• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 48
  • Total: 48
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What browser do you use?

Started by Mick, March 16, 2013, 06:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

It's just the interface Mick - it's so awkward and so slow. It takes ages to start up, the tools are bizarrely arranged, but the main thing I don't like about it is that, on my installation at least, it's impossible to close one of multiple windows - it just exits every time.

PS, just uninstalling it now, as it goes.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

I use IE9 most of the time as most of my favourites are set there and work well but occasionally have to switch to Firefox ( mainly when updating website, setting up a photobook on photobox and others I use and when trying to open some attachments on emails). IE just fails on the latter for some reason - all this with windows 7. On my tablet I use chrome.

Hinfrance

Hmm, can't uninstall IE9. So I'll just delete the short cut and pretend it's gone. :uglystupid2:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I'm sure my new Windows 8 laptop comes with IE10.
On my previous laptop, I had Vista and IE9 and FF. Used IE 99 % of the time.

My new machine comes with spell checker and highlights, even corrects, misspelled words. From somewhere I gleaned that this is an IE10 feature, rather than Windows 8. If this is not the case, this reply should be ignored of course.

While it is handy to be corrected or told about mistakes, it can also be irritating as I cannot switch it off easily when I write in Dutch and every single word is underlined. It drives me mad. You can switch it off, but then have to restart the machine. It's quick and easy, but annoying, as I tend to do my email in one sitting and switch regularly between the languages.

Even when switched off, I am convinced the automated spelling corrector is half heartedly working, as my Dutch all of a sudden littered with misspelled words like 'heft' for 'heeft' (has). When I use our 'main machine' (Vista, IE9), I don't make these typos.

Switching the language of the machine to Dutch doesn't help, and changes everything to Dutch; desktop becomes 'bureau blad' and though I know what it means, I have learnt 'computering' in English and the Dutch words are totally unfamiliar.

Don't know if I have added anything to the discussion, but if not, I've aired a grievance, which is good!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Re, not having any of the latest whizz bang stuff, it should be possible to install a Dutch dictionary as well as the UK one and be able to switch between them: we have English and French dictionaries installed in Opera.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Markulous

Internet Explorer has come a long way from the days when it was dire and oversimplistic - it's pretty good nowadays! :)

You can add additional dictionaries to the spelling:
Manage Add-ons
Spelling Correction
Get more spelling dictionaries online
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Reinardina

I always shy away from downlading and installing anything, but I'll have a look at a dictionary when I get totally fed up!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Markulous on March 17, 2013, 07:52:21 PM
Internet Explorer has come a long way from the days when it was dire and oversimplistic - it's pretty good nowadays! :)

Manage Add-ons
Spelling Correction
What about ad blockers for IE ?
Ive yet to come across a decent one. Last time I tried Adblock on IE it was useless with pop ups and vids everywhere I browsed. FF with Adblock plus installed is much easier
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Markulous

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on March 18, 2013, 09:13:04 AM
Quote from: Markulous on March 17, 2013, 07:52:21 PM

Manage Add-ons
Spelling Correction
What about ad blockers for IE ?
Ive yet to come across a decent one. Last time I tried Adblock on IE it was useless with pop ups and vids everywhere I browsed. FF with Adblock plus installed is much easier

Possibly - I really don't know as I stopped using Ad blockers years ago and just allow the apps default popup blocking which seems to work well (but, to be honest, I just don't "see" ads any more - they may appear but "whoosh" over my head to invisibility!)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.