• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 83
  • Total: 83
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Speakers Corner Meet - moved to identify this meet only...

Started by picsfor, September 05, 2009, 10:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minky_monkey

Well, I`m absolutely shattered!

It was really good fun, I`ll freely admit to being aprehensive before the shoot.  People, and especially street photography is well out of my comfort zone.  But after taking a few, I really started to enjoy myself.

I`d definitely go again.  It was great to meet up with everybody again.  I`ve stuck some quick edits up in the gallery done via DPP, but I`m going to re-edit later.

Oldboy

Glad you had a great day out and enjoyed yourselves. Look forward to seeing all the photos.  :2funny:

irv_b

I'm cheesed off that I missed going out with you guys - looks like a good time was had by all :)
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Sandy

I had a great day and I think that I have a few keepers

Sandy

ABERS

Like Martin I'm absolutely cream crackered, haven't walked so far in years. Will have a look at what I got tomorrow, and get some posted.

Thanks Andrew for organising it, and thanks to Eileen, Sandy, Martin and Keith and of course Andrew for some great company.

Cheers...Alan.

Oldboy

Quote from: Sandy on September 20, 2009, 10:05:44 PM

Sandy
I've just commented on some shots you posted and they are fantastic. I think you are a natural for these kind of shots. Well done.  ;D

greypoint

Are you going to start a thread about the results of this meet? Lovely to see the pictures but I'd like to know more about them in context - to hear a bit about what they were arguing for and, for those of us who've never been there, what the area's like and which characters impressed you with their rhetoric 8)

picsfor

Briefly - Speakers Corner is a part of Hyde Park where people can turn up and have a rant about what ever they want.

For the most part, it is very much those with a religious bent that were doing the talking although the wars did come into at one or two points.
If you've ever seen the film "Monty Pythons Life of Brian" - there is a section where "Reg" falls into a group of "speakers" and comes with with such classics as "consider the lilly" and "blessed are the cheese makers"
It was very much like that.

The main characters for us were "the Cowboy", "Lenin", and "the chap by the lamp post". Fringe characters also existed such as the man in the apron, the elderly lady whose rants would have got her arrested any where else and of course our favourite who didn't want his picture taken and accused Sandy of being "a secret picture taker". You do not turn up at speakers corner and engage the main players of the day and then complain about having your picture taken. It's like being the B&G coming out of a church to find people taking lots of pictures of you and accusing them of "being secret picture takers". Many were apparently regulars and well known to Alan who uses this location as source material.

Some of the comments were thoughtful, some considered, some just plain rude, others very funny and the rest was either so far off the beaten track or so in your face aggressive it was jaw dropping.

This is  just a brief explanation, but i hope the others will come in with their take on the day.

Hope this helps a little bit.

krennon

Well it was a fantastic day out, and great to meet up with some old and new faces, Andrew thanks for organising it the rest of you thanks for making it a great day, like Martin I was completely out of my comfort zone initially but soon got into the swing of it...will post some shots tonight hopefully
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

ABERS

Quote from: greypoint on September 21, 2009, 06:32:48 AM
Are you going to start a thread about the results of this meet? Lovely to see the pictures but I'd like to know more about them in context - to hear a bit about what they were arguing for and, for those of us who've never been there, what the area's like and which characters impressed you with their rhetoric 8)

I have a piece on Speakers' Corner on my web site, see link below, if it works. My Blurb book has a subtitle "The Best Free Show In Town" which I think those that went would agree with.

http://www.clikpic.com/admin/preview.cfm?section=section153282

Sandy

Quote from: Oldboy on September 20, 2009, 10:44:28 PM
Quote from: Sandy on September 20, 2009, 10:05:44 PM

Sandy
I've just commented on some shots you posted and they are fantastic. I think you are a natural for these kind of shots. Well done.  ;D

Thanks very much for your nice encouraging comments

Sandy

picsfor

I have to say there are some great pictures of the days events.

The only one missing is Keith's shot of the Cowboy. Still going through mine and working out if anything will add to what is already posted.

It really was a great day and has probably increased my confidence to not worry so much about taking pictures in the street.

ABERS

Don't forget there is a gallery on Flickr for you to post your Speakers' Corner images.

Martin has been there already.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/speakerscorner/pool/

Cheers... Alan

krennon

Hey gang,

Sorry been a bit busy these last couple of nights, uploaded the cowboy shot now into the speakers corner gallery :tup:...It was a fantastic day out and I reckon we should do it again, in fact i was telling a couple of people at camera club about it on Monday night and they're up for it, so maybe mid Oct?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Sandy

Thanks for the comments about converting my image to black and white. I have tried twice since I posted the last one which was soft down the left hand side of the beard and was not able to get a better result. I sent a copy to a friend who is also in a camera club and he pointed out that there is not enough definition between the left hand side of the character's hat and the left hand side of his beard with the background the result will always be slightly soft so a camera club judge would notice this straight away. Since I actually managed to get my first 20 last week with the dog weaving though the poles I do not want to enter a image that is not quite right.
Thanks again

Sandy

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.