• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 78
  • Total: 78
  • Baidu
parkcameras
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Shoutbox

Started by Reinardina, June 20, 2014, 08:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Sorry to have started all this.

It's just me, who has problems with any text that has a slider you have to move to right and left to read it.

I am partially sighted and have problems reading anything. I do not see whole words, just some of the letters, and my brain combines them into a word. Most of the times the guesswork is correct, but not always.

I have to read very carefully, and often return to the word to check it makes sense in combination with the rest of the text.

It is difficult to find the right place immediately. When a sentence is not visible at once,  the moving about to keep track, is even more difficult.

Large chunks of texts are easier to cope with if they are on one line.

That's all there is to it.

A personal request.

Sorry for the bullying.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Mick

Moving to site feedback.

OK, this bloomin shoutbox has caused quite a few problems of late, and I for one haven't a clue what to do about it.   As it stands atm, the shoutbox is just that, a place for small shouts.  Links are fine, but tbh it would be an idea to learn how to use text links.  This will keep them short and prevent the horizontal scroll bar in the shoutbox. 

Here's a couple of examples.

Imagine posting this link in the shoutbox, R would be having kittens.  :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=memory%20cards%20for%20digital%20cameras&sprefix=memory+cards%2Caps%2C193

So you could turn it into a text link like this,

[url=you link address goes here]Your text goes here[/url]

Like,

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=memory%20cards%20for%20digital%20cameras&sprefix=memory+cards%2Caps%2C193]Memory Cards[/url]

So the end result is a link like this, Memory Cards

In the admin boards we have discussed turning the shoutbox into a place to chat, but I tried this and it just doesn't work, not without recoding the whole thing.   

I would prefer if any full length discussions took place in the forums.  Like we are doing right now.  ;) 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Alfonso_Frisk

I think some people need to wind their necks in a bit and calm down. I could not give a monkeys chuff how a link looks in the "chat box".
There is an option to turn it off if a user does not like it or how its set up.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

jinky

Same here. I rarely use shout myself and what is in it doesn`t bother me as I`ll just ignore if not relevant. It never goes wider for me  - just longer if it`s got a link added.

Oldboy

Shout box should be used like twitter - short messages only. Anything longer should be in the forums.  :tup:

donoreo

Quote from: Oldboy on June 21, 2014, 08:42:52 AM
Shout box should be used like twitter - short messages only. Anything longer should be in the forums.  :tup:
I agree and this is a good point.  Can there be a limit put on shouts? 

Mick

Quote from: donoreo on June 21, 2014, 12:28:51 PM

Not without a bit of file editing, there's no actual admin setting for that. I'll add a feature request for this though, as it's a good idea.  :tup:

The default character limit is 300, I just tested it.   Twitter is 120 I believe, so what would you recommend?

My Gallery

OpenSea

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Mick on June 21, 2014, 03:30:43 PM
Quote from: donoreo on June 21, 2014, 12:28:51 PM

Not without a bit of file editing, there's no actual admin setting for that. I'll add a feature request for this though, as it's a good idea.  :tup:

The default character limit is 300, I just tested it.   Twitter is 120 I believe, so what would you recommend?

140 would be fine 150 max in my opinion   :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Good idea. Twitter is 140 characters, so that or anything less would be ideal.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 21, 2014, 04:25:16 PM

Twitter is 140 characters

Yeah, I knew that, but was just testing to see if you noticed.  :legit:

EDIT: oh, forgot to say, I'll check out the code and see if I can change it.  Thanks guys.  :tup:

My Gallery

OpenSea

Mick

A limit of 140 characters has been added to the shoutbox, trouble is you can type more than 140 in the text box, but it'll get cut off when you shout.  Not ideal, but haven't found a workaround for this yet.  :doh:

My Gallery

OpenSea

Alfonso_Frisk

I thought we had renamed it to  "chat box" ?
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

2Beers

Most forums I have been on with shout boxes  have the across the top full width and the actual forum starts below the shout box

Mick

Quote from: 2Beers on June 21, 2014, 07:13:14 PM
Most forums I have been on with shout boxes  have the across the top full width and the actual forum starts below the shout box

You mean like this on my test site. http://cctestsite.info/forums/index.php?action=forum

Personally I hate shoutboxes, and would much rather see people chat in the forums.  This is even more important when people ask techy questions, perhaps when their browser, or computer is playing up, then the discussion gets lost instead of building up a forum full of info.

Amazingly, I put this place together in October 2007, and it's only just recently the shoutbox has started causing so much fuss.  Daft aint it.  :beer:

My Gallery

OpenSea

Oldboy

Quote from: Mick on June 21, 2014, 07:55:02 PM
Amazingly, I put this place together in October 2007, and it's only just recently the shoutbox has started causing so much fuss.  Daft aint it.  :beer:

It must be the seven year itch syndrome.  :2funny:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.