• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 229
  • Total: 229
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT Thread: Architectural Detail. Weekly competition 3rd June-9th June 2013

Started by Reinardina, June 02, 2013, 09:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Chat thread Architectural Detail. Weekly competition 3-9 June 2013.

I often find it difficult to come up with an idea for the comp.

Spending a week among the many splendours of Winchester might have put this idea in my head. Or maybe it was the workman working on a modern block of flats, that I photographed for this week's competition, that showed up all the horrors, shoddy workmanship and low quality of a lot of 'modern architecture.' (I'll upload the picture, once I finished putting up the two threads.These flats were sold as 'luxury apartments.')

Anyway, I'd like us all to have a go at architectural detail: accents, trim, anything. Good or bad.

Absolutely no restrictions on Post Processing

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 3rd June 2013 to 23:59 Sunday 9th June  2013.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 10th June 2013.
Poll will be up Tuesday 11th June 2013.
Winner to be announced Saturday 15th June 2013.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc.)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night.

Setting the Poll: http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=382.msg37211;topicseen#new

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Reinardina

This is one of the pictures I took for this week's 'At Work' competition. It shows up the low quality design (as in lack of attention to technical detail) and shoddy workmanship of a lot of 'modern architecture.'
In this case, apartment blocks that were mainly built for the 'buy to let' market; on the whole good looking buildings (when new), with the emphasis on looks rather than (build- or living) quality.

Hinfrance

This is a good idea Re. Mainly because I have a subject in mind already!  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 02, 2013, 10:24:42 AM
This is a good idea Re. Mainly because I have a subject in mind already!  :tup:

Glad you're pleased.

I never have any idea what to do (competition wise), I just go out and see what I can find.
Might return to Winchester though, as that place is full of beautiful things.
But then again, I may find the ugliest thing, just round the corner.

Matthew

Ooh, architecture is a wee interest of mine photographically. Lots of old trim and old detail on the cottage, so if I get stuck I'll just step outside my front door!  :dance:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reinardina

Quote from: Matthew on June 02, 2013, 09:05:30 PM
Ooh, architecture is a wee interest of mine photographically. Lots of old trim and old detail on the cottage, so if I get stuck I'll just step outside my front door!  :dance:

Lucky you!
While I was out and about today, I kept my eyes wide open and studied every interesting house I walked past, but did not see anything out of the ordinary.

Reinardina

I originally wanted to go for something modern, but I couldn't get it the way I wanted it. So, in the end, something classical after all.

I'm in with this one:

Cupola

Hinfrance

Got my picture done. All the details are from one of the small houses in a small alley in the medieval village of Issigeac.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Little time this weekend so went to grab a shot of the Corn exchange only to find it covered in netting inside / one edge. Made me look more at the roof and in with this one.

Matthew

Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Delamanda

I like snapping door knobs, so thought I'd keep an eye out for an interesting one this week.  I found one, which I think might win the most revolting doorknob competition, if nothing else.  At first glance, it looks like the sculpture of a hand, but the more you look at it, the more realistic it appears, to the point where I think it's quite disturbing ... it begs the question as to where the rest of the body is.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Delamanda on June 09, 2013, 06:54:22 PM
I like snapping door knobs, so thought I'd keep an eye out for an interesting one this week.  I found one, which I think might win the most revolting doorknob competition, if nothing else.  At first glance, it looks like the sculpture of a hand, but the more you look at it, the more realistic it appears, to the point where I think it's quite disturbing ... it begs the question as to where the rest of the body is.

Probably inside the egg it's trying to crack  :o  ;)

Nothing from me this week but may be I will get some free time before I get rusty -  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Hands must be a popular feature; Howard has photographed one as well.

Sorry you didn't have time Andy, I would have thought the subject right up your street.

Now going to set up the poll. (I hope.)

michaelb104

Nothing from me this week, my camera is starting to become a recluse.........
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Reinardina

Quote from: michaelb104 on June 11, 2013, 08:07:46 AM
Nothing from me this week, my camera is starting to become a recluse.........

My camera is doing overtime and I can't keep up with the editing.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.