• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 111
  • Total: 111
  • Google
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Chat PENETRATING LIGHT Weekly Comp 29th Oct 4th Nov 2012

Started by Beaux Reflets, October 28, 2012, 09:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Quote from: DigiDiva on November 03, 2012, 07:59:01 AM
Quote from: beauxreflets on November 02, 2012, 09:11:11 PM
Taking advantage of a break in the clouds

I tried for a similar shot like this in the Summer in tenerife. There were insects on the leaves and as the sun penetrated the leaf, the insect (from behind the leaf) was in silhouette. However, each time I tried to get the shot of the silhouette, the bleeding insects would fly off!!!

The blood would have left a silhouette!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

SimonW

Decisions, decisions! Now I've got two to choose from - which to post?

(Please don't influence the comp by answering that.)
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: SimonW on October 29, 2012, 12:38:32 PM
A very interesting topic. ... Thanks for the challenge.

Glad you enjoyed the challenge Simon  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Found this one rather tough Andy, partly because I was/am not entirely sure what you meant by penetrating light - should it be light perceived or the effect of light penetration on a subject?

Anyway, given the rubbish weather during the latter part of the week, I went out into the garden, plucked a few leaves from a small bush, pegged them to an opaque piece of acrylic and blasted them from behind with a flash.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 04, 2012, 01:57:05 PM
Found this one rather tough Andy, partly because I was/am not entirely sure what you meant by penetrating light - should it be light perceived or the effect of light penetration on a subject?

Anyway, given the rubbish weather during the latter part of the week, I went out into the garden, plucked a few leaves from a small bush, pegged them to an opaque piece of acrylic and blasted them from behind with a flash.

Are we taking the brief too literally? I was wondering about penetrating/penetrated too.

Beaux Reflets

Sorry if the brief was / is confusing.   :-[

"portray penetrating light" to me suggests; that the viewer of the photograph should be able to determine / see the penetrating light recorded within the image. As would be seen with images with translucent objects in them, images displaying beams of light, or both etc.

Reinardina

Quote from: beauxreflets on November 04, 2012, 04:59:31 PM
Sorry if the brief was / is confusing.   :-[

"portray penetrating light" to me suggests; that the viewer of the photograph should be able to determine / see the penetrating light recorded within the image. As would be seen with images with translucent objects in them, images displaying beams of light, or both etc.

It was really quite clear to me Andy; it's one of those occasions where you can get lost (I can anyway), if you're trying too hard! Or thinking too hard.
I knew exactly what I was after, and photographed sunlight falling into a wood, through a gap in the trees. Penetrating light.

Then I spotted a yellow leaf on an ivy covered fence; The leaf was lit by sunlight, and lit up the whole area that was otherwise in the shade. In my enthusiasm, it was some time before I realised what I was doing, and that I was off course. The sunlight had already penetrated the trees and had reached its destination. Penetrated light.

My gut instinct was right and I knew what you were after, and later got confused. And now that I'm thinking about it, I get confused again!

Language can be very confusing!

kerbside

Now I'm confused as well, think I'm in brief as the flame on my candle gives off light which is showing/ perpetrating through the candle body.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Reinardina

Quote from: kerbside on November 04, 2012, 08:33:47 PM
Now I'm confused as well, think I'm in brief as the flame on my candle gives off light which is showing/ perpetrating through the candle body.

It is Jeff, and the flame itself is penetrating the dark, so in my opinion right on two counts.

I have confused myself, and I'm sorry if I have confused others as well. I can get entangled in the meaning of words, maybe because English is my second language, and I want to get it right.
Sorry!

Hinfrance

Light always 'penetrates' the dark, so by definition anything that isn't completely black would qualify on that basis.

I don't think we should worry our pretty little heads about this any more; whichever way we have interpreted the brief is OK.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 05, 2012, 08:03:09 AM
Light always 'penetrates' the dark, so by definition anything that isn't completely black would qualify on that basis.

I don't think we should worry our pretty little heads about this any more; whichever way we have interpreted the brief is OK.

I can get obsessed about things, simply can't help it. I'll let this rest now.

Beaux Reflets

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.