• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 284
  • Total: 284
  • Google
  • Bingbot
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Chat for ANCESTRY weekly competition 13 July to 19th July

Started by moonlustie, July 12, 2009, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlustie

The subject for this weeks competition is .....
ANCESTRY
Something that relates to your family history - a place, an object anything that links-in, however recent or old.

Rules

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 13 July to 19th July.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday July 20th.
Poll will be up Tuesday 21st July until 23.59pm Friday 24th July.
Winner to be announced Saturday 25th July (winner should post the new topic no later than 23.59 Sunday 26th July)

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
post a topic on the sunday following your declared win
create an entries thread
create a chat thread
create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie sunday xx to Monday xx

pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night

Poll to be created Tuesday to run till Friday, winner declared Saturday

Editing limits to be specified by the person choosing the competition subject, if nothing is mentioned then there is no limit to editing allowed.

Montage images should only contain images taken within specified dates

Please don't vote for your own entry

Everyone is welcome and comments and critique on the entries are also welcome

Posting your entries, and settiing up the poll.  Instructions are here: http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=382.0

Oldboy

What happens if you don't have any? If you where found under a gooseberry bush that has long since died!  :(  :2funny: :2funny:

moonlustie

Take a pic of a gooseberry bush to represent the gooseberry bush in question  :2funny:

Hinfrance

Good subject Sue, thanks for taking on the mantle this week  :)

I'll put my thinking cap on when I wake up a bit.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hinfrance

I decided to make a tribute to my late father.

The items in the picture are a photograph of him, his log book recording the 48 missions he flew officially (there were also a number of non recorded missions for the intelligence services), his airman's prayer book, his discharge, two reconnaissance photographs (the log is open on the page recording the sorties when they were taken), and his medals. Unfortunately he allowed a historian to take a number of unique and irreplaceable documents for research which were never returned despite the promises to do so. And UPS ransacked the case of his possessions when they were in transit to me but only took his watches, silver and camera equipment. They, of course, refused to pay any compensation as my father's widow had not fully declared the contents - although I bet writing 'heirlooms' on the side of the box gave the thieves the clue that perhaps they should bust into it . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

moonlustie

That's great, I find it all totally fascinating - my father was in the medical core of the RAF during WWII and did quite a tour but nothing so prestigous as yours - thanks for sharing and good photograph too.

alan1572

it's a shame and a scandal that you don't have all of his possesions.

Quote from: Tringle WP on July 17, 2009, 03:50:45 PM
I decided to make a tribute to my late father.

The items in the picture are a photograph of him, his log book recording the 48 missions he flew officially (there were also a number of non recorded missions for the intelligence services), his airman's prayer book, his discharge, two reconnaissance photographs (the log is open on the page recording the sorties when they were taken), and his medals. Unfortunately he allowed a historian to take a number of unique and irreplaceable documents for research which were never returned despite the promises to do so. And UPS ransacked the case of his possessions when they were in transit to me but only took his watches, silver and camera equipment. They, of course, refused to pay any compensation as my father's widow had not fully declared the contents - although I bet writing 'heirlooms' on the side of the box gave the thieves the clue that perhaps they should bust into it . . .
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Hinfrance

You're right it is a shame, but nothing can be done about it. I was very very angry at the time though. I'm wondering if the picture might look better in mono . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jimthetrain

I 'll post mine up tomorrow after work. Don't have anything in the way of family stuff so just found some stuff about me from years ago. It'll be an entry anyway.  ;)
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Hinfrance

Just seen Irv's entry. Barbados is a great place; I suppose it was work that made your parents emigrate? I've only been once, 10 years ago. The weather's darn site better than the UK, that's for sure. My ancestors emigrated from Denmark about a thousand years ago using, I presume, various sharp pointy things instead of passports to gain entry to the UK.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

wattsy

I hope you don't mind me crashing this comp with the demise of the DCM one for now. I've occasionally looked in but don't really have the time to do 2 comps a week. The light wasn't good by the time I got around to shooting these but really wanted to get an entry in. The camper van was mine!

Family history in matchbox: grandfather - father - daughter

Oldboy

Quote from: wattsy on July 20, 2009, 05:46:43 PM
I hope you don't mind me crashing this comp with the demise of the DCM one for now. I've occasionally looked in but don't really have the time to do 2 comps a week. The light wasn't good by the time I got around to shooting these but really wanted to get an entry in. The camper van was mine!

Family history in matchbox: grandfather - father - daughter

Hi wattsy and welcome.  :tup:
As far as the competition on here, all are welcome and will make Lurkalot very happy.  :2funny:

Mick

Quote from: wattsy on July 20, 2009, 05:46:43 PM

I hope you don't mind me crashing this comp with the demise of the DCM one for now.

Hi wattsy.  You're more than welcom.  More the better I say.  :tup:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

wattsy

Thanks for welcome. I found the games earlier....oh well, there's half an hour of my life I won't see again  :)

irv_b

Quote from: Tringle WP on July 20, 2009, 06:57:09 AM
Just seen Irv's entry. Barbados is a great place; I suppose it was work that made your parents emigrate? I've only been once, 10 years ago. The weather's darn site better than the UK, that's for sure. My ancestors emigrated from Denmark about a thousand years ago using, I presume, various sharp pointy things instead of passports to gain entry to the UK.

Yeah your right Howard it was for work that they came and settled here and because most of there friends came here they decided not to go back when they retired. I sometime go back but not for about 5years now but we are hoping to go next year sometime for my wifes' birthday. I was hoping to get a shot of the windrush memorial gardens in Brixton ( but they are redeveloping it at the mo ) and make it into a typtrich.
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.