• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 54
  • Total: 54
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Chat Thread for Weekly Competition 12th - 18th November 2012. "Close to Home"

Started by SimonW, November 11, 2012, 10:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

We've had a run of quite challenging and imaginative themes lately, so for a change this is a very simple one. Photo of something attractive or interesting either from a window in your home or within easy walking range outside. If you really need a greater challenge try to illustrate the idiomatic/figurative sense of the phrase "close to home".

The challenge is that (again in contrast to recent weeks) NO PHOTOSHOPPING ALLOWED, not even cropping. Entries should be untouched jpg files straight off the camera. However, if you cannot set your camera to produce jpgs of suitable (smaller) size for uploading, you may use an editor to reduce the file size.

The theme for this week's comp is "Close to Home"

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 12th November 2012 to 23:59pm Sunday 18th November 2012.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 19th November 2012.
Poll will be up Tuesday 20th until Friday 23rd November.
Winner to be announced Saturday 24th November.

The Rules for the weekly competition are:-

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
create an entries thread
create a chat thread
create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx as above

pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Nice on Simon - suits my current indolent mood ;)

I'll have to see what sizes my camera will do jpgs.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

I hope this week's task will be easy enough to encourage lots of interesting entries.

And I also felt that I was getting a bit lazy at the shutter-pressing moment, knowing that I could straighten and crop (and even make corrections to exposure) in RAW - especially where only small pixel counts are required for the final version. And I don't suppose I'm the only one.
So for this week we really do need to take care at the shooting stage, though it should be easy to return for several attempts if you're not happy with the first try.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Matthew

Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

SimonW

Now that I've tried, I did find it quite a challenge. First five days too dark, grey and damp, or else foggy, or wet. I spent some time playing with the in-camera jpg settings I'd never looked at before, turned up saturation and contrast to cope with the mist.
Then today was bright enough to shoot the planned scene:

But I didn't like the result (only partly because I'd forgotten to lower the jpg saturation setting when the weather cleared) and luckily found a much better view close by, which I've entered.

Now I'm happy - Ive learned that given sufficient care at the taking stage, shooting jpgs can work - but I'm not convinced I can choose the very best colour balance or saturation levels using only the camera's screen.
And I do actually enjoy the "development" stage so RAW will remain my prefered option.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Matthew

Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reinardina

I can only shoot JPEG, so that is no problem for me. I have difficulty keeping a straight horizon though, and also cannot really 'see' the shot properly, till it's on my laptop.
But I did manage my, rather dark, view, with a reasonable horizon, and too much foreground. Did reduce the size in pp though.
This is it.

View towards Fawley.

This is how I 'tarted up,' one of the other shots from the series.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Beaux Reflets

A bit rushed this week but I grabbed this on tiptoes in the garden hedge.

Last of the Summer Wine

and after a swift processing

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Quote from: beauxreflets on November 18, 2012, 11:49:02 AM
A bit rushed this week but I grabbed this on tiptoes in the garden hedge.

Last of the Summer Wine

You had better weather than I! Mind you it is blazing down now, and I just returned from the Common, which is on my doorstep, so I might change my entry.

Beaux Reflets

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Matthew

michaelb104

This is my entry, literally stepped out the back door.

It wasn't until it had got dark and I thought about posting the shot I realised that maybe I should have tweaked the settings in the camera to get a better jpeg (normally shoot raw), oh well you live and learn............hopefully!!
I've resized in CS5, if that is ok.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Hinfrance

Got one yesterday afternoon whilst out on my bike for a little ridette. I set the size 'in 'phone' and everything except white balance and speed was on auto.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Delamanda

Oh I was lost without the crop tool!  But 10 shots later, I just about got the leaf where I wanted.  Only pp was to reduce to size.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.