• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 103
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 109
  • Total: 109
aliexpress
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Want To Be Original?

Started by ABERS, December 08, 2014, 08:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on December 10, 2014, 08:52:58 AM
We have a monthly judging session at the club and occasionally some bumptious prat will ask if the author of the image being judged is present and further ask why the image was taken. What moved the author emotionally to press the shutter at that precise moment. When this question is asked of me I find it delightfully deflating to answer "Well it just seemed a good idea at the time".

I remember reading a story years ago about a chap who was always rushing around. He never had time to relax as he was always in a hurry. One day a friend of his was crossing a busy road when he tripped and twisted his ankle. He lay there in the road as a big lorry came bearing down on him. Suddenly the chap dashed out and lifted him to safety. As he lay there been attended to by a doctor, he looked over and saw his friend strolling off completely relaxed for the first time in his life. The point of the story was his friend had been rushing the whole of his life to be there at the precise moment to save his friends life. So, your answer to the bumptious prat is, you had been preparing yourself all your life to take that image at the time.  :uglystupid2:

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on December 10, 2014, 09:48:02 AM
So, your answer to the bumptious prat is, you had been preparing yourself all your life to take that image at the time.  :uglystupid2:

Yes, that would deflate him too, I think.

Sadly, I have never mastered the in-depth, pompous, highfalutin language required to describe art. Occasionally when I enter photographs for something, I struggle with the 'artist's statement.'

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

anglefire

Forgive me, I;ve not read the article or much of the thread, but I have a theory on art and what turns something into art.

Money.

Put a picture up for a tenner and it is a picture.

Put the same picture up for 10 grand and it becomes art.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

Quote from: anglefire on December 10, 2014, 09:34:28 PM
Forgive me, I;ve not read the article or much of the thread, but I have a theory on art and what turns something into art.

Money.

Put a picture up for a tenner and it is a picture.

Put the same picture up for 10 grand and it becomes art.

That's very true.

Same principle even works for cheap souvenir tat.
A cousin of mine used to run a souvenir shop, and one item the 'traveller' had assured her, would sell like hot cakes, did not sell at all.
When he visited next, she told him to take the stuff back. He took one look, and told her she was selling it far too cheap!
It was duly 'priced up,' and from a piece of tat nobody wanted, it was suddenly transformed into the quality item everyone was proud to take home.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.