• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 114
  • Total: 114
  • Google (AdSense) (3)
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

modelling lamps

Started by nickt, January 18, 2011, 07:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickt

Is it possible to use a normal lamp as a modelling lamp. I've just bought an Interfit studio kit and one of the modelling lamps has blown. Jessops are getting me a new lamp, but I thought if I can get a normal 100w ses lamp, will it do?

Nick

Malcolm1938

The colour temperature will be different and may cause White Balance problems. I worked for many years using 150W lamps but that was with B&W Film. You could try using ordinary bulbs in both lamps and making an adjustment for white balance.
Malcolm
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

nickt

I thought the colour temperature might have been a problem. I'll wait 'till Jessops gets the lamp in. Thanks for your reply.

Nick

Jonathan

Dunno really - never tried it.

But although the whibal will be different it shouldn't cause a problem.  Either the lights will shut off the modelling lamps when the flash goes off (some do) or they will be so insignificant they won't make a difference.

E.g. set up your flash ready to take a picture and make sure it's decently exposed by the flash.  Turn flash off and modelling lights on, leave the exposure the same and take a picture.  What do you see....?
It's Guest's round

Malcolm1938

Silly me - I forgot about the flash and thought the exposure was being made using the lamps.  Of course it would make no difference if you are using the highest sync speed on your camera and exposing with flash. It's worth a try anyway because the bulb will be cheaper. You may find that the dimming of the modelling lamp is not consistent when using lower power and most longlife type bulbs dont work properly with dimming circuits.

Malcolm
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

nickt

The lamps do add to the exposure. I might just get some lamps and see what happens. Thanks for your replies.

Nick

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.