• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 60
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 33
  • Total: 33
bhphotovideo
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

COMPETITIONS

Started by ABERS, December 15, 2009, 08:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Got up early and trawled through the competitions threads both here on CC and Pradar. Is it me not getting the brain into gear, but is there a disproportionate relationship between views, comments, entries and voting?

I realise that people enjoy these competitions and see them as a way to improve and stir up the old grey matter photographically, but when you examine the entries, on both sites, both are supported by the same enthusiasts each week. Is that an indication that there is something unexciting and not too appealing to the others that look but do not take part and bother to vote?

Perhaps one reason that there is a paucity of entries is the rule of taking the picture between certain times and dates, that's a big put-off as far as I'm concerned and could be a reason that others do not enter.

Why does it have to be a competition? Why can't it be 'My Take' on a subject, a collection of images from contributors to purely view, and enjoy (or not), the competitive element may also be an off-putter for many people. After all what does it mean anyway, an image voted as the best from a choice of a dozen or so by the competitors themselves is hardly a ringing endorsement of photographic excellence. Apologies to all those winners from the past and future competitions, but isn't there a saying about 'In the land of the blind etc. etc.'? :legit:

Just a few observations over my early morning cuppa.

Simple

I fully agree!
I view all the entries for the competition, because it shows me all the creative ways people interpret a subject.
It is this "outside the box" thinking that appeals to me and hopefully learn from.
A "My take on" without a "has to be taken this week/fortnight" restriction, would open up all those stored images from people. That is a good incentive
for people to go through their collection, and would IMO increase the amount of submissions.

I vote sometimes if there is something I really like. I do not submit pictures, because of
1: The time restriction is simply too short.
2: I run two classes with weekly photographic projects. Soon to be three, so another weekly subject is too confusing.
3: Entering the comp means commitment to view / vote / comment, and that is a commitment I can not always give.

Sarasocke

As someone who usually enters both the competitions, I do think it's a pity that not more people enter and/or vote. I'm also actually quite happy with the time restriction as it gets me thinking about what I can do to fit the bill, rather than looking through my archives. It wouldn't be a challenge otherwise.

Entries and votes used to be higher on the old DCM site - if I understand correctly it was even higher before my time, I've been active for almost a year now.

There are plenty of groups on flickr which hold small competitions, usually with no time restrictions. There may be more entries than here, but then the time to enter is usually longer.

Having said that, here on CC most entries are posted at the last minute.

The numer of clicks on both sites is just the entrants looking to see if they maybe have more votes, doesn't always mean that people are having a look and then walking away without voting.

What I do think is a shame is that many can't be bothered to click on the larger picture.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Alfonso_Frisk

I am guilty of,
a) not taking part and b) not even looking and voting.
Again its a time reason for not entering. In fact Ive not had the camera out for 3 weeks. Thats normal for me trying to get the balance right due to working shifts/weekends and home life committments (and sometimes motivation).
I do enter the comp over at flkr araf group now and then but in the main the shots I offer up are from the archive.

This scenario will change next year when thanks to Gordy and his mates I will find myself having to retire at 50 with very little chance of ever being in gainful employment again.
In the short term I will do my best to at least view and vote.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

greypoint

I always vote here - usually take a look on PR but don't vote. I'm afraid I only enter here if it's been possible to get some sort of shot that's reasonably suitable for the subject during the alloted time. The pictures I enter are'nt usually shots I'd consider entering for any other contest - although I never enter any other contest anyway - but more a case of bunging one in to make the numbers up.
Perhaps, as Abers suggests, it would be an idea to have themes/subjects on a weekly/monthly basis - more of an on line exhibition allowing shots from a longer time scale.

Oldboy

While I understand what ABERS says, the whole purpose of these competitions was to get people to take shots that they didn't normally take or were afraid to try. There is no reason why we couldn't do another competition along the lines that ABERS suggests. In fact, Lurkalot has a section for suggesting other competitions or ideas to move the site forward and create more interest for members.  :tup:

Bigbill

Hewwo from shivery and foggy Sheffy,

Have to agree with Abers,,,and,,Old un,,,,,,dont think Comps are worth the the bother myself,but do certainly think its a good idea to get us doing shots we wouldnt normaly do,,,,,
when the same people do the shots every week though,i think the challenge is lessened,,,,,,not an easy one to solve at all !!
Perhaps the no voting idea is the way,then the entries are put forward purely for feedback ??

Shine On

picsfor

I try to enter but do not always get the opportunity to 'get that shot'.
That said it does at least get me thinking.

Same old faces? Probably has its regulars, but i didn't enter on DCM but have started here. I think one or two of the newer members are starting to to enter as well.
The issue is the time constraint - but then i think that is part of the charm.

Out of curiosity does any one think things would be different if there was an actual prize at the end of the rainbow?
Say for instance a quarterly competition with an entry of £1, and a prize of  two thirds being awarded in vouchers with the rest being used to run this site?

There - that'll add to the topic!

skellum

The whole idea of the competition as some have allready said is to get the grey matter working and depending on the theme the entrant may get to learn something new ie: shooting in low light / using flash or at the very least experimenting with cameras & equipment.

When we set up the cranium competition we had numerous debates on how it should be done ( timescale etc ) and what we now have is on the whole a compromise. I see the competition as a bit of fun and also a challenge. I would hate to see it all blow up again into another big debate on how it should be done but thats for the majority to decide...... :'(......... :legit:

bones615

I enter occasionally when I have the motivation + idea or if i get a shot that fits the bill during the week. As others have said its a good learning exercise (for those of us that need it), I like it the way it is & always look & vote.
Johnathon's critique has been interesting the couple of times he has done it, my vote is usually based on which looks best not thinking of why it looks better, its nice to see an opinion with more technical explanations on how it could have been done differently.

Simon

ABERS

Quote Oldboy
There is no reason why we couldn't do another competition along the lines that ABERS suggests.

No not another competiton, let things stay as they are as far as that is concerned. Just a gentle interpretation of your take on a theme, over the course of a month. No critique, no comments just an enjoyment of how others see that theme.
Quote Dave.

"and depending on the theme the entrant may get to learn something new ie: shooting in low light / using flash or at the very least experimenting with cameras & equipment".

Surely as photographers we look at ways of using and experimenting with these things without the need for a prod up the backside.

skellum

Quote Abers

Surely as photographers we look at ways of using and experimenting with these things without the need for a prod up the backside

A theme can take you into an area of photography that some may not as yet of experienced and may not of got around to for a while unless they decided to take on the challenge for that particular week. Also most of us that take part like the idea of themes and believe me its not easy trying to think of one that has not been done before. I think dreaming up a theme ( if you won that week ) is also part of the challenge. Jimthetrain and I have spent may an hour down the pub thinking of  new themes... :-\.. :doh:.... At the end of the day participation is a bit of fun and not mandatory.... :legit:

anglefire

I enjoy looking at the competitions - and enter if I happen to take a picture of the subject. So, in essence the time restriction is a put off for me in that respect. But those are the rules!

I try and vote though and sometimes comment.

I try and comment - but it does tend to be now and then when a picture catches my eye. (Good or bad!)

Abers idea has legs though and sounds a good un!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

I think Dave has said everything that I think about the 'competitions' - fun, intellectual exercise, trying new things some of which you may never have thought of otherwise, and when fortunate enough to be the preferred shot from the previous week having to think up something suitable to follow.

I think that if you only dump back catalog images into a challenge you're not creating anything, just recycling something you are (probably quite rightly) proud to have achieved in the past.

Sad though it may be, not to mention often honoured in the breach, I always try to take a new shot, even for those challenges I participate in that don't have a window for taking the picture in the rules. It's just more fun for me that way.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

oRGie

For me I find having a subject set each week makes me think about creating something to fit the brief, its fun, gets me thinking and learning, so I enjoy it. What Abers is saying is also all quite valid, but I dont think it conflicts with what we do allready in the weekly comp, those who enjoy it and can find time enter, those that dont, dont :)

Abers, please feel free to open a thread in the comp section and post your idea, with instructions on what should be posted, the time frame etc. I will probably post photos to it also. If you need any help let me know. When you post I will take a look and see if there is anything I can do. I'm sure Mick will be happy for us to have a gallery for those shots if that makes sense, or we can just upload to our own galleries and post in the thread. Give it a try and lets see how it works.

I cant think of any reason why we dont have both, they dont seem to conflict or double up in any way  :beer:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.