• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 237
  • Total: 237
  • Google
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

vibration reduction or fast glass?

Started by chris@seary.com, November 20, 2009, 11:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris@seary.com

What do you think?

My 18-55 has VR. VR gives me a (consistent) two stop advantage. So the max aperture at 55mm (5.6) is effectively 2.8

My 50mm has a 1.8 max aperture, so that's another stop and a half over the zoom. And it stops subject movement, rather than just camera shake.

Since I got my D90 and can now have AF with all my lovely primes again, I just don't use zooms. However, it's winter and low light, so I'll probably back to using zooms in the summer.

So which is best? VR or fast glass?

greypoint

Fast glass because living things tend to move even when they look still so shutter speed can be important. Having said that, I like my 70-300mm VR because it's a helluva lot lighter than carting some 300mm f2.8 about!

Graham

For me and the things I do It's 2.8 or faster, for the same reason as Sue. Particularly at the tele' end where all movment is magnified.
    Of course you can somtimes have both.
                          Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

For me it's horses for courses.
I opted for the Canon 70-200 f4 with IS because it is sooo much smaller and lighter to carry around than the 2.8 version. But then it is a multi purpose lens as most zooms are.
I think with primes - you are using them for a specific task, to get a specific type if shot so IS/VR is not so important.

Oldboy

Nikon primes like the 400mm F2.8, 500mm F4 and 600mm F4 all have VR, so I guess it can be useful to have. My 400mm F2.8 AIS doesn't have VR and I miss it at times, because even on a tripod you can get slight movement which VR can correct.  ;D

anglefire

Depends what you need. VR is only good for static subjects or, it you have the option, panning.

And although an f5.6 with VR might be considered a f2.8 - its not, it doesn't have the ability to blur the background in the same way a f2.8 does.

If your subject is moving, then the only way is to have fast glass - or high ISO. Or both.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.