• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 94
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 104
  • Total: 104
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Is my camera dead?

Started by SimonW, November 21, 2009, 09:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

My constant companion and trusted servant since 2003, my Canon Ixus 400, has failed me. Part way through my Mum's 90th birthday party of all things. The LCD started showing multiple moving horizontal lines like interference on an analogue television. I hoped it was just the screen, but no, they're ruining every photo it took at well. I assume it's a sensor problem and beyond economic repair. But I would love someone on the forum to tell me I'm wrong and how to fix it!

Do all digital cameras have such a relatively short lifespan compared to film cameras or am I just a little unlucky this time?
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Malcolm1938

Hi Simon
Does not sound too good - some but not all electronic items have a reset button which is usually at the bottom of a tiny hole - I dont know your camera but have a look round for a possible reset button. Try taking out the batteries for an extended period (over 1 hour) and see how it restarts after they are put back. Still no joy an email to Canon service department for confirmation of death... Sorry I cant be more helpful

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

picsfor

yes - would agree with the above, and in answer to you other question - electronic cameras do not have as long a shelf life as film cameras.

That is why you will read about life spans of 'x' shutter actuations. Not all about technology is better! 

SimonW

As CannOffice suggested (and thank you to him for that) I emailed Canon, and although I told them the age of the camera they advised me to send it to their repairer (A J Johnstone in Glasgow) and said they might fix it free of charge. So that's what I did, and the postman has just brought it back - in full working order. They didn't even charge for the return postage.

Amazing, and of course very welcome - a recommendation for Canon.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Alfonso_Frisk

Now that is excellent news and customer service.
Good to see some positives for a change.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Oldboy

Quote from: SimonW on December 09, 2009, 04:32:40 PM
As CannOffice suggested (and thank you to him for that) I emailed Canon, and although I told them the age of the camera they advised me to send it to their repairer (A J Johnstone in Glasgow) and said they might fix it free of charge. So that's what I did, and the postman has just brought it back - in full working order. They didn't even charge for the return postage.

Amazing, and of course very welcome - a recommendation for Canon.

Well if you don't ask you don't receive! Well done Canon. That must have put a smile on your face.  ;D

Hinfrance

That is brilliant - and so rare, which makes it even more brilliant.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

magicrhodes

I had send my D40 back to Nikon after 18 months for a new shutter and they charged me £150... I would have been alot happier if I had had this level of service...  >:( >:(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.