• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 71
  • Total: 71
  • Bingbot
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Tablet or Netbook? or neither ...

Started by Sarasocke, December 31, 2012, 04:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

Looked at some of the older postings on tablet, but a lot of the links didn't work anymore as new products are now on the market.

Anyhoo ...

I'm after getting something small to cary around with me, and have been looking at tablets. On Amazon is a guide to what would be suited to which requirements, but I'm still not convinced one way or the other.

What I would like is something:
a) small and light
b) where I can load up photos when I'm on the road and do simple sorting and conversion (from RAW)
c) which can be connected up to my PC (Windows) when I get home to transfer the data
d) with a reasonable screen quality
e) with enough memory and/or
f) with a USB connection for a stick
g) to read e-books on

With the lap top I go online anywhere where there is free w-lan. Nowadays in hotels etc w-lan is usually available. Does it work like that with tablets?
What happens if I'm sitting on a train somewhere say and want to go online? Would I need a prepaid stick? Daft question probably ... you can tell how green I am ;)

Which tablets do you have and what do you use them for?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

donoreo

Quote from: Sarasocke on December 31, 2012, 04:54:37 PM
Looked at some of the older postings on tablet, but a lot of the links didn't work anymore as new products are now on the market.

Anyhoo ...

I'm after getting something small to cary around with me, and have been looking at tablets. On Amazon is a guide to what would be suited to which requirements, but I'm still not convinced one way or the other.

What I would like is something:
a) small and light
b) where I can load up photos when I'm on the road and do simple sorting and conversion (from RAW)
c) which can be connected up to my PC (Windows) when I get home to transfer the data
d) with a reasonable screen quality
e) with enough memory and/or
f) with a USB connection for a stick
g) to read e-books on

With the lap top I go online anywhere where there is free w-lan. Nowadays in hotels etc w-lan is usually available. Does it work like that with tablets?
What happens if I'm sitting on a train somewhere say and want to go online? Would I need a prepaid stick? Daft question probably ... you can tell how green I am ;)

Which tablets do you have and what do you use them for?
Tough question.  Generally speaking, an iPad is out for you (cannot do (b) or (f))  I am just going to generaize a bit more

a) covers all if not most.  So not difficult, but you did not say what size of screen you prefer.  7 inch or 10 inch covers most. 
b) This depends on the application on the tablet.  This is not tablet brand dependant, but application.  I do not know of any applications to recommend.
c) This covers all. 
d) This is subjective, but most current ones have excellent screens.
e) how much is enough?  Not many tablets have more than 64GB, much of that taken up with applications, etc. 
f) Most Android ones have this, they point it out as a feature Apple does not have. 
g) None, IMHO.  I prefer e-ink readers as the screen is easier on the eyes.  (I own a Kobo).  Amazon, Kobo, etc all have e-reader applications for all tablets. 

You can connect to wifi with tablets.  Not sure on the mobile phone network connectivity or using a stick. 

Colin

Quote from: donoreo on December 31, 2012, 06:38:05 PM

Generally speaking, an iPad is out for you (cannot do (b) or (f)) 

Sorry this is just plain wrong.

You can do b) and f) with an iPad you just need the Camera connection kit which is an add-on extra. I do both with my iPad.

The disadvantage with any tablet is the limited memory, providing your RAW images are not too large, you don't need too many of them to fill up the available memory and you don't have too much other stuff on your tablet then it won't be a restriction. Some tablets iPad included allow a 3G connection with a sim card inserted directly into the tablet rather than needing a dongle. Some like the iPad won't work with a dongle.

If you want something that doesn't take up a lot of room, runs for hours without recharging, has a great screen for displaying photos at a large size BUT has limited storage for photos go for a tablet. If you want storage for a lot of photos and something a little less portable go for a netbook / laptop with a large hard disk.

Hinfrance

Carol, there is no tablet on the market that meets your requirements, except possibly the new MS Surface, but an arm and a leg for a fully specified one (Apple sized prices), and you still have limited on board memory (64gb including OS and RAM), and you'll still want an e-ink reader (try reading a tablet in bright sunshine . . ). Reviews include sentences like 'now you can throw away your iPad and laptop'. Definitely an exaggeration !

It sounds like what you need it is a netbook (but buy soon, there are only two manufacturers still making them), or a budget laptop, both augmented with a wifi dongle, and a e-ink reader. I have a Kindle, but tend to agree with Don that a Kobo is a slightly better choice. Both less than £100 (€120).

I have a £100 7" Android tablet which has a micro SD expansion slot (I keep my videos, pictures and music on that), USB port and HDMI out. I occasionally use it to show pictures on, but with Elements light on it I wouldn't hesitate to say it's pretty useless for editing. Although Pixlr-o-matic can while away some dull time. And the battery only lasts about 5 hours, half that of an iPad, Galaxy or Nexus. It was designed to be used in the home, and so it is never far from a charger.

Not having any Apple products I don't know if Safari can do this or not, (Colin?). A major plus point of Android tablets is that they can run Opera Mobile (iPads claim to have this facility, but actually all you are getting is a cut down version wrapped up inside Safari). Opera Mobile is fast and has desktop emulation that makes the websites you are visiting think that they are talking to a linux desktop OS - so you get the whole site. Given that Flickr's mobile site is useless (and Facebook's is not much better), having access to the full site on a tablet or 'phone is rather handy.

As Colin says, you can pay through the nose to get a 64gb iPad with 3G, and then pay more for apps and connectors, leaving the cost not much shy of £700. And it's still poor for reading books. And personally I hate typing on a screen.

Looks like you have hours of umming and aahing ahead of you. Can't say I envy you on this one.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Sarasocke

Thanks for your replies!

I guess I will have to decide what's most important.
It would be nice to have the possibility to download e-books, but I think that would be my lowest priority.

I wouldn't be doing much editing work, I leave that for when I'm back home on my PC. It would just be a medium to download photos on the road, delete the rubbish and if necessary due to lack of memory, pop the images on a stick (or sticks). Editing would be just cropping and and converting if I wanted to load some pics onto the net. Didn't I read somewhere that there is an app for PS - downsized of course.

I'll have a look at some netbooks and see what is still on the market.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Sarasocke

okay, had a look on Amazon and found these

from Asus

http://www.amazon.de/F201E-KX065H-Netbook-Intel-Celeron-schwarz/dp/B009NCTPHU/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1357042653&sr=1-3

and from Acer

http://www.amazon.de/Acer-Aspire-V5-431-887B4G50Mabb-Notebook-Intel/dp/B009K1PY38/ref=sr_1_12?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1357042653&sr=1-12

I tried to find them on Amazon UK, but they must have different model numbers or something.
Anyway ... I guess the specs are self explanatory.
From what I can gather, the only thing I can't do is read a book on them.

What do you think?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Hinfrance

FWIW Asus has a better reputation at the moment. That said we have an Acer laptop that is used by everyone in the house, so it's more or less on all the time and we've not had a moment's problem with it. That's torn it . .

They both seem powerful and good value. The Asus is smaller.

You can get a Kindle application for the PC so you can download books and sync with your e-ink Kindle if you want.

There are loads of free basic photo editors - try Serif for a free cut down version of Photoplus (poor man's photoshop, it's what Andy and I use, amongst members here).
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Colin

Yes the is a version of Photoshop for the iPad. The basic app is free but if you want some of the more comprehensive tools then they are pay for. I read all the time on my iPad, bright sunshine is a problem BUT I don't usually sit in bright sunshine to read. There are many ereading apps available for all tablets and netbooks so once you decide what you are going for you could then ask for recommendations.

If you have a little more money to spend consider one of the new ultra-light laptops they are now available in PC flavour following the Mac airbook line.

donoreo

Quote from: Colin on January 01, 2013, 07:27:24 AM
Quote from: donoreo on December 31, 2012, 06:38:05 PM

Generally speaking, an iPad is out for you (cannot do (b) or (f)) 

Sorry this is just plain wrong.

You can do b) and f) with an iPad you just need the Camera connection kit which is an add-on extra. I do both with my iPad.
I forgot about the camera connection kit.  My bad on that one. 

Sarasocke

I think I'll be going for the netbook I mentioned in the link above - the Asus. It's still small, has a keyboard and plenty of memory for my piccies. The price is just about OK ;)
Just have to see if I can extend my Kasperksy to three units instead of two.
I think I'll probably follow Howard's advice and have a look at the freeware, my PS only has a licence for two units and PSE for one.

Thanks for the help!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Oldboy

Quote from: Sarasocke on January 02, 2013, 05:53:12 PM
Just have to see if I can extend my Kasperksy to three units instead of two.
I think I'll probably follow Howard's advice and have a look at the freeware, my PS only has a licence for two units and PSE for one.

Thanks for the help!

Just check your software agreement, as some allow you to have it installed on more than one machine, but you can only use it on one machine at a time. So, for example it could be on your desktop and on your laptop but someone else can't use it on the laptop whilst you use it on the desktop.  :tup:

With the size and speed of external harddrives today, why not install it on that and then you just need to connect the harddrive to any computer to use the program.  :doh:

Sarasocke

The Kaspersky we have is for two computers and they can both be used at the same time. Not sure about PS as hubby never uses it.

I don't really want to have to carry more hardware around when I'm away from home, although the external hard would be a good idea otherwise.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

donoreo

Hinfrance

Quote from: donoreo on January 03, 2013, 04:03:58 PM
Tablets have kind of killed off netbooks: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/dec/31/netbooks-dead-2013

Which is a shame because in comparison tablets are rubbish - very limited storage, poor generic connectivity and screens always covered in finger prints. I only have one for browsing the web because SWMBO and our daughter hog the laptop. But then a decent laptop costs less than an entry level iPad, so all is not lost.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 03, 2013, 05:03:46 PM
But then a decent laptop costs less than an entry level iPad, so all is not lost.

A Cray super computer cost less than an iPad.  :o

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.