• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

nikon 24-70

Started by alan1572, January 02, 2011, 05:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan1572

nikon 24-70 wanted
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

jinky

You and me both Alan. They seem to go for nearly as much second hand as new. I`m fighting the urge to get one from Jessops on 6 months interest free at the moment - fear I may weaken soon  ;)

alan1572

i have just sold my 12-24 so i have only the nikon 105mm and the nikon 70-200mm vr II so i now have a large gap at the shallow end

alan1572

just looking on ebay and theres a sigma version going for £445, they are only £575 new, but because i'm a brand snob i can't bring myself to buy a sigma one :-\

alan1572

Quote from: jinky on January 02, 2011, 06:24:11 PM
You and me both Alan. They seem to go for nearly as much second hand as new.   ;)

£950 second hand with a worn front cap and rubbed out letters on the barrel, they are only another £120 or so new.

Oldboy

You'll be lucky to get a 24-70mm F2.8 for less than a £1,000. Gray's of Westminister have a Nikon 35-70mm F2.8D AF at £425 and also one at £395, which might be your best bet to almost cover that range. You could also choose the Nikon 24-85mm F2.8-4 D IF at £520 brand new.  ;D

Trickee

Mifsuds have it at £1177 before the dreaded V.A.T increase  :tup:

Jonathan

There's a 2nd hand allegedly mint 24-70 on http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/ right now for £910.  I know nothing about the seller but exotic stuff often turns up there at reasonable prices ;) (You'll need to join the site to view for sale threads).

TBH I wouldn't bother with the Sigma - no matter what reviews say.

If funds are tight and you can find one then check out the old school 28-70.  They change hands for £600 or so and it's very nice.  Or like OB said - check out the 35 - 70 - but not at anything like those prices.  Mine was about £130 - there are a couple at Fixation for < £300.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on January 03, 2011, 12:21:17 PM
If funds are tight and you can find one then check out the old school 28-70.  They change hands for £600 or so and it's very nice.  Or like OB said - check out the 35 - 70 - but not at anything like those prices.  Mine was about £130 - there are a couple at Fixation for < £300.

With Grey's you get a secondhand lens that is as good as new, worth it for piece of mind.  ;D

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on January 03, 2011, 02:32:12 PM
Quote from: Jonathan on January 03, 2011, 12:21:17 PM

With Grey's you get a secondhand lens that is as good as new, worth it for piece of mind.  ;D

That's their reputation but I wasn't overly impressed with the last lens I bought there.  I'd rather take a 3 month warranty from Fixation than their higher prices ;)
It's Guest's round

jinky

Yeah saw that " Mint but the rubber has come unstuck on the zoom and needs some glue. I think I`d pay for new and get the warranty.

Jonathan

Quote from: jinky on January 03, 2011, 04:38:18 PM
Yeah saw that " Mint but the rubber has come unstuck on the zoom and needs some glue. I think I`d pay for new and get the warranty.

Actually the rubber is basically a consumable on this lens ;)  Don't glue it - get Nikon to replace.  It's friction fit.
It's Guest's round

alan1572

so reading his reviews the 2.8 is a better lens, cheers Ob

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.