• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 177
  • Total: 177
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

Thanks guys.

I also tend to use Affinity Photo for virtually every aspect of editing now. Including the rescue of any fine detail 'clipped losses' in the occasional 'out of camera ' .jpeg files using the tools available via Develop Persona.  For example, reprocessing an out of camera 9.79MB .jpeg file of a large White butterfly (including a crop making the actual image smaller) increased the file size to a 16.6MB .jpeg

And there are plenty of Tutorial videos available towards expanding my editing skills.  :tup:

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Jediboy

Good skills Andy, loved that photo from the moment I saw it.  :tup:
May the Force be with you.

Chris

jinky

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on June 02, 2020, 02:42:21 PM
Thanks guys.

I also tend to use Affinity Photo for virtually every aspect of editing now. Including the rescue of any fine detail 'clipped losses' in the occasional 'out of camera ' .jpeg files using the tools available via Develop Persona.  For example, reprocessing an out of camera 9.79MB .jpeg file of a large White butterfly (including a crop making the actual image smaller) increased the file size to a 16.6MB .jpeg

And there are plenty of Tutorial videos available towards expanding my editing skills.  :tup:

I`ve just downloaded a trial version to have a look. Seems to be on offer for £23.99 until 20th June so will see what it`s like.Anyone know if it concerts Fuji raws from an xt30 by any chance as reviews seem to offer conflicting opinions on this.

Hinfrance

I think Paul the answer is no. Fuji RAW support seems to be very patchy with photo apps, don't know why. DXO for example can't open any of the Fuji RAW files I have, not a single one.

The upshot is that it will open, but the data will probably not be interpreted correctly. RAW Therapee does, apparently, support the XT30, but that could be apocryphal.

So it could be that Affinity Photo is not for you. That said, I don't usually open RAW files with it, I use 'send to' from ON1 which exports PSDs, and edit those. I do find Affinity much easier and quicker to use than Photoshop, but it's that old horses for courses thing again.  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 03, 2020, 09:02:57 AM
I think Paul the answer is no. Fuji RAW support seems to be very patchy with photo apps, don't know why. DXO for example can't open any of the Fuji RAW files I have, not a single one.

The upshot is that it will open, but the data will probably not be interpreted correctly. RAW Therapee does, apparently, support the XT30, but that could be apocryphal.

So it could be that Affinity Photo is not for you. That said, I don't usually open RAW files with it, I use 'send to' from ON1 which exports PSDs, and edit those. I do find Affinity much easier and quicker to use than Photoshop, but it's that old horses for courses thing again.  ;)

Ah OK. It matters not really as I now shoot 95% of my Fuji shots in jpeg as I love them so much. I do have a free Capture One raw conversion programme if needed. t first glance I couldn`t see the impact of dodge and burn on affinity or one or two other tools. I re-started it and all seemed well. LI like the white balance tool used even on a jpeg. Of course I cannot find a folder with a Fuji raw file in it to test!!!

Edit_ Just found one and it didn`t do too bad a job. Of course the Fuji simulations available in capture One and in camera are not available but not bad. Will try it out a bit more and might be worth £23 for a bit of new training.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: jinky on June 03, 2020, 10:33:12 AM
Quote from: Hinfrance on June 03, 2020, 09:02:57 AM

Ah OK. It matters not really as I now shoot 95% of my Fuji shots in jpeg as I love them so much. I do have a free Capture One raw conversion programme if needed. t first glance I couldn`t see the impact of dodge and burn on affinity or one or two other tools. I re-started it and all seemed well. LI like the white balance tool used even on a jpeg. Of course I cannot find a folder with a Fuji raw file in it to test!!!

Edit_ Just found one and it didn`t do too bad a job. Of course the Fuji simulations available in capture One and in camera are not available but not bad. Will try it out a bit more and might be worth £23 for a bit of new training.

While I generally use out of camera .jpeg files and have not used my Fuji for a while ;  .RAF files will normally open directly in the Develop Persona with Affinity

Hinfrance

IMO it would very likely be the best £23 you've spent in a long time. :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 03, 2020, 02:08:23 PM

I would second that  :tup:

anglefire

Eldest got her results for her degree today - 2-1 - which is fine as she already has a job, just has to get registered and get a PIN and can start work and paying lodgings :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Congratulations to her. Great that she's already got a job too. Very well done. Just fantastic. :tup:

Still got 2 years to go for our daughter. Then another year for her masters. She goes to Uni in the UK, and even though she is a British citizen she does not qualify for any student or tuition loans so it's wall to wall poverty for us for the foreseeable. Although it would be nice to have a car less than 13 years old at some point! But worth it to give the world another astrophysicist :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on June 03, 2020, 03:33:59 PM
Quote from: Hinfrance on June 03, 2020, 02:08:23 PM

I would second that  :tup:

I did buy it in the end. Forgot to go on and pay until 22nd June bbut luckily the offer was still open. That said my first few edits I`m not too sure of. Came out all rather flat compared to what I get with Photoshop and Nik Effex. probably just need more practice.

jinky

Quote from: anglefire on July 01, 2020, 09:49:00 PM
Eldest got her results for her degree today - 2-1 - which is fine as she already has a job, just has to get registered and get a PIN and can start work and paying lodgings :)

Well done. Great she`s got her job sorted too in this world of doom just now.

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on July 01, 2020, 09:49:00 PM

Good timing as she can go down the pub to celebrate now.  :2funny:

I bet you are both pleased as punch?  :tup:

anglefire

Yes we are very pleased.  She is a diagnostic radiographer so it's in the nhs - and she is going to be in the local hospital - which is Covid free so weekly tests.

As for the pub.  Nah we will give it miss for the moment.  Really can't be bothered 😂
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

I've seen not one, but two wild Woodpeckers in the last 18hours! One at a friends last night and one on our own birdfeeder this morning. And also saw a Little owl at our friends too!

These two from home.

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.