• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 63
  • Total: 63
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Please can we stop now?

Started by Chris P, September 06, 2009, 06:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris P

Please, please, please can we stop with the threads bemoaning the demise of DCM and the going live of PR?

If you don't like PR - don't use it!

Move on.  For the last 6 months all I've seen on DCM, and now here, is constant, continual complaining about:

• Not getting an invite to beta test PR (really - you actually want to beta test someone else's website for them?!  For free?!)
  • Still not getting an invite
  • The number of registered users on PR (who cares?!)
  • Whether PR will be live any time this year
  • Still not getting an invite
  • Shutting down DCM
  • Why people don't like the new forums etc. etc.

Yes I know it was badly handled and badly organised but it's over.  Gone.  Finished.  Done.

Frankly I won't miss things like "Owner of the longest thread" which was nothing more than a load of people who rarely if ever posted anywhere else on the site in the last 2 years.  I can only describe it as incestuous and self-sustaining.  Hardly a loss is it?

There were some good threads on DCM, some great regular users and a generally very friendly environment.  The same is true here.  The same might be true of PR once it takes off a bit.  If you're not a fan of the PR forums then forget them and move on.  Please?

Eileen

Chris, if you don't like reading those comments, then please don't read them.

I would never dream of trying to tell you or anyone else what you should be interested in or care about or post about. The beauty of a forum like this is that people can talk about whatever they want to, within limits.

Chris P

Eileen

I don't mean to imply that anyone is being told what to do and I understand why people have felt annoyed and frustrated with the DCM-PR switch, especially the way it's been handled.

My point is that it's done.  DCM is now gone and PR is now live and out of beta.  We should move on.

QuoteThe beauty of a forum like this is that people can talk about whatever they want to
My problem is that DCM/PR seems to be all that anyone ever talks about!

ABERS

QuoteThe beauty of a forum like this is that people can talk about whatever they want to
My problem is that DCM/PR seems to be all that anyone ever talks about!
[/quote]

It's a bit like that Dancing programme on TV, I don't watch it because I don't like it, if you don't like discussions on DCM/PR don't read them, it's as simple as that.
I apply that principle to threads about equipment. ;)

greypoint

I think it will die away. The reason for the frustration about non invites was that we kept being told we'd get one and did'nt - thay had to be done manually - it would havre been so easy to shut us up and send the bloomin'things! We kept being told how much they valued their regular contributors and how wonderful everything was going to be and it was'nt. The opportunity for a top class site as you'd hope for from someone like Future has been lost. I keep having a look to see if it's any better but apart from a few people trying to get some sort of interest it's just not taking off. And all the glitches and problems that are still there don't help. So having already lost most of any small interest I had and starting to forget all about it ....here I am contributing to a thread all about it again..... ::)

Chris P

The irony is I started a thread about it.

OB - It's not about not reading them - it's about that fact that it seems that's all the threads have been about

</rant>

Simple

Chris, I have some sympathy for what you are saying, but.....
A lot of us have been on that site for a long time, some of us for 6 years. That is a long time and a change like this is not easily forgotten.
Give people some time and it will all dissappear but never forgotten. I hope we are all here on this site in 6 years time, and it is very likely that
the DCM site is mentioned than, because that is where a lot of us know each other from.

Chris P

Perhaps I should clarify what I mean...

I know a lot of people have been on the site for a long time.  I'd been on it for over 2 and a half years myself.

And I know that I don't have to read every thread but, to use Alan's analogy, when "that dancing show" is on it seems to pervade your world - it's everywhere.  That's what this has been like.

Every now and again someone pops up asking for advice or C&C or with something else but most of the threads - even if they don't start off that way - seem to degenerate into stream of "isn't PR rubbish" and other related moaning.

And, yes, I know we all like a moan, why do you think I'm writing this.  But considering the cumulative wealth of experience and talent on this, and the DCM, forum I've seen little about actual photography.  I joined DCM to learn, and learn I did.

I am a significantly better photographer than I used to be and that's mainly thanks to advice, hints, tips, techniques, critique and inspiration through the forums.  It just seems that, since the beginning of the end of DCM, that air of helpfulness and friendly advice has dissipated and we've been left with an "us against them" attitude between the users and the admins.  I want my photography forum to be about photography and with some general chatter, not a battle ground.

picsfor

Quote from: Chris P on September 06, 2009, 09:53:07 AM
It just seems that, since the beginning of the end of DCM, that air of helpfulness and friendly advice has dissipated and we've been left with an "us against them" attitude between the users and the admins.  I want my photography forum to be about photography and with some general chatter, not a battle ground.

Welcome to CC, where the Admins word is final because he owns the site. Where people are genuinely working together instead of fighting to make this a great site.

The spirit of your thread is well made - but like most changes - will take time to implement. When making posts now i'm conscious of the need to get back to photography and not continue PR or DCM slating - but -

and this is the rub of it -

it was "us" the community members that made the site what it was and bent over backwards to try and help Future make it even better - after being invited by them!
The rewards for our efforts was a stern kick in the teeth. It's like MP's expenses - it will die down but it won't be forgotten.

For me now - helping to make this a great site and getting the word out is more important than PR and DCM bashing.
You can't bash something that no longer exists, and PR will live or die by its revenue stream - because ultimately that's what PR is - a revenue stream first, photographic community second.

But thanks for starting another DCM & PR bashing thread  ;D ;D ;D

Alfonso_Frisk

While we are on the subjrct, has anyone noticed how shoite photoradar is? ;D
OOPs wrong forum :-X
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Chris P

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on September 06, 2009, 10:23:25 AM
While we are on the subjrct, has anyone noticed how shoite photoradar is? ;D
OOPs wrong forum :-X
RR
Alf

:'( :'(

It's a bit shoite but it's not that bad.  But I only use the forums, never looked at the rest of the site, and they're working fine for me.  They might liven up or they might not.  But who cares?  We're here - CC works and its friendly.

Spiritflier

I can understand both sides of this particular argument... I used the DC forum for a couple of years and even got a magazine article (and a couple of hundred quid) out of the place. I also met a whole bunch of people who I've come to know quite well... I've even managed to meet up with a lot and a fair few are also on my Facebook list.

Unfortunately, there were too many idiots on there towards the end, so I made a conscious (and publicly stated) decision to leave. My worry with PhotoRadar is that those same idiots will drift over there as well so staying here amongst people I already know makes sense.

I don't get the magazine anymore and Flickr is a far easier place to host pictures...

Best thing to do as far as I'm concerned is to stay here and let Mick keep the idiots out!  ;D

John Doyle2

Hi Chris, The irony of your topic is. You have increased the amount of post on the very subject that you are tired of.
My own feeling is DCM is dead and gone forever! Long life to PR and may it prosper.
Likewise[Long life, that is] for C.C.

Oldboy

Quote from: Spiritflier on September 06, 2009, 11:26:03 AM

Best thing to do as far as I'm concerned is to stay here and let Mick keep the idiots out!  ;D

To late, I'm already here!!!!  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Hybridphotog

Quote from: Oldboy on September 06, 2009, 12:27:53 PM
To late, I'm already here!!!!  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Ditto!  ;D

My only gripe with the new site, is the fact that it doesn't work as it should. Various bugs have been reported, and the powers-that-be seem to be not bothered about them.

Also, the lack of communications between various members of staff, but I suspect that was inevitable really... given the amount of feedback Future give anyway.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.