• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 115
  • Total: 115
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Tornado: A Rollercoaster evening

Started by SimonW, August 02, 2019, 11:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

I planned to catch a quite rare event - the Tornado crossing a local bridge. Not knowing if the landowner would allow access  and how long a walk I'd have from the car to my preferred location I allowed time to try elsewhere. However I needn't have worried and was there with an hour to wait in pleasant evening sunshine, peace and quiet by the river - and I was lucky to see a beaver swimming slowly upstream. A couple of local trains passed, giving me panning practice and showed I had a couple of minutes warning after the railway signal went up. Spot on the expected time it rose, so I was all ready to shoot as the train approached - but it was a local Diesel! That told me Tornado was at least 20 minutes late and daylight was beginning to fade so I decided to wait no more than a half hour. I was reaching out to take down the tripod but I paused when I heard excited children's voices, and then several canoes came into view. A faint noise made me turn away from the river and there was Tornado, waiting at the stop signal. It was another ten minutes before it changed to go, the train started and I got my shot. I didn't expect much as by then the light had dropped badly, but I think it developed better than I hoped for.

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Oldboy

Great shots Simon. It was worth the wait. Sometimes it's important to get the shot regardless of light and other conditions. It's the shot that counts. :tup:

SimonW

Thanks Oldboy. My favoutite is actually the unplanned one of it stopped and letting off steam. Cropping closer (loosing the signal) helps the composition and makes it more exciting. Would spoil the story I've posted, but could be used elsewhere.

Cheers, Simon

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

XavierD

Moments like the one you describe are very rare, aren't they?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.