• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 151
  • Total: 151
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

D3S owners - a favour please

Started by Jonathan, August 28, 2010, 08:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

I'm looking at you Graham.  And that other bloke who has one.  And probably OldBoy in a day or so....

Can you run a test on your camera for me please?  Just check if it really does sync at 1/250 or not.  My D3 definitely does but I'm getting a grey smear on the S - I want to know if it's a genuine issue or a faulty copy.  (Either way it's going to Richmond....)

To check....darkish room, point it at a white wall (or anything really) set shutter to 1/250 and take a snap with flash.  If you use a speedlight then make sure you have turned OFF high speed sync mode (I'm not certain it will make a difference here but it will confuse things).  Check the bottom edge in landscape format.  Does it look darker?  Drop the shutter to 1/200 - do the pics look the same.

Thanks.

Like this.

1/250s

1/200s

I, um, didn't have any white walls..... ???
It's Guest's round

Graham

I'll get back to you in a bit. Iv'e got to take a floor sander back to the hire shop and get 3lb's of saw dust out of my nostrils!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

Quote from: Graham on August 28, 2010, 10:37:51 AM
   I'll get back to you in a bit. Iv'e got to take a floor sander back to the hire shop and get 3lb's of saw dust out of my nostrils!

Great place to take your new toy.... ;)
It's Guest's round

Graham

Well, it looks ok to me.
     Iv'e emailed you the results taken from 60th through to 250th in 1/2 steps.
                     Graham. :)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

Thanks Graham - got them.  I checked them blind and the 1/60s one looked the "worst" :)

Must be just my camera then.  Which is a good thing cos it means they can fix it.
It's Guest's round

rksmith51

Just to confirm, I have no sign of any problems at all speeds its fully exposed.

Bob
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Jonathan

Cheers Bob - looking into whether this is camera or flash.  It's possible one of the flash heads I was using has a long exposure at high power.
It's Guest's round

rksmith51

I forgot to say, how clever it was to place the model in front of the window to get the light through her hair, its very effective. I thought at first it was a flash down behind her.
getting back to the under exposure of one side problem, my flash is a SB 800, maybe Graham could let us know what he has.

Bob

Jonathan

Quote from: rksmith51 on September 10, 2010, 10:15:16 AM
I forgot to say, how clever it was to place the model in front of the window to get the light through her hair, its very effective. I thought at first it was a flash down behind her.
getting back to the under exposure of one side problem, my flash is a SB 800, maybe Graham could let us know what he has.

Bob

:)

It's flash..........

That's not a window - it's a doorway into another room. I have a flash inside the other room throwing light out and using the door frame to flag it.  You can see the spill pattern on the ceiling in the second.
It's Guest's round

rksmith51

;D so my first guess was right, it works very well, its subtle and effective, I think non photographers would see it and think wow what great shot not realising it was planned and thats what makes the difference.

Graham

Quote from: rksmith51 on September 10, 2010, 10:15:16 AM
maybe Graham could let us know what he has.

SB800.
                 Graham. :)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.