• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 36
  • Total: 36
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Lunar Lunacy

Started by Bigbill, October 14, 2010, 10:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbill

Hewwo from colder and colder Sheffy,
Now then,not a comp or anything(hope no one objects),with the nightts now getting clearer i was thinking about getting some moon shots done,,just for fun,and the lunar thingy is currently building up,
so,,you lot mind posting some moonshots over the next couple of weeks ??
Ive been REALLY struggling with star trails shots and the Moon will be a poor substitue,,,,lets see your best efforts !!

Been reading David Hammonds wedding post(hows your Richard?) and what a top thread,,,Mr Ryans invaluable advice taken onboard here in Sheffy.

Shine On

Owls now 5th  going up going up going up

skellum

This is one I took about two years ago with a Canon 30D and a Bigma 1/100 sec @ F11

Just Dave

Heres one from me took last year, in my opinion its better to get partial moon shots as opposed to full moon, as you get the details/shadows in the craters and Terminus

Dave
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Malcolm1938

If you are going to try Moon Shots just remember the moon is lit by direct sunlight so over exposure is always a risk.

Spot metering is pbobably best.
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Graham

Nice shot there Dave.....er Daves! :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

bones615

Heres one i posted here a while back, 400d + bigma & heavily cropped. The brightness of the moon is surprising, after a bit of trial & error i  ended up at 1/100 sec exposure @ f10

[/

Oldboy

Quote from: Bigbill on October 14, 2010, 10:57:24 AM
Hewwo from colder and colder Sheffy,
Now then,not a comp or anything(hope no one objects),with the nightts now getting clearer i was thinking about getting some moon shots done,,just for fun,and the lunar thingy is currently building up,
so,,you lot mind posting some moonshots over the next couple of weeks ??
Ive been REALLY struggling with star trails shots and the Moon will be a poor substitue,,,,lets see your best efforts !!

It's best to photograph the moon around dusk after it has risen, as it appears bigger, and there is enough light in the sky to counteract it's brightness.  ;D

Mick

Some cracking shots above guys.  8) I guess this is a good excuse to get my old moon shots out again.  :)

Canon 30D, and Sigma 50-500 lens Handheld  

And

Waxing Crescent

Canon EOS 30D Handheld  
Sigma 50-500 EX DG
1/30 sec @ f/8
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Alfonso_Frisk

Great shots and a great idea Bill. :tup:
I recently got meself a bigma so this is an ideal excuse to have a go at some moon shots.
Thats if the cloud ever decides to clear
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Bigbill

Hewwo from Shivery Sheffy,,
Some top shots above,,,,especialy the hand held ones.
Now then,,,,is anyone going to post any shots from the current Moon Cycle ????
The site owner has very kindly donated a Ferrari for who ever supplies the best shots ??

Shine On

Owls ROOOOOOOOOOL(honest,,they do,,really)

jimthetrain

Here's one from tonight Bill. Stuck it in the weekly comp as well cos I'm lazy. :2funny:
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Bigbill

Great stuff Jim,,,,

Now then,the weather here tonight SHOULD be perfect,,i was up on ye Moors on Fri night,,,,freezing to death(4deg) and it was windy and cloudy,,,,so tonight i aim for my best effort.
Has anyone noticed a sort of "stepping effect" around the edge of the moon shots? or is it just me ??

My top box on my light speed steed failed and ive lost all my filters and holders etc etc on the Hathersage road,,,,,,,,GOOD INNIT  !!

Shine On

Owls now 4th

Alfonso_Frisk

I had a go tonight at around 6/630pm
all I got was a bright disc or an egg shaped bright disc. :uglystupid2:
Tried hand held and monopod with the bigma spot metered and various aps.
I guess I picked the wromg time and wrong phase ?  :knuppel2:
Will try OB's suggestion of shooting around dusk
RR
Alf

jimthetrain

Alf, try setting up the camera to under expose by a bit. That shot of mine above was taken at 18:20 in av mode with an aperture of 7.1 and iso of 400 with minus 1 exposure. It still gave me a 320th of a second shutter time spot metered. Taken with a 70-200 +1.4x converter leant against a door frame. Keep persevering, you'll get there in the end.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Alfonso_Frisk

Thanks Jim  :tup:
will have another bash when the cloud clears.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.