• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 113
  • Total: 113
  • Google
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Hit Miss or Maybe - Kelham Island

Started by magicrhodes, September 08, 2009, 11:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicrhodes

Hope this works and please let me know what you think.

magicrhodes

Think I've done something wrong there.... why is it massive???

greypoint

I think it depends which 'properties' you copy ;)

here's the small version. BTW if you restrict the upload size to 1024 or 800 along the top it should look OK in the forum in large size.

greypoint

Mmm - I'm still thinking about this one ;) I somehow feel what's in the background is more interesting than the foreground and I'd lose a bit of the front and the right hand side. Hopefully someone else will comment on the the treatment as it's something I'm totally inexpert on!

hevans

It's a bit flat, a bit of a curve adjustment to bring out the details/textures in the brickwork, building and snow would make give the photo richer grey tones.

Is the sky a replacement? As there seems to be a bit of a halo around the building on the right.

Other details: I'd clone or crop out the drain pipe on the top right and the tips of the benches on the mid-right. I might even be tempted to crop some of the foreground off.

To me, the main subject is the building and the two trees in the middle distance, so you could also crop some of the trees off the left side as well.

The shot has potential for several purposes:

• architectural or historical record
  • coldness (try a blue tinting to the B&W version for this
  • art

Think about what you're trying to achieve with the shot and then go from there.

If you want, I can show you an example of what I'd do with the shot.
H.

Darren1978

Its a 'maybe' for me.....

The shot would be improved by cropping a bit off the right hand side to remove the drain pipe and the edges of the benches.  I also find the initial part of the foreground a bit distracting so I'd crop that off too.  I agree with Hevans that a slight curves adjustment to boost the contrast and lift the tones would be beneficial to this shot  :tup:

magicrhodes

Quote from: hevans on September 08, 2009, 09:22:55 PM

H.

That's good advice and yes please! I am always keen to learn!

hevans

Quote from: magicrhodes on September 08, 2009, 10:05:23 PM
Quote from: hevans on September 08, 2009, 09:22:55 PM

H.

That's good advice and yes please! I am always keen to learn!

Let me know when you want it taken down/deleted.

Ta.
Hugh

Eileen

It's looking much better now. The composition is stronger with the wall line leading you eye to the centre of the image and the verticals creating a nice sense of balance. the improved contrast helps a lot too. I would be inclined to straighten out that leaning wall on the right as I find it distracting. I'd either use a distort filter or slight crop to straighten it.

jinky

Yes Hevans has done a great job in getting some contrast and balance to the image for me now but I am afraid for me it is still a miss. I`m really not sure what the focus of the picture is and struggle to find the interest point. People on the table of a key central point would be better but other than doing as hevans says and giving it a blue tone to show the coldness more I do not know how you would nake it have more impact.

Oly Paul

Heavans made a good job of improving it, but to me its still what seems a record shot of a building ( if thats what was intended then fine you succeeded) with no personel
input from the photographer.

But if you if what you saw in your minds eye when taking it was a forboding urban winter scene then you need to express that more in your post processing. :)

On a personal opinion if it were mine I would crop heavily as so to get rid of the white featureless foreground and concentrate the veiwers attention on the urban building and winter sky and inject a little more mood by tonaly altering the image.

Just a quick example and definatly not perfect.  :)

Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

magicrhodes

I'm going to go with Oly Paul on the Redux! The image was an attempt to make the most of the snow on the old buildings of Sheffield. I find that snow has the ability to remove the nature of modern life, by erasing double yellow lines etc. I have since tried a better crop of photos but I often find I snap without realising what I am trying to achieve.... typical beginner I guess!

On my first attempt I used brush that was too think to show the backround layers which resulted in a stripey sky. How do you avoid the halo effect whilst bring back the sky?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.