• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 40
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 20
  • Total: 20
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Record, pictorial, documentary.....?

Started by ABERS, April 29, 2010, 08:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Ive just read

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/photoblog/2010/04/ghost_signs.html

and the thought crossed my mind 'What type of photography is this?' does it satisfy any or all of the above? I suppose the photographer has spotted a hole in the market so to speak which has attracted the writer of the blog and got him some publicity. We all try to find something that is unusual or different, or if we tread well trodden paths, try to portray our pictures in a manner that attracts or excites the eye.

Taking picture after picture of the same type, time after time, gets very boring not only for the viewer but for oneself as well, so how do you get around this problem? Do you set yourselves projects, put the camera away for a few days or weeks (a bit drastic that one) or just plod on hoping you will hit on something a bit more interesting?

Before the competition aficionados leap in, the hardest thing about that area of mind stretching is to find a new and novel subject for the next one should you be lucky enough to win the last.  ??? :legit:

Hinfrance

Hmm - I've been taking pictures of the faded signs on the sides of buildings since I got a camera.

Guess I missed the boat there.

Getting around the boredom? Well, just take pictures of anything that takes your fancy.

And hats off to you Alan for not finding any of the challenges challenging - I have to admit that I really struggle for an idea to fit the theme most weeks.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Quote from: Tringle WP on April 29, 2010, 11:29:37 AM

Well, just take pictures of anything that takes your fancy.

That's a classic symptom of boredom surely, not a cure?

Never implied I found the challenges non-challenging, just repetitious, it's finding a challenge that hasn't been found before that's the challenge.

Hinfrance

Ah, but if it's been done before, isn't it a challenge to do it differently the next time? Maybe if we had the same challenge each week it would soon be impossible?

Perhaps I didn't put the first bit well. I walk about looking all the time. Every now and then I see something I hadn't come across before or I am seeing in a new way, and think 'yes, that's going to look good'. For me it's about keeping alert to new possibilities.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.