• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 245
  • Total: 245
  • Google
  • Bingbot
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Undecided ...

Started by Sarasocke, November 23, 2011, 05:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

So, done some research on all these wonderful new mirrorless cameras. I think "my" camera still has to be designed  :-\
I'd like something which takes the best photos, weighs very little, has a view finder and a flash and has plenty of lenses to choose from. Actually the quality of the photos should be as good as from my D700 but at a fraction of the weight  :legit:

Olympus Pen EP3 : I still find this little camera attractive. It's supposed to be fast and produce good quality photos. It's available with two kit lenses - a 14-42 AND a 40-150, altogether 978€. Viewfinder has to be bought extra, costs another 219€. Total 1197€. It's certainly light enough, 540gr with the larger lense, but it only has a small sensor and is expensive.

Panasonic G3, also available with two lenses, 14-42 and 45-200. Price 848€. Weight a bit more than the Pen - body alone 336gr with the 45-200 another 381gr on top which is about the same as my Nikon 70-300 lense.   :(  Has both viewfinder and built in flash.

Sony is bringing out their NEX7 (whenever conditions in the factory in Thailand allow). The camera itself sound brilliant, has a larger sensor than the other two, a built in viewfinder and flash. The body weighs 291gr and the kit lense (18-55) 194gr. Downside - incl. kit lense the price is 1348€ and the lenses don't have very good reports. A larger zoom would have to be bought later and there isn't much to choose from.

I suppose if were sensible I'd go for the Panasonic, I must admit I like the look of the pancake 14-42 zoom ...
I think I need to go back to the shop.

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

Sarasocke

hmmm ... hadn't seen the Samsung - doesn't have a viewfinder, does it? Couldn't find any mention of one. If there's no viewfinder, it'd be better if the screen swivels.

The Fuji has a fixed lense.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

nickt

I'm thinking of going for the Nikon p7100. Supposed to better than the p7000 re RAW write times and has a tilting screen. Can also take my sb800.
Nick

michaelb104

I'd plump for the NEX7 but I am a bit of a Sony fan.  You can get adaptors that allow any lens to fit, so you could use all the lenses you have now, no need to buy any new ones.

Have you looked at the Nikon 1?
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Sarasocke

Nick, the p7100 has a fixed lense too.

The NEX7 does sound like a fantastic camera, but it's also extremely expensive. The price difference to the G3 (including two lenses) is 500€. As the main reason for getting one of these little cameras is the weight, I don't really want to be mounting a lense which weighs nearly a kg on its own! I think my big Nikon lenses would make the whole thing a bit top heavy  :D

I think I'll have to keep my feet planted on the floor - it IS just a second camera after all ...
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

ABERS

For what it's worth, I bought a NEX3 last year purely for the easy to carry anywhere feature. Just checked and I've used it on 14 occasions taking 640 images split about 50/50 interior and exterior. It feels more comfortable on the interior side of things, not as obtrusive as a DSLR. I'm not too sure what the Nex7 has to offer over and above the 3 but the size and 'usability' of the 3 suits me down to the ground, plus the results aren't too shabby either.

Sarasocke

Which lenses do you have Alan?

If I remember correctly from my investigations the NEX5 has a viewfinder which can be bought seperately. Does the NEX3 have a viewfinder? Do you know how long the NEX3 has been on the market?

I think I'm going to have to make a table and write all this stuff in it.  :dance:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

greypoint

This all looks very expensive! How often are you going to use it?? I can see the advantages of a high quality bridge/compact camera but I'd not really be tempted by these. Partly because this is a new[ish] type of camera and will presumably improve with new generations and probably fall a lot in price.

Sarasocke

Sorry Mike, you asked if I'd had a look at the Nikon 1. I have, when I was in the shop in Frankfurt. I find it quite heavy compared to the others and almost dropped it, it was so smooth. The design didn't appeal to me at all, I much prefer a grip to hold the camera with.

@ Sue - I'm hoping it will replace my compact, (Pana TZ10). I shan't be using it tro photograph the dogs at the shelter or on official photo-shoots, but more for street stuff, walks, holidays and just generally something to carry around with me when the D700 is just too heavy. I'd like to do a lot more street, but with the D700 I do tend to get stopped ocasionally and I get plenty of dirty looks. I did fleetingly consider the D5100, which is supposed to be really good and would be in a similar price class if just buying the body. But coupled with my Nikon lenses we're looking at some 1300gr which is still too heavy and too bulky.

I'll have a look at the two Sony links later - thanks for the info!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

Can't interest you in the Canon G11 then?

ABERS

Quote from: Sarasocke on November 24, 2011, 09:33:48 AM
Which lenses do you have Alan?

If I remember correctly from my investigations the NEX5 has a viewfinder which can be bought seperately. Does the NEX3 have a viewfinder? Do you know how long the NEX3 has been on the market?

I think I'm going to have to make a table and write all this stuff in it.  :dance:

The 18-55 and the 16mm 2.8.

I don't have a viewfinder, that can be bought seperately but can only be used with the 16mm lens. I have found the articulated screen is perfectly adequate and in some respects better than a viewfinder in certain circumstances, especially for those 'surrepticious/candid street shots'. Mind you the reflex action of (not) raising the camera to the eye when you spot something takes a bit of getting used to. :doh:

Sarasocke

Thanks for the info Alan.

Andrew - I'm sure it's a smashing camera, but no ;)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.