• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 165
  • Total: 165
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Panasonic FZ300/330

Started by Hinfrance, November 27, 2017, 11:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 02, 2018, 12:50:18 PM
Wowsee, that is a corking shot Andy. Did you get the close up lens with the camera?

No the shot was just taken at full zoom (high resolution setting in menu) and I just processed the out of camera jpeg file with SilkyPix and Affinity.

I think I will investigate a close up and tele along with a couple of batteries as its giving my mojo a lift  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Great to hear you're enjoying it so much.

The spare battery I got is THIS

Had to buy a bunch of dashcams this month after Mrs H had her wing mirror vapourised on the way to work, so no spare cash - but will be looking at the close up lens at some point.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 02, 2018, 01:20:54 PM
Great to hear you're enjoying it so much.

The spare battery I got is THIS

Had to buy a bunch of dashcams this month after Mrs H had her wing mirror vapourised on the way to work, so no spare cash - but will be looking at the close up lens at some point.

Thanks for the page link Howard.

Sorry to hear about the mirror and hope Mrs H is OK.

I think dash cam is a necessity these days and that's on our next spend list as well.

Given the clarity and quality of the Bee shot, for Close ups, I think first off: - I will try a 52mm Closeup 'filter lens' screwed directly onto the lens, while using the iA+ mode which takes the Zoom to 1200mm equiv' (a X2 by cropping) as the in camera crop may effectively cut away the 'any edge distortion'.

I have not tried the 'extended zoom' shooting in iA+ yet, beyond a quick (shaky handheld) test on a short H burst that looks like such a method may be quite promising.

Hinfrance

You are obviously working your way through the manual far more effectively that I have. Never even tried the extended (digital?) zoom.  ::)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 02, 2018, 04:32:23 PM
You are obviously working your way through the manual far more effectively that I have. Never even tried the extended (digital?) zoom.  ::)

You are correct, the 'extended zoom' is digital , all be it at a reasonably high resolution, so the only true benefit gain will be from the optic closeup lens ; and then doing the 'digital zoom' bit on the PC by creating & cropping an even higher resolution image file in Affinity .

Beaux Reflets

Shot on a dull day in between heavy showers;

And another taken in better light

I am really impressed by the Lumix FZ300 ; With good lighting it is on par with my Fuji XT1 DSLR

Beaux Reflets

I am quite looking forward to trying out some close up lens filters on the FZ300 when they arrive.

Hinfrance

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures with the filters too. I do seem to recall that the camera wouldn't focus when I just put the close up lenses on without the extension tube. Let me now how you get on. In the meantime, if I get a chance this afternoon I'll dig out my cheap close up lens set and let you know what happens.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 05, 2018, 11:38:24 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures with the filters too. I do seem to recall that the camera wouldn't focus when I just put the close up lenses on without the extension tube. Let me now how you get on. In the meantime, if I get a chance this afternoon I'll dig out my cheap close up lens set and let you know what happens.

I was wondering about the need for the extension tube, and then decided that if such was the case I would get one, hopefully with a Teleconverter when I have done a bit more research.

Not sure but the Closeup setting in the setup menu may have to be activated regarding a focus adjustment, which I guess can be set up in a Custom mode for ease (since I don't currently use the screen or its additional Fn buttons to save on the battery power).  :-\ Still lots to learn  :tup:

Hinfrance

Just tried it - it will only focus at any kind of useful distance with the close up lens if the zoom is left at the wide end. Maybe you'll have a different experience.

The close up setting in the conversion sub menu is for using the bespoke close up lens with the extension tube, I think it sets the zoom at something like 122mm and the minimum aperture at f4 (if memory serves - it's in the manual somewhere).

Avoid the eBay extension tubes - buy cheap buy twice, the eBay one would not fit the screw thread on the camera lens - I got a Panasonic one from Amazon.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 05, 2018, 01:29:12 PM
Just tried it - it will only focus at any kind of useful distance with the close up lens if the zoom is left at the wide end. Maybe you'll have a different experience.

Physics and maths were never my strong point, but I guess, with an effectively 'floating' front lens; to enable the subject to remain within a selected depth of field, the whole camera body has to be moved relatively as well. Effectively, altering the distance between it and the subject, to accommodate for the difference between the wide and zoomed ends. If that makes sense.

I guess I will find out more when the lenses finally turn up.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.