• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 269
  • Total: 269
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

tiffs

Started by nickt, November 18, 2009, 12:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickt

Can any one help me? I'm running CS2 and for some reason I can no longer save my files as tiffs. It says there's a problem with the tiiff format, yet I can open tiffs and work on them. I now have to save the files as PSDs. Not that this is a problem, but if I would like to have the option.

Thanks Nick

Oldboy

My guess is it's a jpeg file which is 8 bit. Need to open in Bridge select the picture and click on File and from the dropdown list select Camera Raw. Use the Save Image, at bottom of this Window and from the File Extension select Tif.  ;D

Hinfrance

Tiffs can be 8 or 16 bit. Are you sure it is not just an option at the end of the file type list that you need to scroll down to?

I stopped using tiffs a while back - too big. I use .wdp or .hdp (HD Photo) format courtesy of M$ - more compact and lossless if you want. To have it available you'll need to download the file type from M$ and install it on all your editing software.

Hope you sort it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

nickt

The file is already a tiff as I've converted it using Nikon View NX. Once I've done some work on it and try to save it as a tiff again, I get....'could not save because of a problem with the file-format module interface" It used to be o.k. but not now. I've uninstalled cs2 completely and re-installed but all to no avail.
Nick

Jonathan

I've a funny feeling that Nikon's "software" writes tiffs that aren't quite right.  IIRC they follow standards but not in the way anybody else does.

I'd start by rummaging around in the preferences of NX to see if there's a "do things properly" setting.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: nickt on November 18, 2009, 01:17:31 PM
The file is already a tiff as I've converted it using Nikon View NX. Once I've done some work on it and try to save it as a tiff again, I get....'could not save because of a problem with the file-format module interface" It used to be o.k. but not now. I've uninstalled cs2 completely and re-installed but all to no avail.
Nick

Ah! Well as Jonathan said it could be down to NX. Most Raw file are just Tiffs which are different for each camera maker. Try changing the file extension to NEF and see it that works.  :o

nickt

I think it is down to ViewNX as I can save an old tiff file (from 18months ago) as a new tiff file with no problems. It's funny that it's just started now though, its been fine for months. I'm only using viewnx as I've got a d300 and I can't use the current Camera Raw with cs2. I've tried converting the NEF files to DNGs, but cs2 says they're not compatible with my Camera Raw even though I downloaded the correct one at the time, version 5 I think it was. Still I think I'll proceed with psds.

Thanks

Nick

Forseti

Sorry, not a clue how to post the actual image here. Anyway, here's the link (or the image - whichever works LOL )

http://cameracraniums.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4277

In the last box (box 4) of the DNG converter there is a Preference option. I would guess that you are leaving this set to v5.4 which of course isn't readable by CS2. I would suggest you set v2.4 in the Preferences as this will be readable by CS2

This is a screen grab from version 5.5 of the DNG converter (the latest)  by the way and if this isn't your current version then it can be downloaded from here; http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4576
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

nickt

Thanks for that forsetti, but do you know if that version will work with the raw files from a d300? I'll give it a try tonight when I get in.
Thanks again.
Nick
Just checked, I can only use v 3.7 with CS2 and this doesn't recognise the raw files from the d300.

Forseti

Strange - when I open the 'Change Preferences' in the stand alone DNG Converter 5.5, under the 'Compatability' box it gives the options of:

Camera Raw 2.4 and later
Camera Raw 4.1 and later
Camera Raw 4.6 and later
Camera Raw 5.4 and later

I would have thought that Camera Raw 3.7 (the one you say you need) would have fallen within the first option i.e. Camera Raw 2.4 and later.

Failing that - I've just had a look at the Adobe web site and have noticed that support for the D300 was introduced in Camera Raw 4.3.1 and the DNG Converter 4.3.1. Furthermore, this version of the DNG Converter will work with CS2. Further info and download from here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3820 .........although I'm still baffled as to why version 5.5 doesn't appear to work when it clearly states the compatability options which I've listed above.  

I'm also not entirely sure where you get the idea that you needed 3.7 as Adobe state that support for the D300 was first introduced in version 4.3 (see info in the link given).
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

nickt

Hi Forseti, Converting the files with the  DNG converter v 4.3 is not a problem. The problem arises when I try to open the file in cs2. It tells me that Camera Raw is not compatible with this file. That's because it's version 3.7. Any version of Camera Raw above this will not work with CS2. It states this at the bottom of the page. To use a higher version of Camera Raw I 've got to buy CS3 or CS4! Also when I open the preferences box in dng converter, there are only references to jpegs, nothing about compatability. This was why I started to use View NX as at least I could convert the file to tiff and use it in CS2. But that's all gone to pot! Thanks for your help and patience.
Nick

anglefire

Convert to DNG rather than Tiff, that should work ok in CS2.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Forseti

Quote from: Forseti on November 20, 2009, 08:44:55 AM
Quote from: nickt on November 20, 2009, 12:13:38 AM
Also when I open the preferences box in dng converter, there are only references to jpegs, nothing about compatability.

Nick - have you downloaded and installed version 5.5 of the DNG converter? As you will see from the following screenshot, when clicking on the Change Preferences button Here  another menu pops up and at the top of this menu appears the Compatability options.Here  

This is where the 4 options appear and in my screenshot I have set it to 2.4 and above.

Camera Raw 2.4 and later
Camera Raw 4.1 and later
Camera Raw 4.6 and later
Camera Raw 5.4 and later

Another thought that just struck me is are you jusing the standalone version of the DNG Converter? If so, it installs in C:\\Program Files\Adobe . I myself located this file, right-clicked on it and created a shortcut on the desktop. Once on the desktop double-click to open it and then click on 'About' (bottom left hand side) - it should read version 5.5

nickt

Hi Forseti, Downloaded DNG version 5.5, sussed out that I had the wrong version of Camera Raw. Downloaded version 3.7. I can now open the converted DNG files and then save them as tiffs if I want ;D . All is well in the world tonight!. Thanks very much for your help and patience.

A very happy Nick

Forseti

Thank heavens for that then.  :-*

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.