• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 44
  • Total: 44
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Canon EOS Utility

Started by DavidHammond, October 21, 2009, 10:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidHammond

I'm getting annoyed now...

Just plugged my 450d into my Laptop (running Vista!), and camera the EOS Utility isn't working! Won't even load up Just instantly comes up "EOS Utility has stopped working... close program"

Looked on the Canon website, and tried to download the update, that's ok, but as soon as I run it, that comes up with a bleeding error! It "failed to expand files"!

I've searched about online, and I'm lost! Surely the bloody update off Canon's site should work! :doh: **REALLY ANGRY SMILEY**

Anyone had the same problem/know the fix?

Oldboy

It could be a fault with Vista rather than Canon's software. Use the Programs and features option to uninstall the EOS Utility program and then reinstall it. Or you could check the Event log, via Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Double click Event Viewer and double Click on the Error Tab to expand it and double click on the first error for EOS Utility. This will show what is causing the error, most likely a DLL file. You need to locate another copy of this DLL and copy it the the first location, to overwrite it and then your EOS Utility program should now work.  The update didn't work due to the fault with the EOS Utility program, as it needs to access it to update it. ;D

DavidHammond

I have unstalled it, and then tried to re-install it, but require the origional CD i used to install the software with!  >:(

Rang Canon Customer support and someone will ring me back... see if they can just send me a CD with it all on. :-)

Oldboy

Quote from: DavidHammond on October 22, 2009, 01:40:45 PM
I have unstalled it, and then tried to re-install it, but require the origional CD i used to install the software with!  >:(

Rang Canon Customer support and someone will ring me back... see if they can just send me a CD with it all on. :-)

I assumed you had the original CD. You could try a restore under Vista, but only if you have created a restore point before you had the problem.  ;D

DavidHammond

No restore point, no CD at home, and Canon haven't rang me back!  :(

Does anyone have a copy of the CD, they could kindly duplicate for me??  :doh:

Mick

Quote from: DavidHammond on October 27, 2009, 05:47:46 PM
No restore point, no CD at home, and Canon haven't rang me back!  :(

Does anyone have a copy of the CD, they could kindly duplicate for me??  :doh:

You can install without the CD if you don't mind a bit of fiddling around.  http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

Don't blame me if it all goes TU though.  :legit:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

DavidHammond

Cheers admin,

I've tried this before but from a different tutorial, so I'll try using this one see where it goes. Failing that it's another call to Canon tomorrow.

OK it's going to be another call to canon in the morning... It's still not working!!! Tried the Regedit with no success still the same error. "failed to expand the files" and just an ok button.

DavidHammond

Sorted :)

Did the RegEdit as above... with no luck.

A more specific search online found it to be the Anti Virus Software I have preventing the self extracting program running....

Problem Solved.

Thanks!

Mick

Nice one,  glad you got it sorted.  :tup:

Rgrds

Mick
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Oldboy

Quote from: DavidHammond on October 27, 2009, 11:43:03 PM
Sorted :)

Did the RegEdit as above... with no luck.

A more specific search online found it to be the Anti Virus Software I have preventing the self extracting program running....

Problem Solved.

Thanks!

Glad you got it sorted.  :tup:

Did you look in Event Viewer and what message did it show?  :doh:

DavidHammond

It didn't show anything in the event viewer... But I am not a computer jedi, so I might have just not known what to look for. BTW my antivirus is Kaspersky.

Forseti

Quote from: DavidHammond on October 30, 2009, 12:35:59 AM
BTW my antivirus is Kaspersky.

So's mine  :tup: In fact, Kaspersky is so good imho that nowadays I disable it temporarily prior to installing any downloads - updates included, having first right-clicked and run a virus check on it. There's always a chance that something won't install properly should Kaspersky in it's wisdom decide it's a risk and quarantine it. In the case of Canon updates i.e. EOS Utility, Zoombrowser and DPP it won't even extract the files. Still, it's nice to know that it's doing the job.  ;)
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

anglefire

You'll find a lot of software says to disable AV before installing - I use NOD32 and I don't as a rule, but its the first thing I check when it goes TUp.com  ;D
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.