• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Heat!

Started by SimonW, June 12, 2013, 09:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

Camera specifications often say what very low temperatures they can handle, but what about high temperatures? We probably all know not to leave kit in bright sun inside the car, but...

I've often been worried by how hot my camera can get hanging from my shoulder when walking in the sun in places like Spain. And last Saturday it got almost too hot to touch while on a tripod in the sun - in Scotland!

So, does heat matter, or should I always try to keep the camera in the shade?
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

It's probably not a good idea to cook your camera Simon. Sensors definitely stop working if they get too hot - you'll find that the camera will just shut down if it gets too hot internally.

From my K5 manual "Do not subject the camera to high temperatures or high humidity. Do not leave the camera in a vehicle, as the temperature can get very high", and "The temperature range for camera use is -10°C to 40°C (14°F to 104°F)."

My K10D manual (it's in French) has exactly the same first phrase, and the second phrase says the temperature range is 0C to +40C. Which is clearly nonsense as I frequently take it up the mountain with me when I'm snowboarding and it has always worked perfectly. :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

It's not the camera so much as the battery.Too hot and they can explode, too cold and the power drains very quickly. Having said that, remember lenses and the eye cup contain glass, which concentrate the sun's rays and could melt something in the camera.  :o

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.