• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 64
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 20
  • Total: 20
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Back To Basics

Started by Beaux Reflets, February 09, 2013, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

In comparison to SLR there are a lot more setting options on Digital cameras that perhaps are necessary  :-\

Are there too many setting options on digital cameras?

And should camera manufactures go back to more basic setting options?
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

SimonW

Maybe....

I like to be able to set aperture, speed, iso and white balance, and to control the flash power. And an auto-everything mode might occasionally be handy for grab shots. But I think having a choice of too many scene modes - beach, snow, party and many more just gives confusion, and probably leads to many shots being taken on a wrong setting.

I prefer to post-process on a PC so I don't need any of the editing functions many cameras now provide - though I accept that other folk might, for example to immediately show off "finished" pics on the camera screen while away from base.

None of my cameras provide scene modes or editing and I've never wanted to do video so I don't need to go back to basics - I never really left.

But in these days of mass production I guess any new camera has to offer all the functions that anyone at all might want in order to get sufficient sales, and the manufacturers will accept that though very few users will use every available function many will use a unique personal subset.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Markulous

I had various SLRs over the years but it was having a dSLR that really taught me photography. It was (and is - still have it as my IR camera!) a Sigma SD10. Superbly simple with no bells or whistles just giving what I considered essential: usual Av, Tv and M. All important +/- 3.0 exposure comp (most dSLRs only gave +/- 2.0 but 3.0 needed!) and ability to take an external battery pack (photoshoots/weddings). Only shot RAW! So, I *really* learned camera control and image processing!

Nowadays, I do find the separate AF button essential, the custom mode setting and the Auto ISO (with an upper max setting) very useful. Rarely alter the focus point but when I need to set an alternative, it's handy. Otherwise? Still only shoot RAW, so scene modes a waste of time. Still learning stills photography so haven't learned the entirely different skillset of video.

And of course I apply all I learned about the basics to my P&S G11 and Galaxy mobile phone (both have exp comp but only former does RAW!) to give me halfway decent results!
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Matthew

Agreed, mine too has all these "sub settings" of beach, snow....etc....etc....never really used them. I once tried out a couple vs manual set up. I noticed that the pixel size drops depending on what setting you use. For instance, "portrait" will only go up to 6meg, yet I can shoot the same image in full 12meg if I take the time to set up the camera properly in manual. Similarly, "Fireworks" racks the ISO up to 800, which isn't very pleasing to the eye on my camera, yet when I took some in manual, I got much nicer ones at ISO200 and a longer shutter speed.

These different Auto settings are fine for compact point and shoots, as without wanting to come across elitest, the majority of folks using them are wanting to basically do just that.

With a Dslr/Bridge, you assume that the photographer is more savvy and wants to take shots that are a bit more detailed and planned out, therefore would be making the most of manual control to achieve that, making the Auto sub settings redundant.

I feel instead of migrating point and shoot attributes over to higher end cameras, the manufacturers could make better use of the software and extend the manual experience.

Just my humble opinion  ;)
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ABERS

I received a questionnaire from Sony yesterday about the NEX7 I bought last year. It stated that they found users' comments useful in planning their forward development etc, the usual bull that these people indulge in.

So I endeavoured to take part. It soon became clear that my answers would throw Sony's marketing department into a spin. It listed all the attributes and gimmicks that the camera can offer with the question, How often do you use these features? 1 Often, 2 Occasionally. 3 Rarely. 4 Never.

Of about 20 features I marked 17, Never. The three that I marked Often were the different focussing features, the exposure compensation button and the ISO button.

Nowhere could I say that I bought it because it was small, light and had an eyepiece.  ???

Simple

I have very much the same sentiments as what has been said before, just wanted to add the completely senseless things you find in menu's.
On my D300 there is a setting in playback mode that, when you delete a picture, gives you the choice to fall back to the picture before or after the deleted picture.
To me that is such a waste and makes cameras unnecessarily more complicated.

A desire to return to basics was one reason for me buying my first Leica, many years ago. It's a "Model E" (aka "Standard"), is completely mechanical, and lacks focussing aids. It's still a favourite camera of mine.

There's nothing wrong with returning to basics; be it film or digital. Modern cameras have way too much technical wizardy crammed into their bloating plastic... sorry, polycarbonate bodies.

"All the better to do wedding photos with, my dear".

Graham

"Back to Basics"!...Never got away from basics.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.