff

Graham

The good news is that if they show up through your eyepiece then they're not on your sensor.
(I'm assuming DSLR here.)

Could be on the mirror, carefully use a blower brush. The mirror is front surface coated and VERY easily scratched.
   Could be on the fresnel, this is on the underside of the pentaprism and is visible if you look into the camera through the "lenshole". if it's a posh camera it may be possible to remove the fresnel, have a look in the manual (It's in the attic with the boxes!)
   Could be under the eyepiece. Remove the eyepiece, there may be a trick to this, again check the manual (It's in the bin.) and go at it with the blower brush.
   If all this fails, learn to live with it as it doesn't affect your pictures and in all probability it will dislodge itself and fall somewhere less visible (But infinitely more damaging.)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

SimonW

I had something similar with my Pentax - specks on the focussing screen. This link shows how to clean that. I found it scary to think about doing, but easy in practice once I plucked up the courage to try it.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/k10den.htm

Your camera might well be similar, or maybe you'll find specific instructions on line.

Good Luck.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

donoreo

It is probably dust on the focusing screen OR between the focusing screen and prism.  I have replaced my focus screen on my Canon 450D, it is not hard.  It was all clean when I was done, now I have dust again.  None on the sensor, so I am ok.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.