• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 96
  • Total: 96
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Nikon D40, newbie with brain frazzle

Started by eysha, May 03, 2014, 08:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eysha

Got my Nikon D40 this afternoon and now I have brain frazzle trying to learn it. It came with the Dummies book, which I needed, so have been reading it while playing with the camera too but who else has this camera that can advise? Ok I know it is old now but never having had a DSLR before it will do me to learn on.
It came with the 18-55mm lens and the 55-200 lens and a 0.45 macro lens.
All help gratefully accepted.
E.
Please visit my site at
www.ThekavanaghCollection.co.uk

DigiDiva

Though I dont know nikon I know dslr's. Start experimenting with depth of field. Av on canon is aperture value. Aperture is how wide the iris is. Google aperture and practice with a still life prop. I been doing this today myself with asparagus spears
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

DigiDiva

Oops forgot to say....aperture effects how much of the image is in focus
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Jediboy

I use Nikon (they're great) but never used a D40. Anything in particular you need help with as I'm sure someone here can help.  ;)
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

Just put it in P(program) mode and go out and take some shots. It's the quickest way to learn. Whilst looking through the viewfinder, half press the shutter button and see what the camera chooses for shutter speed, F number(Aperture) and ISO(Sensitivity). When you have taken the shot check the Histogram on the back screen. This is a quick way to check if the image is too dark or the highlights have been blown.  :tup:

eysha

Thanks, will experiment tomorrow and see what happens.
Please visit my site at
www.ThekavanaghCollection.co.uk

JaneM

Have fun, it's so exciting getting a new camera and discovering what you can do together :)

Andrew

Quote from: Oldboy on May 03, 2014, 09:05:36 PM
Just put it in P(program) mode and go out and take some shots. It's the quickest way to learn. Whilst looking through the viewfinder, half press the shutter button and see what the camera chooses for shutter speed, F number(Aperture) and ISO(Sensitivity). When you have taken the shot check the Histogram on the back screen. This is a quick way to check if the image is too dark or the highlights have been blown.  :tup:

+1

take some pics - you can look at the various settings when you import them to your computer and work out what would have worked better or not.
You can post them on here and other forums and ask for advice.
As some one makes a suggestion you don't understand - you will learn when you get the term explained  :tup:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.