• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 23
  • Total: 23
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Calendar

Started by Sarasocke, November 19, 2009, 04:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

I feel as though I have sawdust in my brain, as I'm sure there must be an easy solution.

I want to make a calendar myself but can't figure out how to get the actual calendar into photoshop (preferably PSE, but CS3 is also an option). Is there an easy way to "draw" the boxes for the days of the month?

I'm getting a headache ....
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Colin

One of the mags last year gave away some PS templates, I'll see if I can find them for you and if I can I'll post them later. Have a look at this programme it may be easier.

--
edit

I just put free Photoshop calendar template into Google and came up with this link that has loads.

Forseti

Carol, here's another option for you to consider. Jeffrey Friedl (he's the man who writes those many applauded plug-ins) has released a script for a 2010 calender. You can read more about it here: http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/calendar . The script is very small so why don't you try it on one page and see what you think.

Just a couple of tips. From the link that I've given above scroll down the page a bit until you see the blue highlighted link Jeffrey's Calender Builder .jsx. Right click on this link and choose 'Save Target As' and place it on the Desktop. From here double-click the file and after a warning about scripts (they're always safe from Jeffrey) Photoshop will open up and in the Layers palette will be many layers. Ensure the Picture Mask layers is active (usually is by default), open the image file that you want, Select All and drag it into the Picture Mask layer. It's far easier to do than describe. From the other layers you can choose Opacity for the text, for the image and many other things. It's well worth having a go at least for the first month and see what you think. Me - I love it.

Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Jonathan

@Forseti WOW!  That's a very cool script.

I've just agreed to shoot a calendar (2011) for a local charity that needs some funds.  That will save me a huge amount of time.
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

Hi !

I actually wrote an answer to Colin earlier, but it got lost ..... I sometimes wonder ....  :P

I found the link to Jeffrey Friedl's blog already yesterday evening (long live Google :) ), and messed about a bit with it. I think I did a couple of things wrong, so I'll have to give it another go. Maybe with your instructions, Forseti, I'll manage it better. I think I really need to go on a Photoshop course or something. I feel so dim sometimes.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Forseti

Quote from: Sarasocke on November 20, 2009, 11:15:53 AM
I think I really need to go on a Photoshop course or something. I feel so dim sometimes.

Join the club Carol LOL. Ok, here's how I do it (maybe not the simplest, but it works).

Double-click on the script if you've located it on the desktop.
Click yes to the security warning - the script is safe.
Fill in the calender layout box when it pops up to how you want it - Landscape, Portrait etc etc.
Now forget the script for a moment and go to File > Open and select the image you want on the page. Once open go to Select All (Ctrl + A), or on my German keyboard (Strg + A). Marching ants now appear around the entire image.
Next go to Edit > Copy - you can now close this image down and return to the calender layout page.
Ensuring that the layer 'Paste Your Photo Here' is selected go to Edit > Paste. Your image will now appear in the calender. Change the opacity for that layer to taste.

Select any other layer, double-click on the thumbnail (not the description text) and you'll be able to edit that layer.

Flatten image and save in the format you want.

Run the script from the beginning once more and change the Preference to February to repeat the exercise.
Now if I can do it anyone can Carol.

Edit> Don't flatten the image but save as a PSD file if you want to preserve the layers. This might come in handy if you want to refer back to check what Font etc you used in any layer - after all, you want each month to appear the same - except for the image of course. Either that or make a note of your opacity and font settings etc before flattening and saving as a jpeg as a reminder of your settings.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Alfonso_Frisk

Worthy of a bump this one.
Gets my vote for tip of the year  :tup: :tup: :tup:

what type of paper/card are you using for printing ? and how are you binding the pages ?
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

greypoint

I have'nt found anything easier than Serif for calendars - both the templates which can be changed to suit or the basic calendar inserts which again are adjustable. In the past I've done basic printing on high quality 160gsm color copy. This year I've used some budget matt photo paper from ebay using stiff, quality glossy for the cover. Used to do loads for a couple of greyhound charities and a breed club now it's just a few for our charity and some personal ones. The paper you use is really down to cost. I bought a wire binding machine from ebay a few years ago which means I can bind my own and also make notebooks etc - was'nt expensive second hand. This year I've made some of the standing variety rather than wall hanging - quite easy once yiou get the measurements right. A guillotine and hand paper cutter are essentials if you're doing any number and a clear binding sheet over the cover can enhance.

Oldboy

I've used QuarkEXpress for layout of the calendar, Excel to create the numbers grid and VBA to fill all the numbers in and embed into QuarkEXpress.  ;D

Hinfrance

Quote from: greypoint on November 26, 2009, 07:00:55 AM
I have'nt found anything easier than Serif for calendars - both the templates which can be changed to suit or the basic calendar inserts which again are adjustable.

Couldn't agree more (as the resident Serif champion hereabouts) - either PagePlus or AlbumPlus; simple and very adaptable.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.