• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 45
  • Total: 45
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

It certainly is crazy!
I've never seen anything like it. There seems to be a state of panic spreading across the world and it is, as you say, crazy!

We really do need calm, clear leadership more than ever. But some will still panic unfortunately.
Stay safe everyone.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

Quote from: Jediboy on March 17, 2020, 04:47:17 PM
It certainly is crazy!
I've never seen anything like it. There seems to be a state of panic spreading across the world and it is, as you say, crazy!

We really do need calm, clear leadership more than ever. But some will still panic unfortunately.
Stay safe everyone.

I'm not panicking as I stand on the surface of Mars........ :D

anglefire

Quote from: jinky on March 17, 2020, 04:04:23 PM
PM still too vague. My daughter has her first day back at work after a year of maternity leave working in a new area. The nursery call saying she must collect 2 children as one of them coughed. No temperature, not persistent and a child who  throughout her 2 years at nursery has been known to  have coughs and treatment for asthma etc. So now to follow government advice she and her husband have to isolate the family for 2 weeks according to nursery who will not take the children even if not coughing tomorrow. Initially we were on our way to pick them up but my daughter said we`d have to self isolate with them if we did so so turned us back. The whole thing is crazy. I sometimes wonder if we`d have been best just letting the virus hit us full on. What sense is there in delaying it when there is still no vaccine likely for months. My other daughter meantime works for an airline, Jet2 who have been very good with customers in cancelling holidays / flights / getting them back. I hope they are able to be so good to staff but fear that she`ll be sent on unpaid leave anytime now as BA and others have already done.

Its not vague at all in my opinion - at least not in the advice as to what to do (The financials are still being worked on, but that will come in days). 7 days if you think you have it, and a further 7 days if you live with someone - so they can display symptoms - or not.

Did you know that even that ship that had the people on it only had a 20% infection rate? On a ship with a population density 4x that of Hong Kong and a common ventilation system.

The biggest problem in my view is the media - they are sensationalising it all and making it worse causing all this panic buying - I mean its been days now - where the hell are people putting all the food and bog roll?

The other problem is what you have seen. People not assessing the "illness" - a cough doesn't not mean you have the virus.

Tonight they are guessing that there could be 10x the official confirmed figure with the virus - so 1/4 Million. Out of a population of 66Million. Less than 1% - less than 0.5%

The option of just letting it go wild would have overwhelmed the NHS with those that will get it bad - which would have resulted in even more deaths than they have now.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Quote from: anglefire on March 17, 2020, 05:55:33 AM
And now Scotland is looking unlikely. ??

Scotland has been pulled too. :(   Hopefully later in the year - its a ready to cook trip, so only need to pack the car and go.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

We have all the supermarkets doing their best to keep the shelves stocked - and as soon as they do, some fuckwit empties them again. Haven't panic buying people realised that they are the problem? There is enough to go around.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Mick

Quote from: anglefire on March 19, 2020, 07:41:23 AM
We have all the supermarkets doing their best to keep the shelves stocked - and as soon as they do, some fuckwit empties them again. Haven't panic buying people realised that they are the problem? There is enough to go around.

Madness isn't it.  Got a loaf of bread this morning, haven't managed to get any for three days.   ::)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

jinky

Where the hell are they storing it all! No milk, eggs, tinned goods, flour, meat at Sainsburys earlier. Hell even beer stocks are low!

Oldboy

Went to Iceland at 15:00 but half the store was empty. No fresh veg, very little bread, no milk of any description, half the frozen food cabinets were empty. At the checkouts big queues.  >:( >:( >:(

I could have gone before 8:00pm but was concerned lots of old people would have been there coughing and sneezing without using handkerchiefs or tissues.  :o   

anglefire

My youngest is working at Tesco's before she starts uni in September (Hopefully!) and starts at 6am to do the .Com shopping - and yesterday did say that the rate the shelves empty is slowing down- there is still some left on the shelves at 12!

Three in my house are "Key workers" - wife, youngest at Tesco's and eldest who is in third year Uni on a Radiography course - she might be pressed into work earlier than planned - though she still has to get some practical stuff sorted which is proving harder to get because things like theatre operations are happening less as time goes by and she needs to have done several different type of imaging to pass. The uni itself is closed - so in theory at least she could go back on placement to get them done!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Quote from: jinky on March 19, 2020, 01:08:17 PM
Where the hell are they storing it all! No milk, eggs, tinned goods, flour, meat at Sainsburys earlier. Hell even beer stocks are low!

I've been saying that - though I've also heard that freezers are not low stock items!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

StephenBatey

I heard that sales of freezers are now up 200%.

My annoyance today was taking my car in for its booked MOT and finding the main dealer I use had barricaded the car park entrance and left the building empty. No warning, even though I spoke to them earlier this week.

Due to MOTs now running for a year from the test date, rather than a year from the expiry of the previous, the date moves back each year. My certificate expires on 28th March, so not covered by the extension. I managed to get an appointment for Monday, so hopefully that will be OK.

The MOT was put back anyway by a chipping causing a crack in the windscreen, which crept up to above a third of the height of the windscreen on the driver's side. Despite trying on Monday last week, I only got a response after contacting one of the companies (Autoglass) via their web site contact form and a follow up email when that was ignored. They came on Saturday - with the wrong windscreen. Rearranged for next available date on Thursday. Then a message on Wednesday saying they were cancelling all appointments except for essential workers etc. So I contacted company and played the age card, as I'm 71. Finally done.

And the saga still goes on, until the car passes.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Mick

Quote from: StephenBatey on March 27, 2020, 09:05:51 PM
I heard that sales of freezers are now up 200%.

My annoyance today was taking my car in for its booked MOT and finding the main dealer I use had barricaded the car park entrance and left the building empty. No warning, even though I spoke to them earlier this week.

Due to MOTs now running for a year from the test date, rather than a year from the expiry of the previous, the date moves back each year. My certificate expires on 28th March, so not covered by the extension. I managed to get an appointment for Monday, so hopefully that will be OK.

The MOT was put back anyway by a chipping causing a crack in the windscreen, which crept up to above a third of the height of the windscreen on the driver's side. Despite trying on Monday last week, I only got a response after contacting one of the companies (Autoglass) via their web site contact form and a follow up email when that was ignored. They came on Saturday - with the wrong windscreen. Rearranged for next available date on Thursday. Then a message on Wednesday saying they were cancelling all appointments except for essential workers etc. So I contacted company and played the age card, as I'm 71. Finally done.

And the saga still goes on, until the car passes.

Stephen.  I think the government has granted a six month grace period for MOT's due to the virus outbreak. 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

StephenBatey

Not for me. Only for cars where the MOT runs out after (perhaps also on) 30th March. Mine falls due 2 days before, so without an MOT I can't legally drive it. My understanding is that MOT expiry dates after that date will be incremented by 6 months. Mine doesn't qualify.

For what it's worth, from memory if the MOT hadn't had the slippage, it would have been April 7th, and qualify.

Edit to add: thanks for the suggestion though.

The present restrictions actually mean that I'm getting more not less social contact since shops locally have the double whammy of not having full shelves, and are rationing. Net result: three shops to visit every other day, rather than 1 once a week. I haven't seen toilet rolls on sale anywhere since the panic started, yesterday we got the first skimmed milk, and also found baked beans. Soap, sanitizers etc I haven't seen.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

anglefire

I went shopping on Thursday morning and with the exception of sanitising wipes got everything including some nice loo roll. Was a pleasant trip out - apart from the 30minute queue at the beginning as the store was fairly empty of people.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

My arthritis is playing up, causing swelling and pain. Did this about 8 years ago and I ended up having horrendous pain and surgery. Hoping it won't be that bad but it has left me feeling rather annoyed.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.