• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 70
  • Total: 70
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Panasonic FZ300/330

Started by Hinfrance, November 27, 2017, 11:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

I acquired my FZ300 (EU version, the FZ330 is the UK version, just has a different charger) on Saturday.

Very pleased so far. Here are the first few test shots I did this morning, posted at Andy's request so he can see the kind of results I am getting so far. The shots are all RAW and automatically developed in DXO Photolab. The 'b' shots are at ISO 400 and f2.8, the 'a' shots ISO 100 and F4. I had the camera set on 'P'. I'll try to get some more repreentative shots later in the week.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Looks good. I remember when my old workplace got a new camera without asking my views and I moaned like hell about them getting this model. When I used it I found I quite liked it and was tempted to buy one at one stage. Too many cameras to contemplate another now  ;).

I`m off on my travels again later this week. My wife`s choice of a Caribbean cruise to get some sun. Given that it will be lots of beaches I`ve decided to leave the Nikon and Fuji at home and revert to my LX100 which has been unused for some months now.Just found that DXO you pointed us towards has downloaded support for LX100 raw files which my Lightroom cannot do. Just a bit overwhelmed by the interface on DXO. Do you find it easy once used to it H? Not sure whether it will be easier to go via Adobe /photoshop to convert if I shoot raw.

I took my shot out of the comp entries as I`ll be away from Saturday for 2 weeks and unfair to put anything on others - that and an older photo anyway

Hinfrance

Quote from: jinky on November 27, 2017, 11:34:42 AM
Looks good. I remember when my old workplace got a new camera without asking my views and I moaned like hell about them getting this model. When I used it I found I quite liked it and was tempted to buy one at one stage. Too many cameras to contemplate another now  ;).

Just found that DXO you pointed us towards has downloaded support for LX100 raw files which my Lightroom cannot do. Just a bit overwhelmed by the interface on DXO. Do you find it easy once used to it H? Not sure whether it will be easier to go via Adobe /photoshop to convert if I shoot raw.

I thought you'd been retired for longer than that! Our supermarkets are still trying to shift the FZ200s - very nice but no 4k video, which was one of the main reasons I went for this one. The weatherproofing and astonishing level of versatility was another. Just started playing around with the wifi remote control app on my phone. A bit miffed, but not all surprised that I had to get an SDHC1 U3 class 10 card for it.

DXO, I don't find any trouble with it at all (unlike LR which I have always thought to be a total pain in the posterior). You can batch develop if you want. The interface is completely customisable, although I have never bothered to use anything but the standard layout. I think it does a really good job, but it is not a cataloguing and tagging application. I use ADCSee for that, and quick general editing. If I am really going for it I use DXO and then possibly Affinity to edit an image.

Do have a fab holiday - the Caribbean is a place we have been often, although we usually just stay on Barbados. I did a cruise once, Miami and the Bahamas, really not my thing at all  :(

Back in time for Santa anyway :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Thank you Howard, it is very helpful to see the 100% in RAW shots.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Just working my way through the 300+ pages of the full manual. But on the subject of the lens at f2.8 I would say that it is a little soft wide open, but not that you would notice at usual print or display sizes, and it is remarkably free of CA. By the time you get to f4 the lens is pin sharp at all focal lengths. It also has stops at f3.2 and f3.5, but I haven't tested those yet, what with it raining constantly for the past two days. The maximum ISO I have used so far is 800, and that tidies up very nicely in DXO.

So, in a nutshell I'm still very pleased with it.

Have a look at the excellent macros from Simon Marshall on Flickr. Pretty much all at f4 with an extension tube and a Panasonic close-up lens (I asked him).
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 29, 2017, 03:19:15 PM
Just working my way through the 300+ pages of the full manual. But on the subject of the lens at f2.8 I would say that it is a little soft wide open, but not that you would notice at usual print or display sizes, and it is remarkably free of CA. By the time you get to f4 the lens is pin sharp at all focal lengths. It also has stops at f3.2 and f3.5, but I haven't tested those yet, what with it raining constantly for the past two days. The maximum ISO I have used so far is 800, and that tidies up very nicely in DXO.

So, in a nutshell I'm still very pleased with it.

Have a look at the excellent macros from Simon Marshall on Flickr. Pretty much all at f4 with an extension tube and a Panasonic close-up lens (I asked him).

I thought FZ300 was a fixed lens - how do the extras attach? Just googled 'Panasonic close-up lens' and :tup: can now see how its done.

I wonder if the 260g additional weight would mean a heavier drain on battery power and leverage strain, wear & tear upon the tele mechanism?

Hinfrance

I would imagine so Andy. Where did you get the weight info from? I can find the boxed weights, but not the net weights. If I do get them I shall let you know about battery life etc. I don't suppose I would be using them enough to make any difference to the lens mechanisms.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 02, 2017, 02:23:30 PM
I would imagine so Andy. Where did you get the weight info from? I can find the boxed weights, but not the net weights. If I do get them I shall let you know about battery life etc. I don't suppose I would be using them enough to make any difference to the lens mechanisms.

I looked at the product on Amazon as far as I can recall - 3 or 4 lines above box weight I think product weight is given as 262g.

I'm still doing more research as I sometimes miss the 'convenience of one lens' when out & about point & shooting so to speak - What made you choose FZ300 from all the similar options?

Hinfrance

I chose the FZ300 because of the smaller pixel count micro 4/3rds sensor, the constant f2.8 aperture, 600mm zoom, the wireless flash control, the weather proofing and the IMHO outstanding flexibility it offers.
Starting with the pixel density, this is not that far off that of a 1" sensor running at the most common 20mp plus that seems to be the standard. The f2.8 aperture, although a bit soft at full zoom it nevertheless gives the possibility of twice as much light capture than f4, reducing the ISO, which with a compact sensor is a bonus. 600mm zoom gives as much reach  as I will ever realistically want. Wirelesss jolly useful. Weather proofing is a must in a go anywhere camera for me. Then we have huge user customisation options and a decent smart phone remote control app.
I did think about an FZ1000, but decided on balance the cheaper FZ300 because of the extra reach and I think it's jolly good value for money.
Oh, and I looked at various Flickr group pools and formed the opinion that the results from the FZ300 were the ones I liked the best.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 02, 2017, 05:11:43 PM
I chose the FZ300 because of the smaller pixel count micro 4/3rds sensor, the constant f2.8 aperture, 600mm zoom, the wireless flash control, the weather proofing and the IMHO outstanding flexibility it offers.
Starting with the pixel density, this is not that far off that of a 1" sensor running at the most common 20mp plus that seems to be the standard. The f2.8 aperture, although a bit soft at full zoom it nevertheless gives the possibility of twice as much light capture than f4, reducing the ISO, which with a compact sensor is a bonus. 600mm zoom gives as much reach  as I will ever realistically want. Wirelesss jolly useful. Weather proofing is a must in a go anywhere camera for me. Then we have huge user customisation options and a decent smart phone remote control app.
I did think about an FZ1000, but decided on balance the cheaper FZ300 because of the extra reach and I think it's jolly good value for money.
Oh, and I looked at various Flickr group pools and formed the opinion that the results from the FZ300 were the ones I liked the best.

Its the pixel density bit that I missed - always confusing when looking & trying to get my head around Sensor size to lens specifications.

Hinfrance

It works out at around 30% less, and I have no problem with having 12mp instead of 20mp. The first (and so far only) time I had pictures on public display they were taken with a 10mp DSLR and looked perfectly OK as A1 prints: I am not one of those obsessed with having the most pixels ;)

Noise is always an issue with smaller sensors, but NR these days is very good, and anyway there is not too much at ISO 800 which where I have set the ISO limit for the moment.

You might find this review inspirational :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 03, 2017, 03:38:40 PM
It works out at around 30% less, and I have no problem with having 12mp instead of 20mp. The first (and so far only) time I had pictures on public display they were taken with a 10mp DSLR and looked perfectly OK as A1 prints: I am not one of those obsessed with having the most pixels ;)

Noise is always an issue with smaller sensors, but NR these days is very good, and anyway there is not too much at ISO 800 which where I have set the ISO limit for the moment.

You might find this review inspirational :)

Yes, the video inspires me to think further and perhaps see how it balances in my shaking hands - If my wrists are too lose together I may have a problem if it is not heavy enough to steady the jitters. I also wonder whether I would still wish for a slightly longer zoom  :-\

Thanks for posting all the info.

Hinfrance

If you want a bigger zoom in a bridge camera then you really are looking at the Nikon P900 (no RAW) for the 2000mm zoom, or for somewhat less but only 1200mm the Panasonic FZ82. I don't know about the Canon SX60HS and other make offers in this field - I dismissed them from my long list early on. There are certainly a goodly number to choose from. Happy hunting!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 04, 2017, 10:41:21 AM
If you want a bigger zoom in a bridge camera then you really are looking at the Nikon P900 (no RAW) for the 2000mm zoom, or for somewhat less but only 1200mm the Panasonic FZ82. I don't know about the Canon SX60HS and other make offers in this field - I dismissed them from my long list early on. There are certainly a goodly number to choose from. Happy hunting!

Sadly I do not think there is a perfect camera in the current bridges for me yet - the XT1 will have to do for the moment.

Hinfrance

Indeed Andy, I doubt there will ever be a perfect one, but I'm very happy with the FZ300 (so far!)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.