• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 172
  • Total: 172
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Blacks come out blue

Started by Sarasocke, March 17, 2010, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

Another problem with my printing ....

I most certainly am doing something wrong here, but I don't know what. When I print out a photo with black, parts of it come out dark blue, even with b & w photographs.

The photo in my gallery of "Sabine" for instance has a little dark blue under the lady's left arm and in a fold of the cloth over the shoulder. (and yes, she has given her permission :) )
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

Take your pick - printer settings, software settings.

I know you're not shooting with XP1 or XP2 and developing under C41 process which also creates the same output - ooh get me giving my age away  ::)

My Canon Pixma 4600 is prone to trying to output with a blue hue but i've only tried to print to it the twice and worked out it was cheaper to send off and get the picture printed than print it out myself!
What printer are you using - that might help as well with answers

Sarasocke

QuoteWhat printer are you using

Pixma 4500 :)

I find in general that the prints are just fine with the Pixma. I've done calenders and all sorts of stuff with no problems.
Except this black/blue business.

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Hinfrance

Have you soft proofed your pictures?

I have a Pixma too, and I don't have any trouble with accuracy black and white pictures. Or colour ones either. But then I don't use Photoshop to print them.

Couple of questions: are you using genuine Canon inks? when you say 'even with black and white photographs' are these images whose colour mode is greyscale?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Malcolm1938

I have just taken the libety of copying your image onto my desktop and printing it using my Epson R285 using compatible inks and a sheet of paper that came free with those inks (it's of Chinese origin) and there is nothing wrong with the blacks at all. I printed it using the Epson Easy Print software that comes with the printer. The only setting changed was the selection of the vivid and clear option.
PM me an address and I'll send you this print (I've already deleted your image).
There is nothing wrong with you image so it must be down to the equipment or software you print with.

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Sarasocke

Howard, have to be blond here - what is "soft proof" ?

I have the same problem whether RGB or greyscale.

The inks are original Canon.

I've just tried using the original Canon SW to print, same problem.
CannOffice - if you would send me your mail address, I'd like to send you another photo which is worse than the one posted here in the gallery. Would that be OK ?

Thanks for your help!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Hinfrance

Carol, if you don't knonw what soft proofing is then you probably don't need to know. It's a way of emulating on screen what your prints should look like using a given profile. But if you are using Canon's own and you haven't created or bought any new ones then you can safely ignore the concept.

If the printer is tinging everything you print and no matter which programme you use, then that would suggest a hardware problem. Have you given the printer a deep clean using the software that came with it? Have you been able to try the same files with a friend or neighbour's printer to see what happens?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Sarasocke

I clean regularly using the normal Canon software to be found in the Canon Solution Menu, not sure if this is a "deep" clean tho.

Any other colours are printed fine, clear and sharp. That's why I think I must be doing something wrong.
A good idea to try on another printer. A friend of mine has a pixma too, I'll pop round and visit her. Sometimes you can't see the wood for trees, thanks Howard  :tup:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

michaelb104

Carol, I was having colour issues with my Pixma 4600 when printing photos.   In the try everything to sort it out I went and bought some expensive(ish) canon photo paper. I've got to say it made a huge difference after I'd selected the matching paper profile in PS Elements.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Mick

Quote from: michaelb104 on March 17, 2010, 04:54:48 PM
Carol, I was having colour issues with my Pixma 4600 when printing photos.   In the try everything to sort it out I went and bought some expensive(ish) canon photo paper. I've got to say it made a huge difference after I'd selected the matching paper profile in PS Elements.

I was going to suggest trying a different paper.  Had this problem with some paper I was given a while back.  I now know why it was given to me.  ::)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Sarasocke

Thanks guys - I will certainly give that a go!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Sarasocke

OK, did a deep clean, adjusted the heads, printed on Canon paper.
Still blue. grrrrrr.... >:(

Mike, just to be sure - where is the "paper profile" in elements? Sometimes things get lost in translation with me.

Tomorrow I'm visiting a friend to print out the pciture on her Pixma.

The photo I'm using to test is this - it's a piece cut out of a larger photo.

The main picture is of a black material with creases, so there are shadows. The lighter shadows come out grey with a slight blue tinge. The darker shadows are dark blue. The grey frame is grey, the black frame comes out navy blue.

If anyone feels like trying it out, fell free :)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Hinfrance

I didn't print it Carol, but the screenshot is definitely all greys and blacks according to the histogram.

I'm not sure what to suggest.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

michaelb104

Quote from: Sarasocke on March 18, 2010, 05:34:35 PM
Mike, just to be sure - where is the "paper profile" in elements? Sometimes things get lost in translation with me.

Hi Carol,

When you open the print box (File > Print) in Elements there is a drop down list called Printer Profile (could be under colour management), from this list I'm using 'Canon IP4600 series PR1'.

I think these are some of the matches of profiles to paper:
PR1 = Photo Paper Pro (print quality level 1)
PR2 = Photo Paper Pro (quality level 2)
SP1 = Photo Paper Plus Glossy (quality level 1)
MP1 = Matte Photo Paper (quality level 1).

I'm using Elements 8 which I think has the printer profile in a different place to the other versions.

Found a link to a Canon ICC Profile Guide > www.sns.ias.edu/~jns/files/Canon_ICC_Profile_Guide.pdf

Mike.

Just a bit more, I tried opening the photo you put into the thread in PSE8 and I got the following message:

The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC is invalid

I'm not sure what this means as I'm at the limit of my knowledge now, I did print the photo and the blacks were black.  I'm not sure that is any help though.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Jonathan

Simple.  Get a better printer.

The Pixma 4600 sells for about 60 quid.  These days that's about the cost of printing an instruction manual, packaging up a CD and putting an empty box on the shelf.

It has black ink in it but it won't generally use it for photo printing.  Instead it will mix the coloured ink.  It's remarkably hard to get all shades of grey out of coloured ink.  It's even harder to get it out of a single black cartridge.

My advice would be give up ;)  Either accept that some monochrome areas are going to have a colour cast, print it at a lab or get a better printer.  Some of the new Epsons have 3 - 4 grey cartridges.  Lyson make a dedicated monochrome set for some printers.  Mixing it out of different colours in a cheap printer is never going to work.  A "better printer" is likely to be expensive.  I'd get somebody else to print it.
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.