• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 134
  • Total: 134
  • Google
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT-CHIAROSCURO-Weekly Comp 19-26 June 2016

Started by Hinfrance, June 19, 2016, 09:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

This is the CHAT thread

The Entries thread is HERE

This week's theme is CHIAROSCURO
A simple enough concept at heart, it is the use of strong contrasts between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition either to bring focus to a particular point of interest or to give depth to a two dimensional rendering of a three dimensional objects.

No restrictions on PP.

Pictures to be taken preferably between now and Sunday 26th June 2016, 23:59, or enter one from your Personal / Camera Cranium Archives if you prefer.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23:59pm Monday 27th June 2016.
Poll will be up Tuesday 28th June 2016.
Winner to be announced Saturday 2nd July 2016.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to

Post a topic on the Sunday (or sooner) following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted (or earliest archive shot if applicable) wins.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

The last time this theme was proposed I pointed members in the direction of the artist Carravagio. Google his name and you will see chiaroscuro at its best.
Apologies if I'm  repeating myself.

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Simple

I thought I better post ASAP because I am working away for the rest of the week. This is an image from archives, it is from a class where the chiaroscuro technique was discussed and practiced. This technique was often used in films by videographers and is still popular in film noir type of films. The main attempt here is to light the face from one side (like a Rembrandt style) while the background is the opposite light/dark.

DigiDiva

Alan.....thanks for the heads up on Caravaggio.....his images are very impressive and a technique I was totally unaware of.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

ABERS

Not taken within the usual time frame, but within this month. ::)

jinky

Quote from: ABERS on June 20, 2016, 08:51:09 AM

Why the rolled eyes Abers? Not being sarcastic or anything - just wondered if I`d missed something.  It doesn`t matter when taken now does it? I`m not sure why we place any date in the text other than the deadlines for posting / voting etc as it`s just any photo entry from our week or archives with no bonuses for it being done in current week / month / even year is there? Not sure if I`l get out / have time to find any this week. After tending to my father n law it`s my mum up in Newcastle this week i need to to go and stay with as my sister (main carer) is on holiday, It`s like having young children again!

ABERS

Quote from: jinky on June 20, 2016, 09:02:43 AM

Why the rolled eyes Abers? Not being sarcastic or anything - just wondered if I`d missed something.  It doesn`t matter when taken now does it? I`m not sure why we place any date in the text other than the deadlines for posting / voting etc as it`s just any photo entry from our week or archives with no bonuses for it being done in current week / month / even year is there? Not sure if I`l get out / have time to find any this week. After tending to my father n law it`s my mum up in Newcastle this week i need to to go and stay with as my sister (main carer) is on holiday, It`s like having young children again!

The rolled eyes were meant to convey the fact that if the theme had been set just a couple of weeks ago it would have been within the regular time frame.  If you are offended by it I'm  sorry.

jinky

Quote from: ABERS on June 20, 2016, 09:28:12 AM
Quote from: jinky on June 20, 2016, 09:02:43 AM

The rolled eyes were meant to convey the fact that if the theme had been set just a couple of weeks ago it would have been within the regular time frame.  If you are offended by it I'm  sorry.

No, no not offended at all. I`d just missed the fact that the theme was late set due to the issues with the comp not running. I understand now. Well done H on setting a theme to get it rolling smoothly again - I`d not even picked up that there`d be a gap due to my intermittent involvement through holidays, caring roles and PC issues.
Thanks for the link too Abers for me to get what this one is about. I`ll see what I can do one way or another.

Reinardina

A totally 'accidental' shot, taken on Sunday; little girl staring into the lens, lit through an open door.

Not an entry, as I am not sure I will have the time to follow the competition, and definitely no chance to set new competition or poll.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

DigiDiva

A difficult one for me - no time to take one so had to dig into archives. Limited internet access for next 2 weeks so if by any chance my image was successful, would someone do the honours of the next theme/poll?

Cheers

This is simply called 'PAUL", because it's Paul haha

ABERS

I'm  off to La  Belle France next Thursday for a few days so I'll  not be around for this competition there fore I'm  withdrawing it. There may well be a later comp where it will be useful.

DigiDiva

That's a shame Abers. Its a nice image. Won't someone do the honours for you?

Hinfrance

We can all muck in Alan, no worries on that score.

Meanwhile I have not had a chance, with the in-laws being here all last week, to do anything new. So I have entered a picture from the archives.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

StephenBatey

As a matter of interest, when did the poll (now closed) open? Every time I looked (apart from this evening, just now) it said "Do not vote yet" - so I didn't. Assuming that I was allowed to vote.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.