• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

2 new Sonys

Started by krennon, August 27, 2010, 05:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krennon

WOOHOO
Sony are releasing two new models the A560 (14.2mp) and the A580 (16.2mp) Or A55 and A33 for the UK market by the look of it. Both with HD Video Capture and Sweep Panorama mode....and HDR function. I reckon these could be SERIOUS contenders to the CANIK market...both with SSS inside so any lens is automatically stabilised...at first glance both look good, will be interested to read the reviews when they come out....sadly out of my price range at the moment but anyone looking for a feature packed DSLR could do a lot worse than either of these
Jessops are already listing the A560 at £649.00 with 18-55mm lens no price for the 580 yet but that's being released later this year or early next going by the reports....
So Sony have finally stepped up the war against the big 2 could they be aiming for that no. 3 spot or aiming to go higher given the "Brand Power" of Sony I reckon they could possibly knock Canon off at least for a while given the issues with Canon at the moment....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

picsfor

Knock Canon off what?

Didn't know they were on anything?

Oh hang on - no i've read that statement and realised they must be on something...  :o

anglefire

The Sales are bad at Canon, but Sony would really have to go some to get close to the same volume.

Sony's biggest problem is lenses. They just don't have good sensibly priced pro ones as far as I can see. (Though I could easily be wrong :tup: )

And lets also not forget, that Nikon have only just (Last 2 years) got Canon worried on with their Proconsumer/pro camera's. All of Canon's for years have been better. The lower spec Nikon's are still only average at best on the noise front.

But I'm a die hard Canon user, so I do have rose coloured glasses. Cool eh.  8)

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Oh, and what issues BTW?

Apart from sales?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

spinner

Can I get a discount if I let them disconnect the HD video? If I wanted video I'd buy a camcorder.  :P
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Carlj

The A55/33 interest me to some degree. New AF module should make some of my shots a little easier to achieve. Video, nah, not for me. Still, new technology hey, maybe Canon will do something special with the 60D...oh, hold on   :legit:

picsfor

Quote from: Carlj on August 27, 2010, 10:26:34 PM
maybe Canon will do something special with the 60D

yeah, withdraw it and admit they've made an awful mistake  :tup: ;) (said the Canon owner to Zebedee)

Jonathan

It hurts so much to see Sony so completely miss the point.

Yeah they have great cameras and great innovations.  So did Minolta.  (Hmm, what happened to them....?)

Pros need dependability.  If one of my Nikons breaks down then Nikon will have it repaired in 5 days or loan me one until they can fix it.  If I couldn't do that for some reason I'd call up a hire place and have an identical camera at my door in 48 hours.  All my lenses and flashguns would fit and all the buttons would be in the right places.

If a lens went down on me I could either rent or call up any one of about 20 people I know who might be persuaded to lend me some kit.  I can also buy cheap consumer lenses as backup or just for fun.  And scour my local camera shop for second hand bargains to add to the toy cupboard.

Same is true of Canon.

If Sony want to make serious inroads into the pro market then one business plan would be

1. Set up a hire firm or flood the hire firms with discounted Sony kit - make it as easy and cheaper to hire Sony kit than anything else.
2. Provide a complete pro repair service - loan out a camera as soon as yours goes in for repair.
3. Get some high end pros to use their cameras and shout about them - they really do have some nice stuff.  (And yes, I may be available..... :) )

Then they will become an aspirational brand and this will trickle down to the consumer market.

Because I'm not sure they get that people don't buy Sonys because they are Sonys.  Making better and more technical cameras isn't helping them.

And in case you need it - here's a reminder of the numbers http://nikonrumors.com/2010/07/08/nikon-1.aspx  Canon's market share FELL by more than Sony's share.  And if I read their charts right the D3000 (the 5th most popular DSLR in the world) sold more by volume than all Sonys put together.  Oh and apart from Canon, Sony were the only manufacturer to lose market share in 1st half 2010.....
It's Guest's round

ABERS

Perhaps Sony are not interested too much in the 'pro' market. Not being privy to their marketing strategy or the market split between those who call themselves professionals and those that are amateurs, I would think the greatest growth potential for sales lies with the latter.

Carlj

There lies the nub....Sony do have one or two pros using their gear, and proudly, but this sector of the market is much harder to crack than the entry level/enthusiast level. So momentum is slow. Time will tell whether it becomes a sector that Sony wants.

Jonathan

Quote from: ABERS on August 28, 2010, 10:37:59 AM
Perhaps Sony are not interested too much in the 'pro' market.

14 MP, 7 fps and a body only price of around a grand.  Not your average beach camera.

But my point was that aspirational marketing and "trickle down" seems to be working for the guys who are actually shifting a lot of cameras.  Sony's "cramming loads of cool features and then flogging them without support" isn't.

When they launched the A100 the had a stated aim of being "number 3" in some time period (I forget).  They can't do that without models for each market.
It's Guest's round

nickt

Don't Sony make the sensors for Nikon? Or is this an urban myth? If they do, couldn't they push how great their sensors are?

Nick

Jonathan

Quote from: nickt on August 28, 2010, 11:24:41 AM
Don't Sony make the sensors for Nikon? Or is this an urban myth?

Nobody (apart from the obvious people) seem to know for sure.

http://www.alphamountworld.com/forums/sony-news-and-rumors/sonynikon-sensor-partnership-dead/2010-8/6219

Either way it makes no odds.  It's a myth that Nikon go to Sony and ask what they have on their shelf and Sony sell the junk and keep the good stuff for themselves.  Nikon specify exactly what the sensor should do and "a company" fab it to order.  

It's also a myth that any company makes the best tech they possibly can regardless of cost.  So if Sony do make sensors for Nikon it's because they can make them cheaper than anybody else - not necessarily better.
It's Guest's round

ABERS

This is like sitting in watching a focus group who know a lot about a little and sod all about anything important! :legit:

Hinfrance

The two new Pentaxes expected at Photokina use Sony sensors. I was hoping that they would be announcing a FF model, but apparently they are quite happy to have a gaping hole in the product range between the APS-C models and the 645 (which I reckon is about 5 years too late to market)

The Sony's do sound interesting, but on the whole I think the tech is in rather a state of flux at the moment, what with EVIL cameras allegedly on the rise. And why doesn't anyone make an SLR with a fast switching LCD mirror? Or is that what the 'transluscent' mirror in the new Sony's is?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.