• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 92
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 104
  • Total: 104
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

And there was me thinking i'd reached a level of happiness with my kit  :-\

Hinfrance

Quote from: picsfor on January 19, 2010, 04:21:20 PM
And there was me thinking i'd reached a level of happiness with my kit  :-\

Don't worry, it' just a passing phase. You'll soon be back to normal. The next version of the 5D ought to lead to a speedy recovery.  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Quote from: picsfor on January 19, 2010, 01:53:16 PM
What's wrong with me? A shop full of toys and i did not have an impetuous urge to break out the credit card  :-\ ??? :(
I occasionally have periods like that, I think it's all part of the process. The important thing is to try not to let it worry you too much!
       Try browsing the Warehouse Express site or somewhere similar. I find that gets me back on the straight and narrow.
                        Graham. :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Graham

Hells teeth Howard! That's twice today you've beaten me to the post!
                  Graham. :D
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Forseti

What bemused me today - eBay buyers. I've just sold my used 40D with the buyer paying me 9 Euros less than he could have purchased the same camera new via Amazon. No doubt to be got even cheaper somewhere else. There's another 40D that is only 200 Euros less than the new price but that still has 18 or so hours to go on the auction so maybe that seller will realise even more than the new price. Is eBay fever a curable disease I wonder as I think some people just get carried away with the whole thing?  Heaven only knows what they would be like at a live auction. Still, mustn't complain - now what was that new lens I wanted again?  :tup:
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Jonathan

Today's lesson:  a 40 inch light cube is bigger than you think.  I mean, it's 40 inches high for a start.....
It's Guest's round

picsfor

If you keep the dosh from the 40D and sell you 100mm f2.8 macro for twice what you paid for it - you could get the new 100mm macro L and have some change.
And that would have IS to overcome the shaking caused by you laughing at how much you'd sold your kit for  :tup:

Hinfrance

Sorry Graham.

I'm sort of in hyper drive mode at the moment after a run in with government control on my PC.

Good Mrs T is a primary school teacher. She teaches English, unsurprisingly. One of the things she teaches is basic shop etiquette - like how much is this apple? It's 50p, etc. In the course of these lessons she uses cut out monochrome photocopies of English money so the children get more involved. Well today she asked me to reprint the sheet she uses so she could do a new bunch of photocopies. I decided to redo the notes because they weren't very clear.

That's when the trouble started. First off my new Epson all-in-one cheapy for the office tells me that scanning banknotes is prohibited and throws a wobbler. No problem, I used an older scanner without the restrictions in the software, although by this time I am fuming. The the Epson decides that printing DTP documents with monochrome pictures of banknotes in them is also not the sort of thing a honest person should be up to, so it refuses to print. Not only has it done that but the Epson software (which I was already feeling pretty negative about because it's started appearing all over my system) appears to have nobbled the drivers for my Canon printers and subverted my DTP and DAM software to its way of thinking because nothing will print the d*mned sheet.

Still, being a resourceful chap I booted the PC up in Ubuntu and printed it using a Canon. After first explaining to Epson very politely that they could stick their printer where the sun doesn't shine.

Anyone want to buy a hardly used Epson all in one. Only been thrown out of one upstairs window just the once . .  :D
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

But what i find interesting is how it identified the subject as money?

Jonathan

Quote from: picsfor on January 19, 2010, 05:20:14 PM

Photoshop can recognise bank notes from most major world currencies.

And I know you're gonna try that.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

No - i don't have a need nor the software.
But i will assume for the sake of it that LR2 will also recognise money from around the world.

I've still got a picture of the day to get. Need to get put now its dark to get my picture  :tup:

Nemesis

Quote from: Jonathan on January 19, 2010, 05:31:33 PM
Quote from: picsfor on January 19, 2010, 05:20:14 PM

Photoshop can recognise bank notes from most major world currencies.

And I know you're gonna try that.
There are a great many patents worldwide on counterfeit protection of banknotes, passports, certificates etc.  Mind you, I still recall the total embarrassment on the faces of reps from a major OEM a few years back when they tried to demonstrate that their MFP wouldn't copy banknotes - obviously the then £20 note wasn't in its database  ;)

ABERS

That's interesting and revealing.

I had a stiff note from some government office when I set up a picture, and had it accepted and published for a competition with 'Power' as the subject. Power equates to money and vice versa so I included some bank notes within the image, very naughty I was told and could have been prosecuted if the official had been of that mind. I blamed the magazine for publishing it. :o

This was back in the eighties. Couldn't do it now. Well yes I suppose plastic could replace money, it has everywhere else. 8)

Hinfrance

All I can say is that I didn't have this problem before I installed the Epson . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Nemesis

I don't know if its still true, but at one time in the UK you were not allowed to clearly display/depict bank notes on TV or in papers etc (and why pictures of notes have 'specimen' watermarked across them) in case a criminal copied the banknote - obviously said criminal would not have the intelligence to copy a banknote that may have been in their wallet  :doh:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.