• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 15
  • Total: 15
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

itunes to disk

Started by alan1572, March 15, 2011, 03:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan1572

worst of it is is that it's 4 weeks over 12 months old, so if there's a fault it will probably be expensive :'(
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on March 27, 2011, 11:39:52 PM
Don't get this trouble with a PC running Windows!  :P

Sigh............

Steps to fix Mac problems (in general - this is pretty much a go to list if something weird starts happening)

After each step retry your task - if it fixes it then you don't need to continue with list but apart from losing program settings this list does nothing dangerous.

1. Check software updates - Apple menu, software updates... - install anything it finds
2. Repair permissions (disk utility, select boot disk, on the first aid tab select "repair permissions") - some Mac experts recommend running this weekly.  You can get apps that do this automatically.
3a. If it's Photoshop or Elements then trash the preferences - hold down option, command and shift as you start PS - this will delete most of your program settings - it will be like a new install
3b. For anything else delete the .plist for the app - note that this will lose you all your settings for that app.
4. Zap the PRAM.  Turn off Mac, turn on while holding Option P and R until you hear 3 chimes (like the usual 1)

Pretty much that will fix stuff.  If it doesn't then you can ask for a free appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Mac store to diagnose it.
It's Guest's round

alan1572

cheers Jonathan, tried all to no avail, phoned up apple care (forgot i had it) and the only thing she tried was the  p+r thing, i then phoned apple in the trafford center and booked an appointment, they tried a few things and then told me the laser was goosed, there is 1 for dvds and 1 for cd's, anyway it'll be gone for 6 days and hopfully it will be fixed :)

Oldboy

Quote from: alan1572 on March 30, 2011, 04:53:22 PM
Laser was goosed.

I think it you not the laser that was goosed - buying a Mac!  :2funny: :dance: :legit:

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on March 30, 2011, 11:12:57 PM
Quote from: alan1572 on March 30, 2011, 04:53:22 PM
Laser was goosed.

I think it you not the laser that was goosed - buying a Mac!  :2funny: :dance: :legit:

Yeah because if he'd bought a PC, oh wait, it would have been out of warranty....

I'm always in 2 minds over Applecare - on the one hand the service is absolutely great and not too pricey, on the other hand I don't think I've ever needed it.
It's Guest's round

rksmith51

@jonathan, love the signature, if I had not seen the thread about the "code" i would be a worried man :)
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

anglefire

I have a Mac laptop - which I love - and a desktop PC - which I sort of love - at the moment I think it needs a complete format C: and re-install. And more memory. And it keeps failing to restart - have to leave it a minute or two before restarting - which is annoying when an update is installed.

I would happily (Apart from the cost) go to a Apple desktop - but the wife doesn't like the Apple much - too many things are different to the PC. But then, she doesn't like change.

I've read that the reliability of PC's and MAC's is about the same - though I would say that due to the marketing model of Apple, they score about a million times better when it comes to customer service.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

alan1572

when i ...errr i mean my daughter bought her new mac with her student discount she was offered apple care for £40, glad she did now, it's ready to pick up today :)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.