• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 205
  • Total: 205
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Website and domains

Started by jinky, May 02, 2010, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

As some of you know I recently set up a website. Still needs some work and I`ve not put it out there properly yet as I have been having a few problems.

I bought a .co.uk address and directed it towards my luxipics site and all tell me that is correct and working. This link should open it :

www.photographybypauldishman.co.uk

Others say it`s fine in which case I need to put it on business cards / publicity and promote it locally. However when I use IE and go to that site it opens with thephotos not coming up - just a little box with an x in it and a changing number of picture as the slideshow goes on on front page.
However if I open the direct link first:

www.photographybypauldishman.luxipics.com - it goes straight to picture and shows all.

close it and then open the .co.uk one again it works fine?

I have been told to use Firefox by luxipics and do all editing in there as it works best with the site and have installed it to do so. After having the same problems the first few times it now works fine going straight to .co.uk one every time and showing pictures.

Questions -
1.anyone out there on IE8 do you see the photos coming up when you go to the .co.uk address first or do you see the empty boxes with an x.
2. If so why do I not see the same without going to luxipics.com
3. If a problem for others with IE8I will have to use the luxipics address which is too long and also less professional I feel but then so many people use IE8 it has to work with it
4. Should I address the root of my problem to luxipics or 123 domain lot. Both say that all should be well and it shows fine at their end.
5. Is it something I need to adjust on my machine. I have over-written previously saved bookmarks with the new one when having got the .co.uk address to work but to no avail.
My pc is working slowly and groaning constantly at the moment and I know I should have got a new faster one instead of the D700 ordered but...

Anyway this is not an attempt to get you looking at the site so please don`t feel obliged to go through it - just an appeal for help is seeing what the problem is. If everyone else with IE8 can see it then OK I`ll just get on with it and use firefox but if not  have a problem.
Thanks for any tips - away a few days in Stratford on Avon so will look in when I get back for your undoubted pearls of wisdom

ABERS

Hinfrance

I use Opera and have the following results - first link doesn't run slide slow instantly - it takes a while, but then it kicks in. In the meantime there is a small empty rectangular box. The second link runs the slide show immediately.

As for the technical questions I have not a clue.

Good luck.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

IE8 - how many times does that rear its head nowadays when discussing site problems.

It works fine on Firefox on my Mac - though i still don't like the close photo dialogue thing - i would rather it was part of the picture not tucked away in the top right corner.
That aside looks fine to me - looks as though you're heading in the right direction - and that's a good thing.

Jonathan

You're using a frame redirect which can be flakey.

Any reason you can't use a 301?  Google likes these more.  Plus they are server side so work in all browsers.
It's Guest's round

anglefire

I've just loaded from the link in your post and  works fine on IE8.

Using Safari onn my PC and the first image came up with a x - but after going into the galleries (Which seem fine) and back out it was ok. It may have been the time to load the slide show?

And is exactly the same as safari in Chrome. - But this time I waited on the home page and you could see the picture changing - but not actually a picture!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Eileen

The first link just showed xs instead of pictures on IE8 for me. The 2nd link worked fine. When I tried the first link again after having used the 2nd one it worked - which I think is what you've found also.

Mick

Quote from: Eileen on May 02, 2010, 12:49:54 PM
The first link just showed xs instead of pictures on IE8 for me. The 2nd link worked fine. When I tried the first link again after having used the 2nd one it worked - which I think is what you've found also.

Exactly the same for me in IE8.  First link wouldn't show the images, but after visiting the second link which worked fine, a revisit to the first link images showed.

Strange.  ???
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

alan1j

I'm using windows XP and IE7.

The same happen to me as with Mick, Unable to open with images on top link the first time I tried. But after using the lower link, Images visible as well. Like Mick I also then was able to open with images on using the top link a second time. ????

Site looks really good Paul.  :tup:

Best of luck with it. Rgds Alan1j

bones615

I am getting the red cross as well, tried compatability mode and its still showing a red cross.

Simon

Mick

Paul, does your hosting package come with CPanel?

If so you could set a redirect under Domains. 

So, www.photographybypauldishman.co.uk also points to www.photographybypauldishman.luxipics.com

Or is this how you've done it already?
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

greypoint

Just check the spelling mistake on the home page though.. ;)

Jonathan

Had a (very) quick look at your code.

Google says what you're doing has been deliberately disabled in IE8 to stop content jacking.  Basically I could set my site up to be an iFrame that contains your site.  There was a big court case about this in the Hebrides (honest).  M$ seems to have taken it into their tiny brain that the best way to fix this is to knacker the browser and bascailly make legitimate sites work in proepr browsers but not theirs.

Short way round for the moment is add

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7"/>

to the meta tags.  This forces IE8 to emulate IE7 (i.e. act like sensible browsers).  It's possible M$ will recode IE8 to ignore this at some time in the future.

The fact that it works on the second pass is more likely to be a bug in IE8 than anything.

Long term only real solution is to stop using iframes.  Really, you'd be much happier with a 301.
It's Guest's round

jinky

Thanks for your help on this folks. It`s been driving me mad and seems so inconsistent but many of you are finding the same as me - use luxipics link first and ten the .co.uk one works ok. I am sure Jonathan has it spot on and it is the flakey frame transfer so I`ll take it up with 123 domain lot when I get back from sunny Stratford on Avon. Whilst not understanding a word of it I`ll cut and paste your suggestions Jonathan and try and get a 301. I`ve already had a 99 today so that will be 400 :D
Spelling mistake righted on front page now thanks. That was my last change and it`s true that you just miss things yourself when you keep looking at it.
You`re all so helpful on here it is a real treasure / source of info and inspiration - thanks for help and kind comments. I guess if the 301 is not forthcoming I`ll settle for giving the luxipics link that works every time but it looks less professional somehow.

jinky

Well I`ve been chasing 123.reg support re; my frame forwarding and been told:

If you wished to setup a 301 redirect you would need to purchase a Linux hosting package and follow the below link:
http://123-support.co.uk/Answer.aspx?ArticleID=806
Otherwise we would not be able to support the 301 redirect and we can only offer you the 302 webforwarding or you can setup a CNAME forwarding entry in your DNS.

Don`t want to pay out more for whatever this linux thing is but can anyone advise whether 302 forwarding works any better or what this CNAME stuff is/
Trouble is I send a query using he words so kindly given by Jonathan and others and I can no more understand the replies than I can when a party claiming to be more left wing than Labour can go into coalition with the Tories  ::)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.