• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 239
  • Total: 239
  • Google
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Which Camera D5200 or D7100

Started by Andy Price, March 01, 2013, 09:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Price

Hi all, hope some can provide some advice.

Have a 6 year old Nikon D80 which I am now looking to update. As there is no direct replacement for the D90 which has been around for four years I don't know what to go for. The D5200 has better performance than the D80 but it won't drive the AF function on most of my lenses or I go for D7200 which is bit more than I was hoping to spend.

Problem I see is go for the D5200 and replace lenses or D7200 and keep existing lenses.
One would be an immediate cost the other more long term. At present budget at £700 could possibly squeeze a little more but not much.

What would the forum recommend???
Andy

Life is a series of pictures waiting to be taken.

Hinfrance

As a non Nikon person this is possibly the wrong advice, but I would hang on to the D80 a little longer and save up for the D7200.

I saved up for a Pentax K5 rather than get slightly cheaper model, a choice I have never regretted.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

anglefire

It would seem daft to change from Nikon to Canon, unless your Nikon kit doesn't do what you want it to do and you have tried the alternatives and have decided that Canon is the better option.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Andy Price

Thanks for the replies.
As it was I actually got a D7000 with 18-105 VR lens of £700.00 which saves about £400.00 on the show price for the D7100. Nikon are saying that the D7100 will retail for £1300.00 a little steep but will probably come down in time.
Already noticed a major performance improvement from the D80. So far very happy so time will tell.

Regards
Andy
Andy

Life is a series of pictures waiting to be taken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Andy Price on March 06, 2013, 09:40:03 AM
Thanks for the replies.
As it was I actually got a D7000 with 18-105 VR lens of £700.00 which saves about £400.00 on the show price for the D7100. Nikon are saying that the D7100 will retail for £1300.00 a little steep but will probably come down in time.
Already noticed a major performance improvement from the D80. So far very happy so time will tell.

Regards
Andy

I think the D7000 was very underrated and still think it's the best value in the Nikon lineup.  :tup:

jinky

I got one cheap from HDew as a grey import (back up to D700 as my old D80 had started to creak a little) and have set myself the job of using it more this summer. Still a few aspects of it that i don`t get like dodgy white balance and poorer low light performance than I had been led to expect but probably me not using it enough yet. Taking it on my next couple of trips to really get to know it and leaving my beloved D700 at home.

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on March 06, 2013, 11:55:00 AM
Taking it on my next couple of trips to really get to know it and leaving my beloved D700 at home.

Hope the wife doesn't read this!  :doh:

jinky

It`s alright Oldboy - she knows the pecking order  :legit:

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on March 06, 2013, 07:53:11 PM
It`s alright Oldboy - she knows the pecking order  :legit:

And you are at the bottom?  ::) :legit:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.