• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 135
  • Total: 135
  • Google
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Cathus' New Website

Started by Cathus, February 05, 2012, 10:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathus

I've spent the weekend working on a new website.

I'd be really grateful if you could take a look and let me know what you think.

I'm particularly interested in any mistakes or grammatical errors and anything you think might be a bit weak, also any suggestions for anything I've missed.

It's not entirely completed, for instance the 'client galleries' and 'see more' links on the front page don't go anywhere, but it's more or less there.

http://www.glnphotography.com

thank you!

Mick

Garry, nice work.  Looks very clean and professional.  :tup:  Didn't realise we had another coder on board.  8) (that doesn't include me, as I'm no coder).  ;)

Will take a good look around and see if I can spot anything.  So far very good though.  :)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

ABERS

Bright, crisp and eyecatching, the opening page making you want to look more into it.

Is for generating business? Not too sure anyone other than a photographer would want to know, or understand the list of equipment, might be a bit superfluous.

I understand it's just been put together, but when you click the 'See More' button on the home page it just sends you back to that page.

All you have to do now is get people to look at it. That's the tricky part.  ;)

Hinfrance

I agree with Abers. Bright, crisp, and looks very shiny®.

I would lose the equipment list too* - it seems too much 'ooh look what I've got', not 'look at these great pictures and see what I can do', because they speak for themselves.

*or at least put it somewhere (on a link?) so that visitors who are interested can find out.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Cathus

thanks guys, really constructive.

Abers, I've not set up the  comments page yet, hence the 'see more' button doesn't yet work.

The list of equipment was really about filling up space as I wasn't sure what/how much to put in the info, plus I wondered whether people thinking about having their family portraits taken by me might be impressed (simplistic, I know, but given that most people know nothing about gear, people often think if you've got a really expensive camera, you must be good.)

As to whether the site is to generate income, all my work is done via personal recommendation so I don't see the site as attracting new custom but more a place where people who approach me can see some examples of my work.

ABERS

Quote from: Cathus on February 06, 2012, 02:39:23 PM

(simplistic, I know, but given that most people know nothing about gear, people often think if you've got a really expensive camera, you must be good.)

How would they know if the gear is expensive or not? As Howard says it's the photographs that sell you.

Cathus

because it says 'professional',  I appreciate that anyone who knows about photography knows the myth about the gear, it's not them that are going to pay me to take photos, it's the people who don't know anything about photography who might think that it's good to have 'professional equipment'. But don't get hung up the wording of my reply, 'expensive' or 'professional' or whatever, it's merely a device to impress those who are easily impressed, which I suppose is what advertising does.

Hopefully, the photos will do the work, it's just a little additional thing. As to whether I keep it, or move it onto a page about equipment, that's why I've asked you discerning folk for your opinions. I'd also need to ask non- photographers as well.

Reinardina

Garry, I'm nitpicking here, but there is an almost total lack of punctuation. And even though I haven't come across anything that can be misunderstood, I find it easier to read, if the sentences are 'cut up,' and there is a comma where you normally pause for a moment.

A lack of a comma, can lead to misunderstandings.

And do you 'shoot' (production) photography? Isn't it either a production shoot, or you shoot products?

And I must admit I skipped the list of gear. This could be, as you suggested, on a separate page or chapter, or whatever it's called.
So far, I've only read the 'front page,' as reading is a very slow process for me.

(Comments from a Dutchie!)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Mick

Garry, do you want your site added to the links page?   Your blog site is there, but not this one.   ;)

My Gallery

OpenSea

Cathus

Reinardina,

Picky is good - good grammar saves lives: 'let's eat Grandma' versus 'let's eat, Grandma'

But which bits were you referring to as, apart from the long sentence about the American football finals, most of the rest is short sentences with commas and full stops?

Lurkalot,

Yes pls!

Reinardina

Quote from: Cathus on February 07, 2012, 01:23:51 AM
Reinardina,

Picky is good - good grammar saves lives: 'let's eat Grandma' versus 'let's eat, Grandma'

But which bits were you referring to as, apart from the long sentence about the American football finals, most of the rest is short sentences with commas and full stops?

Lurkalot,

Yes pls!

Or:
"Photo taken after work again of my beloved wife."

Which can mean: "Photo taken after work again, of my beloved wife."     
Or:                     "Photo taken after work, again of my beloved wife."  ;)

I'll have to have another look for the comma's, can't remember exactly where I thought they could/should be inserted.
I'll be back, but don't worry too much, as I did not see any possible misunderstandings  like the examples above.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Mick

Quote from: admin on February 06, 2012, 11:21:11 PM

Garry, do you want your site added to the links page?   Your blog site is there, but not this one.   ;)

Quote from: Cathus on February 07, 2012, 01:23:51 AM

Lurkalot,

Yes pls!

Done.  :tup:

My Gallery

OpenSea

picsfor

initial look - looks very much like a wordpress theme - nothing wrong with that before any jumps on me, i use them. they can create a great look without too much effort.

Now how do i learn how to set them up  :tup:

Will have a proper look tomrorow

Cathus

Andrew,

no it's not wordpress, it's a straight HTML site, thanks for checking it out

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.