• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

End of the road?

Started by Hinfrance, May 22, 2016, 10:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it time to stop the weekly competitions?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
2 (22.2%)
Just take a break
0 (0%)
Allow archive pictures that meet the theme
7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: May 27, 2016, 10:15:59 AM

Hinfrance

With interest in the weekly challenge at an all time low, do you think it is time to stop it permanently, or take a break for a while? If the latter, your thoughts below please. Thanks.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 22, 2016, 10:15:59 AM
With interest in the weekly challenge at an all time low, do you think it is time to stop it permanently, or take a break for a while? If the latter, your thoughts below please. Thanks.

I'm not sure what to think or say Howard, beyond that I hope things pick up again.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

kerbside

H, as i have said before (and it got shouted down) i still think that archive pictures SHOULD be allowed in this competition and therefore would open up the entries IF you cannot get a photograph in the times shown.

This does work with other forums as you know, if a tie in the voting happens the picture taken nearest to the set date would win.

I have only stopped entering on here due to this fact as i have so many other things going on and find other forums more forgiving in their use of said archive pictures.

I always try and get a shot in the week of the competition, however i do not feel pressured having the buffer to fall back on.

Not sure what others think??????????????

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Mick

Quote from: kerbside on May 22, 2016, 10:57:30 AM
H, as i have said before (and it got shouted down) i still think that archive pictures SHOULD be allowed in this competition and therefore would open up the entries IF you cannot get a photograph in the times shown.

This does work with other forums as you know, if a tie in the voting happens the picture taken nearest to the set date would win.

To be honest we're at the point where it's worth trying anything.  So why not take a well earned break from the usual weekly comp, and try your suggested format.

Nothing's set in stone around here.

Thing is, the facility is here for you to experiment and try new things. so it's up to you what you do with it. My advice is, if you have some ideas try some of them out and see how they go.  They can always be changed, abandoned or adapted along the way.

It really is up to you guys to use the platform supplied. (yes I know that could be improved also), and if there was enough activity to justify the work I will.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Beaux Reflets

I am OK with the use of Archive shots.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that when time is limited, there can be the temptation toward 'point and shoot' shots; rather than taking the time to really explore and maximise the play of light in an image for better effect.

David Blandford

As a newbie I find the pressures of life and working shifts means that most weeks I struggle to get to a computer, yet alone behind a camera. Therefore I now try to carry a camera whilst at work however I rarely seem able to find time to do the competitions unless the theme fits in with my work. So being able to enter a shot taken outside the time frame would be an good for me.

The other issue I tend to find is I can rarely guarantee what I am going to be working the following week, which could make setting a competition and doing the poll a problem in the event of a win. That is my penny's worth and I know that for the next fortnight I will be away on holiday. Hopefully you will still be there when I return!         :legit:  :beer:
still trying to paint with light!!

Alfonso_Frisk

I think using archive shots is well worth a go.
Its very rare I have the time to enter the comp but will endeavor to get more involved from this week if it means keeping the site going.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

ABERS

When in the past I've made  critism of the competition as it now stands I've been jumped on from a great height  and labelled  a miserable git and a troll, even when I've made suggestions to perhaps improve it as well as members' creativity and overall photography.

The posts on this thread indicate that time is a major barrier to entry, and I still maintain that having to take pictures on a specific theme within a week usually ends up with a "that'll  have to do"  picture rather than something carefully thought through and worth a second look.

Back catalogues usually comprise those types of images  (carefully thought  through that is).

There seems to be two options

Give a longer entry period, with picture taken on a theme; or

Allow pictures from the back catalogue on a set theme.

For what it's worth I think the latter.

Hinfrance

I second Jeff's, Alf's, and Aber's view on this.

I've added allowing archive images as an option on the poll.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

anglefire

I'm not that active on here at the moment, I look in quite a bit, post occasionally and add pictures every now and then (With some success with IOTW - either because I have pictures that people actually like, or just ones that are new! - no real reason except as ever time is lacking - I can't believe its nearly the end of May.

But using archived shots for the comp would mean I might be able to enter occasionally as I can rarely find time to go out and take one to fit the comp!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

I too, am in total agreement, and if there are more than just a few entries, I might even be tempted to enter. A proper, old fashioned competition would be nice.

To be honest, I got totally fed up with the site, after trying to 'keep it going,' for ages, only to find my face still all over the front page, days later, because no one had reacted.

I hope this will mean, more people uploading images, which would give a bit of variety to the front page.

David, I'm sure someone will help out, if you cannot set the new competition or the poll. Especially if we were to get a 'proper' competition, with people happy and eager to enter.

Good luck to all of us, boys and girls, and fingers crossed. (Only allowed to uncross, to press the shutter.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Well the 'noisy' challenge was a total failure, so let's just forget that one. If we run with this week's 'opposites' that will give us a week off. Then we can restart with the winner of this week's admittedly narrow field setting the following challenge starting Sunday 29th May with the rules changed to allow (if not actively encourage) the entry of archive shots which is the wish of the majority going forward. Then we'll see how it goes.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

DigiDiva

I have been toying with returning, and you know I usually entered the weekly comp, but theres a few things that stop me.....1) the welcome  I might get 2) still feeling unwanted 3) the way things were when I left regarding comments being made at the time 4) the unfriendliness at that time towards me.

I'm not sure things have changed though........have they?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

Nice to see you are popping in from time to time DD. Hope everything is going well for you up in the frozen northern wastes. It's just soggy here.  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Good to see you returning Chris, the more the merrier as they say.

How's business?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.