• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 146
  • Total: 146
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Poll for Int'l Weekly Comp - Windown Shopping - 30th March to 5th April

Started by oRGie, April 07, 2009, 01:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your favourite

Oldboy - Next

2 (16.7%)
Irv_b - Unicorn

3 (25%)
oRGie - Brand new mall

1 (8.3%)
Triangle_WP - The Old Shop

2 (16.7%)
Skellum - Shop windown in Preston

4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 11, 2009, 01:48:10 AM

oRGie

You can vote for your own, but thats not very cool  8)

Oldboy

Just given my vote to Skellum, as besides my shot, it was to only one to include something for sale, even if only phones.  :tup:

skellum

I aggre with Old Boy, Most of the competition entries are not a very good example to the theme.

Plus ( Only my views by the way) but looking at the response to the ( Weekly Format ) it does not seem to be working, and most of the small number of participants who needed more time during the week seem to be leaving their entries to the weekend anyway. So it has now become a (Weekend Competition ) again !.

I think that trying to keep hold of some of the Digital Camera Crew ( with the exception of Tringle ) has not worked ( My idea ) they have just gone back and thats that so perhaps those of you who would like to continue some sort of a real competition going on Camera Craniums should now be trying to recruit from families and friends.

This site has over 105 members  ( I know most of them have just registered and thats it ) but we only have 5 entries to the competition this week.

Anybody got any other ideas ?

northbeach

I simply didn't have the time to get out and shoot photographs this week.  :( 

While I basically like the idea of a small window to shoot in for this competition, I think that might be part of the problem.  People lead busy lives and we're not asking people to just pop out and find a nice landscape, the contest sets a nice creative goal and that can take a bit of time to find and shoot the subject.

And since you ask, I think the title of the comp. is  confusing and I also think it needs a higher profile on the site.  A forum is not the first place I'd look for a photo contest.   This is a good idea and deserves a spot of it's own with something advertising it on the front page. 

Very good entries, even if a bit off topic criteria.  But thanks for posting guys. :tup:

Sheila.
"In a hundred years, all new people."  My Gallery

alan1572

indeed northbeech, the week flies by with work and before you know it it's saturday and family things get done, i have intended to post in every comp, but alot of the time the end time of the comp beats me :(
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Hinfrance

Re Skellum's note,

I don't have any better idea other than to attempt to drum up interest amongst family and friends - I will continue to try to do so.

I had a rubbish week this week, most of it spent trying to fix vista (and it's still not working properly).

Promise to try harder.

Howard
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

oRGie

I still think having a week to take a pic is better and gives more people a chance to enter and so did the majority that voted for a week long shoot period.. If you look at dcm you see they have 18 gazillion members and about what 10 entries on average a week, so having 5 from 105 members isnt too bad :) imho if we just keep going in time more will stroll along. I too am trying to get more entrants by pm's to contacts on flickr and dcm. I agree that the title of the comp window shopping was quite strict, but the explanation was a bit broader, ie "The main subject of your picture should be part of a window or a reflection in a window or something seen through a window" although i admit in the end I wasnt happy with my own entry cos it wasnt showing anything you could buy, except a shop in case anyones interested lol :) Not sure what else we can do except keep posting and posting in the other threads on the forum also, the more new posts the more there is too read and as content is key to any websites success its basically up to us.. more questions and answers on general photography, how do i etc, pic of the day, post your best here, equipment write ups, it all helps add content.

:beer:

bones615

A lot depends on peoples level of interest in thier hobby, I personally take pictures when I am on a day out but I don't go out specifically to take pictures. It would be interesting to know how many members regularly visit the site & then the five entries might seem like a good proportion.

Simon

jimthetrain

I made the mistake of reading the title of the comp without looking at the explanation  :-[. May have had an entry if I had done. It's only early days yet so a bit of perseverance may be necessary. Not entered the dcm comp for a while now, it gets a bit too arty sometimes.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

northbeach

One thing I would find helpful is having someone administer the  contest.   Keep the previous winner choosing the next subject but then leave the posting of the subject, the poll and the announcement up to a single person who would administer the contest all of the time.

I'm in a different time zone (behind GMT by 8 hours) and I  never seem to be able to get the tech. end right without help.

Sheila
"In a hundred years, all new people."  My Gallery

oRGie

Well its really a user comp, not a forum run thing, but if anyone needs any help let me know. Also I will tidy up the threads if anything goes wrong ;)

oRGie

Congratulations to Dave  :beer:

If you could post next weeks topic today Dave, that would be great.

Mick

Quote from: northbeach on April 08, 2009, 02:02:23 AM

And since you ask, I think the title of the comp. is  confusing and I also think it needs a higher profile on the site.  A forum is not the first place I'd look for a photo contest.   This is a good idea and deserves a spot of it's own with something advertising it on the front page. 

I agree the comp needs a spot on the front page, and I have now started to build a front page block for this, (hopefully you can see it now)  As for running it via the forums, well I don't have a lot of choice at the moment, and I'm trying to make the most out of the platform we have.

The new front page (International weekly comp) block can be edited by the moderators.  

I simply don't have the time to admin the competitions myself, and I have to say there's a fair bit of time and effort goes into adding the IOTW as it is.  This is made more difficult due to the way it works.  If someone deletes their image of the week pic from the gallery, it messes up the previous image of the week thread, so I have to download them when they are picked, and upload them to my server.  Then link them to the to various blocks and threads.

I also have a test site, which I can test out blocks codes and various other features for this live site.  I'll keep experimenting until I find a way of making these processes easier.

Thanks for your input though.  :tup:

Ps:  In future could we stick to conversations in either the comp Chat Thread, or the Competition ideas thread.  Believe it or not, there's no easy way to move a post with this forum software.  Hopefully I've got someone working on a mod for this.

Locking.

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.