• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 175
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 174
  • Total: 174
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Cloud computing...

Started by happypaddler, June 15, 2011, 03:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happypaddler

Hi all,

Not been around for a while - busy doing my PhD and not enough time to play... I have a non-camera orientated question, however I know that you are a knowledgeable lot and thought there maybe others who use cloud storage solutions.

I use a number of different bits of software (Scrivener and EndNote being the main two academic wise) and I need constant access to numerous .pdf journal docs etc that I keep referring to. I use both a laptop and desktop - both mac and currently use the iDisk function of Apple MobileMe to store all files - this system automatically keeps a copy of all files on both computers and the cloud, whilst at the same time it updates all three as and when I have been working on files, so both computers and the cloud always hold the most up to date files. Following the recent keynote by Mr. Jobs, it appears the revamped iCloud will not have the iDisk part that I currently use, or at least there was no mention of it. I'm hoping in due course it will be mentioned - probably as a paid extra (its not free at the moment). However if they get rid of it completely or it's stupidly over priced... I want to be ready with an alternative solution.

Apple have said we all have free MobileMe until the iCloud is fully rolled out in 2012 - I am therefore thinking this gives me time to trial a few alternatives to decide where to go, should I need to - rather than being forced to make a rash knee jerk jump to something that actually does not fulfil my needs. The other alternative is to set up a server at home and use that - though I'm not sure how that all works or how much that would cost.

So I guess I am asking for advice on two things - an alternative safe and secure cloud storage solution that will keep my two mac's in sync with all my files etc... and an idea of cost, plausibility and advice on how to set up a home server to do this task.

Thanks in advance...

Jonathan

Dropbox.

It works.  It's multi platform.  It's free.

http://db.tt/wkHWGOT
It's Guest's round

happypaddler

I have been using Dropbox for a while to sync a shopping list (and similar inconsequential data) between my wife's android phone and my iPhone and yes it works... but is Dropbox safe? I'm always sceptical of free when I'm trusting it with important, sensitive and confidential data (some of my research falls into this category as I'm in police station custody suites and interview transcripts/questionnaires etc need to be kept very very secure)  - though the free 2 GB is not big enough and I'd have to pay for more space, not that that should make a difference to it's security.

Hinfrance

Keep your confidential stuff in Dropbox inside a TrueCrypt container - takes a bit of getting used to, but is freeware and about as secure as you can get.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

happypaddler

Thanks, I'll have a look and a play to see how user friendly it is.

Jonathan

Ah yes.  Dropbox is "secure" but as you know there's a difference between "secure" and "holding interview transcripts so they don't appear in the Daily Fail secure".

In fact I reckon it's as secure as anything on the cloud - i.e. buying another service won't get you more security.  Either use TrueCrypt or run your own service (which being web accessible could still be vulnerable to heavy duty attack).

If I leave my MacPro on by accident and turn on my MacBook at a friend's house, I'm constantly amazed that I can log in via the internet just like I can on my intranet.  I can even remote screen.  Mac Mini plus a really long password?

Re Dropbox costs - recommend it to people ;)  I'm at nearly 10GB on my free account now....
It's Guest's round

anglefire

I see I'm playing at it - I've only got 4Gb!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

And i'm at 5gb - strobist shoots have their uses  ;)

I don't know of anyone who tries Dropbox who doesn't get on with it. So handy to let people view pics for consideration or transfer.
As for security - is their any where that is "really safe" - only if it was an external hard drive that was unplugged from the computer and and only connected to the computer when it was wasn't connected to any type of network.

But it's all down to what you consider as sensitive.

happypaddler

I just read on the Scrivener forum (the software I use to write my thesis) that Dropbox causes issues with backing up whilst working on a document that is stored on Dropbox. I am sure I could get around that though, by saving the file to the desktop, removing it from dropbox then putting it back on when I've finished working. I would have to pay a monthly subscription as I would need the larger capacity asap when/if Apple can iDisk next year (though I shall start promoting it and try and get some more space for free in the interim).

I've just come across http://www.pogoplug.com/ which may be an option, with an initial outlay and the that is it. It essentially creates a cloud storage network and allows up to 5 EHD's visible as cloud storage. I can see many advantages with it, if it does what it says it does. Going to go look at some reviews.

Thanks all for the advice.

Markulous

Quote from: happypaddler on June 15, 2011, 06:55:39 PM
I have been using Dropbox for a while to sync a shopping list (and similar inconsequential data) between my wife's android phone and my iPhone and yes it works... but is Dropbox safe? I'm always sceptical of free when I'm trusting it with important, sensitive and confidential data (some of my research falls into this category as I'm in police station custody suites and interview transcripts/questionnaires etc need to be kept very very secure)  - though the free 2 GB is not big enough and I'd have to pay for more space, not that that should make a difference to it's security.

I use Dropbox but only for making images accessible for others to download/print/publish and use SafeSync from Trend Micro for backing up my images (about 1/4 way through and up to 140GB so far!). Whilst I'm confident that the data is secure, I'm really not too fussed if someone does breach the system as they are just photos (but I'd be faintly surprised, being run by an antivirus company). However, I would question your letting any highly confidential info anywhere near the internet - I know people in banking, NHS, etc who never connect their system to a network, never mind the internet!
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

happypaddler

Hi Markulous, I know exactly what you are saying - the stuff I want to store is sensitive - but only until I have permission from the constabulary to publish. I'll have various files which are annonymised and only the person who is the subject of that interview transcript / completed questionnaire will know the information comes from them. Anything more sensitive will be on my laptop (which is what I use "in the field") and will be transfered to an EHD and off my laptop before I send the annonymised files to the cloud (I will be doing lots of boring stats analysis of this vast data set).

Anything that is really sensitive to the public at large i.e. on going investigations and anything directly relating to suspects themselves are off limits to my research - I'm looking at officers and other staff who work within the custody suite. The sensitive "field data" really is the small part of what I need cloud access to. The main thing is my ongoing theses its self (which I don't want to get out) and many many journal docs, bits of legislation, case law, and reports - which are all somewhere on the web already). As I work in different settings on different machines I want access to them all quickly and not have to worry that I do not have the latest/updated file.

If anyone does get hold of my files it will be my own work which is stolen - and perhaps the constabulary and some officers may be a bit embarrassed once my critical eye has been cast, should anyone decide my work is worth publishing before I do.

For dropbox users - I just read they had a security issue this morning - see http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/20/dropbox-security-bug-temporarily-allowed-logins-without-authenti/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.