• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 57
  • Total: 57
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

A Yuneec Typhoon Q500. It is available elsewhere but for about £150
More than I found it for. Happy to wait for it to come back into stock.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jediboy on April 21, 2018, 04:24:46 AM
A Yuneec Typhoon Q500. It is available elsewhere but for about £150
More than I found it for. Happy to wait for it to come back into stock.

Nice well specified drone. If you are planning on getting it from Banggood, Gearbest  or similar don't forget about import duty :)

I've pretty much decided to go for a Mavic Air - dependent upon my phone being compatible. If not then the Xiaomi.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

StephenBatey

A few weeks back, ACDSee 2.4 which I've been using for years (about 20, to go by the copyright of the program) ceased to work on Win10. It would display photos happily, but hung as soon as I swtiched to thumbnails - it appeared to be unable to read the directory structure. The latest version of ACDSee (10) I have, and it does work, but it has a cluttered interface and too many features for my day to day use. I eventually found that version 3.1 worked on Win10. Then a week or so ago, it also failed to work. Photos displayed fine, thumbnails no problem, but immediate hang if I tried to move or copy photos. And even worse, TaskManager couldn't just remove the one offending hung instance, but all open ACDSee windows went. Cue a move back to Win7 where everything works.

The I came across an article in a magazine that called my attention to a free Microsoft download of Win10 together with a full development environment in a format that allowed its installation into a virtual machine. I'd already got VirtualBox on my Win10 system, so I installed it on Win7 (same computer, two boot disks and a boot manager to make easy switching) to try it. A few minutes ago, I got the whimsical idea of trying ACDSee 2.4 on the Win10 Enterprise edition running on VirtualBox. It worked...

So what's the difference between Win10 Professional and Win10 Enterprise running on the same hardware that means that one runs the program and the other doesn't? N.B this is a rhetorical question!
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Oldboy

Quote from: StephenBatey on July 16, 2018, 12:21:53 AM

So what's the difference between Win10 Professional and Win10 Enterprise running on the same hardware that means that one runs the program and the other doesn't? N.B this is a rhetorical question!

Captain Kirk runs the Enterprise!  :P :doh:

StephenBatey

Quote from: Oldboy on July 16, 2018, 09:01:57 AM

Captain Kirk runs the Enterprise!  :P :doh:

Very true. I should have realised it at once.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

StephenBatey

And Win10 again....

I just allowed the dreaded major update ("This will take some time; we suggest you go away and read War and Peace as a warm up before reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall, and finish by mastering a new language"). It did reboot several times; the percentage completed did go backwards (seriously!) but eventually I got my new improved Windows booted. Just a half dozen of so screens to plough through declining new features, and there I was at the desktop.

Try File Explorer - lot's of unwanted items at the top under my computer. No problem, it's happened before and I have a registry script to fix it. Not fully this time - one left. Go away and find what to change in the registry and everythings back to normal. Then I tried the next test of something that Win10 updates have messed up before - selecting more than 15 files and hitting enter to open them all. And this is where what started as a "What irritated you today" moves to "bemused".

The easiest way to get multiple files to open simultaneously was to go to a photos directory. I selected 16 files; Windows XP apparently had no limit, but in Win 7 and above Microsoft put in a maximum number of 15, on the grounds that users might not realise the consequences of opening a lot of files at once; they did assume that users would however realise the consequences of deleting hundreds of files at once, and put no limit on that. Bless them, they did also explain what to add to the registry to restore the status quo. So, 16 files selected; I hit enter. What happens? Do I get only the first 15 opening? Do I get nothing happening? No. ONE OF THE PHOTOS BECOMES MY DESKTOP BACKGROUND!

Much searching to correct this. Opinions vary on how to stop it; some say that the option is in the "Power" options; others (including Microsoft by way of a Windows red message) tell me that I need to change the disability options to get my plain colour background back. Eventually I do.

After the registry fix everything is back to normal, but before that my tests showed that up to 4 files selected opened OK, and between 4 and 15 only 4 opened.

Hinfrance

Flickr has just committed suicide.

Will be $50 a year or a limit of 1000 pictures.

I reckon most won't pay that much and the free offering is just insulting. Goodbye Flickr, it's been fun. Sort of.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

I used Flickr for a while, but didn't stick with it. You'd like to think that they know what they are doing, time will tell I guess. What you've just said means I definatleywont go back.

Chris

Jediboy

Just been onto Photomatix to edit some photos, and its saying I need to order the licence!! But I have already purchased it so am annoyed that it now won't work fro me. Don't want to buy it again.  >:(

Chris

Jediboy

And its back to normal today, working quite nicely.

Chris

jinky

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 01, 2018, 06:07:22 PM
Flickr has just committed suicide.

Will be $50 a year or a limit of 1000 pictures.

I reckon most won't pay that much and the free offering is just insulting. Goodbye Flickr, it's been fun. Sort of.

I`ve rarely been on using my free membership of late anyway so won`t miss it. Shame.

Alfonso_Frisk

I have a pro account which is $24.99 and going up to $49.99 >:(
I only have 1500 shots at reduced sizes in there and are a member of many a group.
But I ain't renewing in Feb 09. There is nothing new or useful to me to justify the doubling of subs.
I will go to a free account which has a 1000 shot max limit.
Some over there have tens of thousands of full res shots uploaded using the site as a free storage, they must be crazy, and they are the ones most angry.

Its been on its arse over there for a few years now. No community as such and very buggy.
I can see it being dead within 12 months
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on November 03, 2018, 01:43:55 PM
I have a pro account which is $24.99 and going up to $49.99 >:(
I only have 1500 shots at reduced sizes in there and are a member of many a group.
But I ain't renewing in Feb 09. There is nothing new or useful to me to justify the doubling of subs.
I will go to a free account which has a 1000 shot max limit.
Some over there have tens of thousands of full res shots uploaded using the site as a free storage, they must be crazy, and they are the ones most angry.

Its been on its arse over there for a few years now. No community as such and very buggy.
I can see it being dead within 12 months

Just so, I won't be renewing my pro account when it expires either.

I can understand them wanting to limit the free account bits, but doubling the pro fee is insane - they should have reduced it to get more of the freeloaders into payment schemes.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

I used to use flickr quite a bit until I found out some members were copying other peoples images and claiming it as their own.  :uglystupid2:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.