• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 119
  • Total: 119
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Twitter - what's it about?

Started by picsfor, June 03, 2010, 12:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

OK, i've tried to understand what Twitter is about, but it keeps passing me by.

What is its purpose?

I've tried to read various threads and it all reads in double dutch to me...  :doh: :o

hevans

I don't know...it boils down to a medium for broadcasting small messages to anyone that might be interested. A nano-blogg, perhaps?

It's not a medium I'm particularly taken by, high level of egotism involved for most twits, unless you're providing something that people want to actually hear.

Malcolm1938

I've never been there - the name alone is enough to put me off.

I dont really see the need for public social networking sites when email provides all the communications I am likely to need.

Still I suppose if someone really wants to be a twit I have no right to stop them.
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Jonathan

Yeah Twitter....

If you don't use it then it's pretty baffling.  If you do use it then it's pretty addictive.

Most of the people I follow tend to be photographers or small business owners.  It gets awfully lonely working on your own and as a way to connect with people it takes some beating.  If you're having a bad (or great) day then instead of ringing a friend and interrupting their day you can tell your "world" and anybody who isn't busy can sympathise/celebrate with you.

You can also connect with other people in your industry.  I had an issue with a Bron Mobil a while ago and within 10 mins I was getting advice from Damien Lovegrove.

It's also pretty good for SEO (kind of - it's quite complicated) if you want to drive traffic to your site.  I also prefer the business networking to LinkedIn (which I really don't get).  This week I've got one job directly from Twitter - I've had more in the past and some high profile ones coming up thanks to contacts I've made on there.  [Simon who pops into this site now and again got a car off Twitter for a bit]

But yeah, utterly baffling if it's not for you.
It's Guest's round

ABERS

Read somewhere the other day that it's technological Tourette's. In a world of crowded loneliness it's undertaken by those that are desperate for attention.

Can't make head nor tail of it! :-\

picsfor

So most of us clueless except Jonathan who can make sense of it all and uses it!

Maybe, as Jonathan points out - it is more for people whose lives do not bring about the normal interaction provided in a 'work based environment' with colleagues and customers to interact with on a frequent basis (multiple times per hour).

Probably in the early days of F/L i would have made much use of it but at this moment in time...

Oldboy

Alamy has just announced that any news from them, will only put on twitter from now on.  :o

picsfor

you can't help thinking that deals are being done over the pond for the benefit of those over the pond at the expense of the rest of the world!

alan1572

9am...woke up
9:01...scratched my arse
9:03 ....yawned
9:06...thought of something funny but you had to be there.

that's what i think/thought twitter is.
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Jonathan

If you doubt the power of Twitter then try this.

1. Sign up for a free account
2. Find a few interesting people to follow (I strongly recommend @WeddingsByRyan ;) )
3. Say Hi, "@WeddingsByRyan - hi it's xxx from CC" will do it.
4. Spend 15 mins a day on it split into 3 X 5 min chunks (and for the best user experience use something like Seesmic).  Post updates, ask questions, interact with people.
5. At the end of the week see if you get it or not.

Most people will find it a waste of time.  The others will love it.

ETA: I forgot, I once got free cake via Twitter.  What's not to like about a website where you get cake?
It's Guest's round

ABERS

Quote from: Jonathan on June 04, 2010, 08:35:13 AM
If you doubt the power of Twitter then try this.

2. Find a few interesting people to follow

That's the hard bit. ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.