• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 68
  • Total: 68
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Chat thread for weekly comp "Typically British"

Started by irv_b, September 11, 2011, 07:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irv_b

Chat thread for this week's subject  "typically British"

Try to picture something that you could point to being typical of someone or something being of British origin.
Anything from the full English breakfast to a kilt wearing Scotsman - HAVE FUN!!!

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 12th September 2011 to 23:59 Sunday  18th September 2011 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 19th September 2011.
Poll will be up Tuesday 13th September 2011.
Winner to be announced Saturday 24th September 2011.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

skellum

Great idea Irv but I think you have unintentionally excluded our international members.. :'(     Only an idea but what about changing it to ' Typical of my country '

Beaux Reflets

I don't know - I am sure there is probably something typically British in most areas around the globe  ;)  :2funny:  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Maybe, but I'm game to have a go at this. I'm pretty sure you can find a cup of tea just about anywhere ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

"of British origin" covers a lot!

Tartans have been popular for ages, all over the world, for instance.

And from the great engineering past, there must be examples everywhere, still going strong.

If you can't find anything, you probably don't have internet either!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Reinardina

Forgot to mention the language!

(I might try a candid shot of my husband's upper lip! He's of the generation/background where they were very stiff!)

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on September 12, 2011, 08:58:31 AM

(I might try a candid shot of my husband's upper lip! He's of the generation/background where they were very stiff!)

I was thinking on those lines too - great minds as they say -  :tup: - Just got to work out what the expression of smile should be  :o or  :2funny:

Reinardina

Quote from: beauxreflets on September 12, 2011, 09:39:43 AM

I was thinking on those lines too - great minds as they say -  :tup: - Just got to work out what the expression of smile should be  :o or  :2funny:

Agree on the minds, but you're still, by far, the better photographer!

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on September 12, 2011, 11:32:02 AM

You are so kind Reinardina  :-* You have taken a few shots that I would have loved to have taken  :tup:  :beer:

Reinardina

Quote from: beauxreflets on September 12, 2011, 11:55:55 AM

You are so kind Reinardina  :-* You have taken a few shots that I would have loved to have taken  :tup:  :beer:

Andy! You're joking! Which ones are they? And yes, I'd love a beer!

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on September 12, 2011, 12:02:37 PM
Quote from: beauxreflets on September 12, 2011, 11:55:55 AM

Andy! You're joking! Which ones are they? And yes, I'd love a beer!

I particularly like,  The Gateway - The Lone Walker (as I can imagine the colours while the B&W keeps the emphasis upon loneliness) and I remember an architectural shot I thought was taken at a great angle / perspective but cannot see it in your gallery (perhaps it was seen on PR a few moons ago  :-\ )

Thinking hat back on for something typically British  :-\

Reinardina

Andy, my memory must be going. I now do remember your kind comments on both the Gateway and the Lone Walker. Can't think of the architectural picture though, I'll have a rummage.

I'm not quite in the mood for thinking British yet. Hope it comes soon.

irv_b

Oh I didn't realise that this would cause any hassle! As Howard said surely, any of the expats would have something  British indoors or even a shop where they go to get something that reminds them of home -They don't even need to buy it just photograph It!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Oldboy

Quote from: irv_b on September 12, 2011, 08:04:29 PM
Oh I didn't realise that this would cause any hassle! As Howard said surely, any of the expats would have something  British indoors or even a shop where they go to get something that reminds them of home -They don't even need to buy it just photograph It!

Well, the French strike a lot and that is regarded as a British disease.  :2funny:

hevans

Quote from: irv_b on September 12, 2011, 08:04:29 PM

I could always dig out the jar of Branston Pickle. I could substitute for HP sauce...but the bastards moved production to Holland, and it just isn't quite the same.

Most Ex-pats will have plenty of mementos of Britain around for inspiration.

H.

(Oh, and I was hoping to get in on the 20th century one...but time, tide and the family wait for no man...cracker of an idea: sliced bread, invented in the early 20th century).

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.